• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Utility Back

Can't wait until slipper gets back, and with benny R our front stocks along with kepu are a truck load better. with them i reckon we'll see, not scrimmaging dominance, but parity, and then what they bring around the field is monumental.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great video, Austin, show's there are some real opportunities for a team that's good at swinging it wide to good finishers. Anyone know of one?

C

chriscullen

All Blacks team is the oldest ab side in history, also they are the most experienced test side ever averaging 55 tests each.
Their combined age has them a total of ten years older than England's dads army side of 2003 .

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'll just be happy if we win the last 20 mins. This is a very good AB team we are up against and they will know that a victory on Sat secures the bled for 2011 and takes the pressure of the rest of the games until RWC rolls in.

Isn't the Bled a 2 game series this year and the bad guys have their mitts on the cup?

P.S. Sorry, I read your post as a win would secure it for us.

B

Braveheart.

All Blacks team is the oldest ab side in history, also they are the most experienced test side ever averaging 55 tests each.
Their combined age has them a total of ten years older than England's dads army side of 2003 .

Genuinely interested chriscullen.... what's the sentiment like between the AB fans? Could the RWC be a bridge too far?

C

chriscullen

Genuinely interested chriscullen.... what's the sentiment like between the AB fans? Could the RWC be a bridge too far?

I think everyone's just crossing their fingers, when the world cups done and dusted fans will either whinge about the age factor or hail Henry as the messiah for sticking with experience. If I had my way I'd keep with the aging side apart for a swap between muliana and Dagg and Ali Williams and whitelock.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
No issues for me, aside from Cowan...

Still can't believe that he's in the squad... and in the 22!

I hate to say this about a Rats player - but you're right. I know the negative about Baxter - that he is a referee target, but he should have been brought into the squad instead of Cowan when Fat Cat went down. With Alexander having played a lot at LHP for the Brumbs and Kepu playing LHP as we speak, I wouldn't have minded Baxter on the bench instead of Cowan. I would have said the same about Daley had he been fit, however good he is away from the scrum.

But Baxter is not in the 40, so it is idle talk - not that idle talk has ever been frowned upon in this forum.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Dad's army in 2003 was not a bad outfit. This NZ team is better, I think and the winning of Bill will be difficult for anyone else. That said, if we can get our front row and back row right we've got the potential to take it away. Based on what I've seen so far, England is a chance too and SA and France are the smokies. We will know how things stand after Saturday.

A

antipodean

Agree Toddy. I'm expecting the All Blacks to be more direct.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So this is how I see the match ups:

Forwards:

Front Row - set piece to NZ, around the park even
Locks - set piece even, around the park even
Loosies - attack to NZ, defense even

Backs

Halfback - attack to Aus, defense to Aus
Flyhalf - attack even (but depends on how much the game opens up), defense NZ (although even with Digby there)
Centres - attack to NZ, defense to Aus
Wings - attack to Aus, defense even
Fullback - attack to Aus, defense even

So, pretty much what we all knew. Slight advantage to NZ in the forwards, and slight advantage to Aus in the backs. It will depend on who plays best as a team on the day.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually reckon the Wallabies have it in the locks. Thorn is a great player, but this year wasn't up to his standard of the last few years - sadly I think that age is catching up with him. Ali Williams has been noticeably well down on form as well. In comparison, I reckon that Horwill and Simmons are in great form and have been better around the park, especially their tight work. I believe that this is actually one of the few times in the whole of the last decade where we have it over the ABs in one of the forward units.

On current form, our back three is also in a lot better form than NZ's.

Over the last few years I've looked at the AB side and wondered how we would win. This is the first time in a few years I've been more confident that we can match them. I just don't think that AB side looks as strong as the last few years.

I am also looking forward to Myth returning as well, as I rate Crockett over Myth now. Myth is another player who looked his best a few years ago now. And am damn glad that Cowan got dropped for Ellis!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Have remembered the 2003 Bledisloe in Sydney when all the league players: Rogers, Sailor and Tuqiri were together (for the first time??) and they helped to muddy the defensive work. They put 50 points on and thrashed us. We improved in the second Bled and could have won in the end when we had a move going at the end and a try would have got a victory.

Don't know what my point was but the 2nd one was at Eden Park - and later on we smacked them in the RWC semi.

C

chriscullen

Have remembered the 2003 Bledisloe in Sydney when all the league players: Rogers, Sailor and Tuqiri were together (for the first time??) and they helped to muddy the defensive work. They put 50 points on and thrashed us. We improved in the second Bled and could have won in the end when we had a move going at the end and a try would have got a victory.

Don't know what my point was but the 2nd one was at Eden Park - and later on we smacked them in the RWC semi.

This probably confirms my view that regardless of the outcome on Saturday, the world cup is a different game altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.