• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
While the Boks were dreadful, the first 60 from the Wallabies was of high quality. Wallabies were put under no pressure at all on either side of the ball so can't get carried away with conclusions but the next three games should determine who packs down with Horwill, who plays at 8 and if McCabe is the one to saddle up for the tournament.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Sharpes supposed weak scrummaging may come back to bite him now. Simmons was very good. But I think Sharpie went well when he came on. Loved seeing Kepu at the back of the scrum.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's the first time I've seen Pocock and Beale have quiet games. Good signs imo from a team perspective.

yeah there didn't seem to be very many steals at the breakdown....not sure if it just wasn't on or they weren't trying hard enough in that respect.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Re backrow, McCalman isn't big enough to be our test 8. Sure he works hard but he struggles to make an impact. Rocky was much better. Pocock not up to his usual standard.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hard to take too much from that given that the boks b side still did better than the wallabies b side.
POSITIVES
1. Scrum was solid and will only get better with the return of slipper +/- robinson
2. Horwill/simmons combo rock solid - sharpie should be worried
3. Moore>>>faingia - no surprises but emphatic
4. McCabe looks like a no. 12 for the future
NEGATIVES
1. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still looked average
2. Lack of intensity for the full 80min
3. McCalman doesnt have enough impact for no. 8. Need Palu. Otherwise Samo?

R

rugbyfan

Re backrow, McCalman isn't big enough to be our test 8. Sure he works hard but he struggles to make an impact. Rocky was much better. Pocock not up to his usual standard.

Through McCalman may not have the impact Cliffy does, i find he gets through alot more work and is more effective and mobile around the breakdown, same goes for Samo.

Pocock's standard is higher than everything else, even though he didnt have like 10 turnovers he was still present, were you watching??

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree we need to start looking outside McCalman, he's not having a good enough effectiveness. Clearly Samo and Palu but you wonder if Samo hadn't been given a shot at the 22 already will he ever?

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
I think that Big Dog Ben McCalman gets sold a bit short on here sometimes. He may not catch the eye like a Palu or Samo, but does the unflashy grunt work consistently and doesn't seem prone to having the odd off day or mad moment like the other two either. Rocky is your impact-with-ball-in-hand loose forward.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What I liked even more than the long-range attack was the constant competition at the breakdown. The Boks were forced to clean out at almost every ruck to retain possession. If the Wallabies can take this to the next level then they'll do well in the RWC.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Saffers learnt tonight what Australia did last weekend. A TEST is not the place to be playing second and third stringers in mass numbers. Will be interesting to see what happens over the ditch next week and whether they can stay strong mentally to put up a fight. Still saw the drop off for us when we cleared the bench, but Slipper,TPN, Barnes will stiffen that. Will have to watch the balance too, would hate to be hanging on against the ABs' with forwards on a wing for 10 mins. Good win, now lets get some consistency in the performances over 80 mins.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think that Big Dog Ben McCalman gets sold a bit short on here sometimes. He may not catch the eye like a Palu or Samo, but does the unflashy grunt work consistently and doesn't seem prone to having the odd off day or mad moment like the other two either. Rocky is your impact-with-ball-in-hand loose forward.

Two points from that:

1. I don't think mccalman needs to be great with the ball in hand in tight but it would be good for balance if one if our loose forwards was. Rocky for me isn't good in tight with ball in hand but is good wider out.

2. If mccalman was making some more dominant tackles it would balance out. At the moment he is making tackles but the likes of ioane and McCabe make more dominant tackles. There was one point he backed off instead of going up and driving the Boks back.

It might end up being a horses for courses selection at 8 and also depend on who is in the tight 4 (eg slipper in for Alexander brings a higher workrate in the tight 5 and may better allow for a samo or Palu to play 8).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Saffers learnt tonight what Australia did last weekend. A TEST is not the place to be playing second and third stringers in mass numbers. Will be interesting to see what happens over the ditch next week and whether they can stay strong mentally to put up a fight. Still saw the drop off for us when we cleared the bench, but Slipper,TPN, Barnes will stiffen that. Will have to watch the balance too, would hate to be hanging on against the ABs' with forwards on a wing for 10 mins. Good win, now lets get some consistency in the performances over 80 mins.

We only had a forward on the wing because we cleared the bench to give them a run since we had already won the game. It won't happen in a close game or rwc knockout match.

IronAwe

Bob McCowan (2)
Even thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) scored that try, I was shaking my head when he dummied Ioane. Really should have given it and not hogged the ball, GLORY...

Totally agree.

Whilst I thought we did well in attack, I think we looked a little vulnerable in defence at times.
McCabe played well and I think will make the 12 jersey his own given a bit more time.
Forwards need to go to ground and not try and force those last minute passes. That's why they are forwards. (looking at you Alexander...)
However, having said that, thought Ben Alexander had a much better game tonight than previous.
And finally, without wanting to stir up a hornets nest, was Higgers actually playing on the wing in the end? He came on for Beale, so couldn't have been in the forwards?? Not a bad game plan to be honest.

T

TOCC

We only had a forward on the wing because we cleared the bench to give them a run since we had already won the game. It won't happen in a close game or rwc knockout match.

i actually think Fainga'a came on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) because his wrist looked slightly injured... Phibbs subbed for Genia.. Then Beale looked like he had twinged something and came off injured(think it was precautionary).
Its the detriment of playing with only 2 back reserves, your up shit creek if you get a couple of injuries, luckily it didn't mean much tonight.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Lots of positives: scrum, lineout, Simmons, Rocky, Genia, backs fine without being miraculous.

This kind of game makes me worry about England. They might have beaten the Wallabies tonight, then come out again after 10 and beaten the Boks. Just not a very high standard of rugby.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
i actually think Fainga'a came on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) because his wrist looked slightly injured... Phibbs subbed for Genia.. Then Beale looked like he had twinged something and came off injured(think it was precautionary).
Its the detriment of playing with only 2 back reserves, your up shit creek if you get a couple of injuries, luckily it didn't mean much tonight.

Yeah but genia wouldn't have been subbed in a tight or more important match.

Status
Not open for further replies.