• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Trans-Tasman Super Rugby 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it is much better given it means referees aren't bottling decisions for fear of impacting games too much.

It was pretty farcical how frequently obvious red card offences that were going to lead to suspensions were only given yellow cards. Even in Super Rugby AO this year that happened a lot early in the season.

The Sevu Reece yellow was clearly a red in the final, IMO.

A few years ago the tackle in the air on DMac would also have been a straight red. They seem to have gone softer on those again.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)

A few years ago the tackle in the air on DMac would also have been a straight red. They seem to have gone softer on those again.

Yep, Lions player was red carded in 2017 final against the Cru for that tackle, albeit slightly worse than the DMac one

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The goal line drop-out rewards teams pinging it into the in-goal rather than running it. Should go back to a 22.

I think this is the compromise for not getting an advantage for being held up in goal.

On the weight of things this is an overall advantage to the defending team.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I think this is the compromise for not getting an advantage for being held up in goal.

On the weight of things this is an overall advantage to the defending team.

Rather have the attacking team rewarded for running it over the goal line than the defending team punished for fielding kicks in-goal.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

As recently as last year it would've been a Red but WR (World Rugby) changed the decision-making framework effective March of this year so that how the player lands is key: head- or shoulder-first is Red, anything else is Yellow & he landed on his side so Yellow.

I thought so & said so, too, but the revised framework gives the refs a lot more discretion & what probably saved Reece was the fact he was stationary & there was no real force in the hit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought so & said so, too, but the revised framework gives the refs a lot more discretion & what probably saved Reece was the fact he was stationary & there was no real force in the hit.
I thought Reece hit him clearly on the chest and slipped up, so thought yellow was correct (and even tough), you could see it clearly from head on shot. Red card is meant to be direct to head I thought.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rather have the attacking team rewarded for running it over the goal line than the defending team punished for fielding kicks in-goal.

I'm the opposite. I already think the laws make it very hard to defend a team from close range and giving a small carrot to the defending team is good here.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Stick this on the wall of every AU team. Bookies don’t rate us with all 5 NZ teams a bigger chance

Attachments

• B9E4CE4A-5A08-4B4D-B624-84D984D4D45E.png
    B9E4CE4A-5A08-4B4D-B624-84D984D4D45E.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 180

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The goal line drop-out rewards teams pinging it into the in-goal rather than running it. Should go back to a 22.
I don’t mind that, watching a team put a contestable kick into the in goal rather than phase after phase of forward play is a better spectacle.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really? I thought it completely distracting and simply added to swathes of mis-managed non-playing time.
Yeh you are right I could imagine this would get tedious - it probably was more first time I saw it gave some novelty value that would wear of quick for reasons you outlined. Did not think this through as you are right would add to non playing time so not helpful.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stick this on the wall of every AU team. Bookies don’t rate us with all 5 NZ teams a bigger chance

That's primarily because the five NZ teams get to play all the Australian teams and none of the NZ teams.

Quite possible that the Reds or Brumbies could be the second best team in the competition and miss the final because of the way the draw works. That said, it's silly that they have longer odds than the bottom 2 NZ teams.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
That's primarily because the five NZ teams get to play all the Australian teams and none of the NZ teams.

Quite possible that the Reds or Brumbies could be the second best team in the competition and miss the final because of the way the draw works. That said, it's silly that they have longer odds than the bottom 2 NZ teams.

Still, seeing that hurts a bit. I'd love nothing more than for the Crusaders to lose to the Brumbies & Reds in the next fortnight and stick it to those writing us off

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought Reece hit him clearly on the chest and slipped up, so thought yellow was correct (and even tough), you could see it clearly from head on shot. Red card is meant to be direct to head I thought.

Nonsense, he smacked him in the face.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

To be fair its just varying degrees of extremely unlikely. The Blues second most likely to win? having a laugh.

Crusaders should walk it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Still, seeing that hurts a bit. I'd love nothing more than for the Crusaders to lose to the Brumbies & Reds in the next fortnight and stick it to those writing us off
This is where I worry after such positivity in Australian rugby we don’t do so well in TT and watch that positivity quickly disappear. Nz rugby has depth we can’t match. And the answer should not be to shrink our teams as we need the footprint for relevance in our crowded sports market. Anyhow we will see how we go but to me I would not be surprised if we hear more calls for having our own domestic competition retained.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Couldn't see the Tahs odds there. I imagine if I could get $100 on them it gets into 'I never have to work again' territory!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Point of initial contact is no longer listed as mitigation, either, I believe.

https://resources.world.rugby/world...f-18e02e7f7e24/Head_Contact_Process_EN_v1.pdf

Previous versions specifically mention your "slipped up" scenario but this latest one doesn't. Perhaps an actual referee could enlighten the rest of us?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Point of initial contact is no longer listed as mitigation, either, I believe.

https://resources.world.rugby/world...f-18e02e7f7e24/Head_Contact_Process_EN_v1.pdf

Previous versions specifically mention your "slipped up" scenario but this latest one doesn't. Perhaps an actual referee could enlighten the rest of us?

Ok, well I thought it had to be direct, but going by that the ref was bang on, and I understand why he talked about low speed of players, as probably not a high degree of danger. I wondered why he said the player had almost stopped and was flat footed.
See you learn something everyday (or somedays;))

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair its just varying degrees of extremely unlikely. The Blues second most likely to win? having a laugh.

Crusaders should walk it.

You right about Blues being second could be having a laugh
DP, zer0 and kiwi :p:D