• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Roy Masters is a League journo who loves to upset AFL and now rugby fans. There is not one source in his article that the ARU paid $400k. Why would he come from the woodwork with an exclusive? Who from the ARU, Tahs or Folau's camp would divulge this information if it was true?

If you followed his predictions of the AFL and NRL TV deals he was repeatedly wrong. That's his track record.

When the ARU was looking for a new coach after Connolly, Masters wrote an article saying that they had to recruit Alan Jones as he was the best candidate. He hates the game and loves to shit stir.

RL is upset that Falou has come to rugby. He has written this article to save face for the NRL, discredit Folau and upset Rugby fans.
Allen is quoted as a source for the proposition that there was a top up: once that's established it's only a question of how badly the ARU has erred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Roy Masters is a League journo who loves to upset AFL and now rugby fans. There is not one source in his article that the ARU paid $400k. Why would he come from the woodwork with an exclusive? Who from the ARU, Tahs or Folau's camp would divulge this information if it was true?

If you followed his predictions of the AFL and NRL TV deals he was repeatedly wrong. That's his track record.

When the ARU was looking for a new coach after Connolly, Masters wrote an article saying that they had to recruit Alan Jones as he was the best candidate. He hates the game and loves to shit stir.

RL is upset that Falou has come to rugby. He has written this article to save face for the NRL, discredit Folau and upset Rugby fans.

Il start by saying that I probably shouldn't have commented last night because it followed one too many cold milks at my Christmas party...

We don't know if the article is true, but things like this have a way of been leaked, it could have been an ARU employee that didn't necessarily agree with the recruitment.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)

It's a shame about this article, Mr. Masters is capable of something alot better.

It seems to me that it is intended just to divide us rugby folk (like we haven't had enough of that this year).

I won't be quoting too much from that article.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just on the top up alone, if a team has room in their budget to take on a short term contract like this fair enough it's their gamble. But I don't see why the ARU or any National Union should top up a short term contract for someone who'll be doing well to nail down a regular starting spot for the Tahs let alone pull on the green and gold.

If it was a nominal top-up and he and the Tahs have a fantastic season then it was a smart piece of business by the ARU but many will probably say more by luck than judgement.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Look guys I know it's a internet forum and it's what we do but I think we should wait for a few more facts before we damn the ARU.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Eels offer = $750,000 per season for 4 years
Tahs offer = $250,000 per season for 1 year

Nothing Folau has said so far leads me to think he is so keen on rugby, he does not sound passionate at all about the move. I can't see him turning down half a million bucks to come to the code for 1 year. The journo may have a bad reputation but IMHO the numbers without an ARU contribution don't stack up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Eels offer is complicated, the salary cap auditor didn't allow them back-loading so it's not as easy as 750k per season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Look guys I know it's a internet forum and it's what we do but I think we should wait for a few more facts before we damn the ARU.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
doesn't quoting Allen as saying the ARU "helped" mean its more probable than not that the ARU gave him a top up: even if they just gave him cabcharge vouchers to help get him to training there was no justification for that.
The ARU was in a completely different place when Lote and Sailor came over and they, incidentally, had been playing at the highest level in a much more similar code than IF has been playing for 2 years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Someone has posted that a Tin Hat has proposed a theory that the QC (Quade Cooper) Settlement and most likely ARU Top up of Folau's contract were part of a vote buying manoeuvre for the ARU constitutional changes.

NSWRU were obviously not about to let QRU get away with $400k for QC (Quade Cooper) without a quid pro quo for their vote.

It all seems to fit. Petty but typical of what seems to occur with some regularity out of ARU/NSWRU/QRU powerbrokers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's a shame about this article, Mr. Masters is capable of something alot better.

It seems to me that it is intended just to divide us rugby folk (like we haven't had enough of that this year).

I won't be quoting too much from that article.

Masters is a good journalist, but a like a lot of league journos and commentators, he feels the need to try to find a way to make a negative comment about rugby at every opportunity. Others who are even worse include: Rebecca Wilson, Jim Wilson, Paul Kent, just about anyone on channel 9, etc.

When these guys talk about many issues in league they'll make a comment like "we don't want to end up like rugby". What it really shows is how insecure some of them feel about their own game. Whilst they know that AFL are cashed up and soccer is the largest game in the world, it is rugby which competes for the same type of athletes and appeals to people who favour contact sports.

I don't mind league as a game, but the journos and commentators are, by and large, small minded boofheads who fail to realise the insignificance of their own sport beyond NSW, QLD, Auckland and the north of England.

It's usually better to ignore such people.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I didn't realise it was masters' article: I've never read one before that actually made sense. Maybe he's improving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Given there's not much on-field action worth talking about, I thought this might be worth it's own thread.

With the stories floating around in the last couple of days about the problems getting Folau back into the NRL, what are the chances of getting him back to rugby instead - and would it be a good thing?

IMO he could well be what the Wallabies need, and chuck him along with a change of coach and the Lions tour next year it might be the ticket to getting rugby out of the doldrums in Aus.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing from those with time watching him in both the AFL and NRL (and at schoolboy level).

Just wanna say - I called it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.