• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not many are unsuccessful, and most played both codes growing up. All the talk of good League players 'not getting it' is a bit of an exaggeration I find. Maybe it's a Rugby vs League mentality to put Rugby on a pedestal over League in terms of skill. Fact is they're all generally great athletes and adapt pretty well to the game.

Look at some recent league converts:

Sonny Bill Williams - All Blacks
Berrick Barnes - Wallabies
Joe Tomane - Wallabies
Cooper Vuna - Wallabies
Lote Tuqiri - Wallabies
Wendell Sailor - Wallabies
Mat Rogers - Wallabies

Even the less successful ones:

Ryan Cross - Wallabies
Timana Tahu - Australia A
Clinton Schifcofske - Australia A
Jesse Mogg - Brumbies

They make a good fist of it more often than not.
Tahu played for the Wallabies

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying going from league to union is impossible, no way at all. Just that, as an individual, he doesn't seem to be a very intuitive learner, and he's only got 1 year to get it right.

Ready to eat the hat, be happy to.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Peter Ryan.
Ryan McGoldrick.

And the other way, Garrick Morgan. What a success that was!

To be fair, Mark McLinden wasn't too bad for the Reds.
Can't say too much about Willie Carne, though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
More and more young blokes are going to try their hand at both codes. This shouldn't be seen as a negative, but as a positive.

It doesn't mean that rugby should not develop our own talent, but we start miles behind league in terms of junior player numbers. Talent knows no geographical boundaries and league dominates in southern and western Sydney, where there is a huge pool of boys, youths and young men who have the ability, if properly coached, to play rugby. Many of these players will have had little or no exposure to rugby in their formative years as there probably isn't a village club nearby but there are 2 or more junior league clubs close to where they live and league at school.

This shouldn't mean that we right them off as leagies who have no idea about rugby. We should be thinking of innovative ways to identify class athletes and get them into rugby. You have to pick the right ones, which is where talent indentification comes in.

Long term of course NSWRU and ARU need to spend buckets of money setting up junior/village clubs in this part of Sydney.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tahu played for the Wallabies

We seem to dislike memes here, but still.........

tumblr_mcglkogOk31qh1l5wo2_400.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

I think some of the best value converts have come across with either a rugby background or minimal fanfare.

I thought Choc and Mac were both great for the Reds.

Ryan Cross was a good convert, but he did play Aus schoolboys. Probably a better rugby grounding.

What Folau has against him is that they are no longer gifting the jerseys for converts like they did for Sailor, Tahu Tuquiri(ended up doing quite well) and Rogers (would have made it anyway).

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
We can debate the league/union debate all day but even with the lists above you've got guys like Polla Mounter and Wally Lewis who were Aussie Schoolboys before league as was Cross at Waverley. So if the cream of the union guys went to league for the money then came back to Rugby are they converts?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He has committed to just 6 months of S15. He hasn't played rugby since he was 15. Can anyone remember him passing the ball in League- I can't. He hasn't ruled out returning to League next year or playing in Japan.

And yet when you take into account the ARU fine, he is getting the same money as Quade Cooper. Geez.
He played in the centres for the Broncos at times

My concerns are about his ability to adapt in weeks positionally

Henry said that it took SBW 4 years to become a rugby player and not just an athlete who could play

Methinks he will do some great things and quite a few dumb things. How the ledger tallies in 6 months - dunno

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes SBW was not great at all in his first year in Toulon, he made a lot of simple errors and was caught out defensively often. I really have doubts that he will make the 22 often in 2013, that's why I would've preferred he earned big $$ in France for 1-2 years before playing Super rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
SBW was a league forward Izzie is a naturally gifted back in any code. I think everyone is going to get a little surprise on the skill level he has.

RL 2nd rowers often play the inside centre role in the right/left structure of most modern league teams

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
RL 2nd rowers often play the inside centre role in the right/left structure of most modern league teams
Good point but I don't think Izzie will be asked to direct defensive patterns from inside. Catch, run ,drop back ,catch high ball :) run over QLD backs etc(that was a fun dig don't shoot me). He'll be asked to read overlaps but they do that in league.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good point but I don't think Izzie will be asked to direct defensive patterns from inside. Catch, run ,drop back ,catch high ball :) run over QLD backs etc(that was a fun dig don't shoot me). He'll be asked to read overlaps but they do that in league.

They do, but often on just one side of the field for their whole careers, guys like Tahu had major issues in defensive reads at 13 because he could be managing 40m of space and overlaps (not just a 15m channel(ie defensive decision making, not just tackling)) and passing to his wrong side

With Folau's limited time, I just can't see him playing anywhere but wing, and then we will see his understanding of the work ethic off the ball needed, not just hit ups and catching high balls.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
yesterday there was a story in the paper where Folau was being asked about playing in the Lions Series. Today mcKenzie giving his two cents; stating that he doubts he'll be involved in the Lions series.

Seriously the Media are really eating up the Folau Defection Saga. The truth is Folau has 0.00% chance of playing for the Wallabies in next years June tests. He'll need at least an entire Super season to find his feet and prove himself. Even guys that have proved themselves at Super level (such as Tomane or Speight) wont get a call up for the Lions tour if they dont already have test match experience. Any respectable rugby journalist knows this reality. Nevertheless they write the story.

The ARU is already benefiting heaily from Folau's signing by way of an increased presence in the media.

Hopefully Folau has enough success this year that he decides to stick around for the 2015 WC. By then I would expect him to be considered in the same vien as O'Connor, Ioane, and Beale in terms backline importance.

O

Ole Two Blue

I think it's a great coup for rugby. in terms of recruiting a talented player and also arguably the most high profile Polynesian rugby player of either code. So marketability will also benefit.

And from a playing perspective, here's hoping the Tahs don't teach him to kick like they have to every other backline player in living memory!! Run the ball Izzy, from anywhere.

I'd play him on the wing too. Or atleast until I'm convinced he can organise the defence effectively enough from 13. The Tahs outside backs on paper look very impressive, issue is though who they play at 9,10,12. McKibbin's pass is average at best, Barnes kicks too much at 10, Carter can't (won't) pass at 12 (sorry Bruce, I know he's your love child) and it will be interessting to see where they play Foley. I am a huge fan of the passing and deception ability of Volavola and believe he'll be a darkhorse in getting that 10 jersey. I would anticipate they'll play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15.

If they want to attack, then I'd like to see something like this.

9- McKibbin (isn't there anyone else)
10- Volavola
11 - Folau
12 - Barnes
13 - Horne
14 - Mitchell
15 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

then when Horne gets injured (we all know he will) the options available would be either moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Foley to 15 or Folau to 13 and Turner onto the wing. BIG question mark over the 9 and 10 though. Perhaps Foley plays 10 til he goes into the typical Uni conservative style. If Barnes plays 10, none of them will get the ball.

if Barnes plays 15, they could only play Carter at 12, which means we'll kick more often than not and when we run it, we'll turn it over in contact as per last 5 years.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is Folau's 2012 done right (in my opinion):
  • Starts from the bench and moves into the starting XV mid-season as he learns about the game and (no doubt) the Tahs get some injuries.
  • During the Lions window he plays Shute Shield rugby.
  • Post Super Rugby he plays NPC in NZ, get a shitload of rugby into him in a very short window. There would be literally nothing better than him playing 2 times every week for a short period, this is something SS doesn't offer.
  • Take him on the Spring Tour only to play midweek games (which we will hopefully have) unless he is coming along excellently.
That is all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Glad to see the positive comments are starting to flow. I'm still thinking of investing in a hat factory though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://sphotos-b.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/559772_10151233194582144_615623281_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.