• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
Players have been going back and fourth between codes for decades. This is no big deal. People change jobs for all different reasons including financial. Izzy should have the freedom to choose. You only need to stay loyal to the contract you sign.

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
That's a bit random mate, no one was having a go at him jumping codes.

True.

I was just responding to the title of the thread in light of the huge amount of social media having a go at him precisely for jumping codes.

I think it needed to be said. But I can see how it sounded random.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's a bit random mate, no one was having a go at him jumping codes.

You might not have, but some are. At the grass roots lots of us try to get kids over from league all the time and most who come go well and enjoy their rugby.

The people who say that rugby is so complex that good athletes who happened to grow up playing league can't play it, are in my respectful opinion, wrong. (Not saying that you said that, but again some have)

We should be encouraging every young bloke who likes contact sport to give rugby a go, not pushing them away by trying to pretend that the game is too complicated for them to understand or play.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
With all the shit going down recently in rugby re performance of the Wallabies, finding a new CEO, Quade's issues, salary cap bs etc, Folau's signing has brought some good positive news to rugby for fans, sponsors, players and all other stakeholders.
Surely good news is good news.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
yesterday there was a story in the paper where Folau was being asked about playing in the Lions Series. Today mcKenzie giving his two cents; stating that he doubts he'll be involved in the Lions series.

Seriously the Media are really eating up the Folau Defection Saga. The truth is Folau has 0.00% chance of playing for the Wallabies in next years June tests. He'll need at least an entire Super season to find his feet and prove himself. Even guys that have proved themselves at Super level (such as Tomane or Speight) wont get a call up for the Lions tour if they dont already have test match experience. Any respectable rugby journalist knows this reality. Nevertheless they write the story.

The ARU is already benefiting heaily from Folau's signing by way of an increased presence in the media.

Hopefully Folau has enough success this year that he decides to stick around for the 2015 WC. By then I would expect him to be considered in the same vien as O'Connor, Ioane, and Beale in terms backline importance.
I think he would be about a 20% chance to play, or at least make the bench. This is based on injuries, not skill. If you add skill to the mix then I think a 30% shot at the bench would be fair.

I cant think of a reason he wont be as good if not better than Sailor or Lote.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With all the shit going down recently in rugby re performance of the Wallabies, finding a new CEO, Quade's issues, salary cap bs etc, Folau's signing has brought some good positive news to rugby for fans, sponsors, players and all other stakeholders.
Surely good news is good news.

That is one for the Waratahs Positivity thread. waratahjesus would approve.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
In other news, where is waratahjesus ?? He seems to have been missing of late
Coaching in WA with Axel?
Gone to AFL in code swap with Folau?
Interviewing for ARU CEO role?
Putting together the 3rd tier rugby comp?
Negotiating Quade's deal?
Clarifying school scholarship rules?
Finalising impact of ARU Governance impacts with Mark & Peter?
Settling Cheika family into Sydney?
Maintaining the ceasefire in middle east?
Setting up fight cards for rugby players?
Reviewing Nuci?
Looking for Jason Allen?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
HG Nelson is predicting, that Izzy will play in the 2014 Soccer World Cup, then the 2015 Davis Cup.
Pretty sure he will be better at both these sports than was at AFL.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You might not have, but some are. At the grass roots lots of us try to get kids over from league all the time and most who come go well and enjoy their rugby.

The people who say that rugby is so complex that good athletes who happened to grow up playing league can't play it, are in my respectful opinion, wrong. (Not saying that you said that, but again some have)

We should be encouraging every young bloke who likes contact sport to give rugby a go, not pushing them away by trying to pretend that the game is too complicated for them to understand or play.

We'd get two or three guys coming across from League a year. Some stayed other left. Ironically it was the ones who weren't necessarily the stars from their League experience, that worked their way through transition tended to get more into the game and enjoyed it a great deal more. They were the ones who stayed.

We never discouraged anyone, but we didn't just roll out the red carpet. The first training sessions were often fairly steep learning curves. We got some really good Rugby players via this.

T

TOCC

And so it gets released that Folau signed a $250'000 plus a $400'000 top up from the ARU...

So sick of the ARU wasting money on mungoe converts, we aren't even in need of outside backs yet the ARU signs him on top dollar... He better re-sign for longer then 9 months or il be pissed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was in favour of the tahs signing him on the basis that he seemed he might have that "x" factor.
Finding out if he had the X factor was worth the cost of a s15 contract.
Giving him an ARU top up reported to be at the higher end of top ups is unjustifiable in terms of his likely immediate contributions and casts considerable doubt on whether the ARU has any faith in its development programs.
If QC (Quade Cooper) was, as claimed and apparently widely accepted, only worth an incentive contract (albeit that, eventually, he called the ARUs bluff) with his background in this game at the highest level, how can this bloke be put in the top echelon of wallabies, when he has no track record?
$400k buys a lot of training gear for junior clubs!
Why also wouldn't the ARU stipulate that he play for the Rebels or Force - why should the Tahs get the help from the ARU to sign him?
Is there any medium term planning going on?

"The $400,000 top-up is at the high end of the scale, consistent with the amount paid to rugby league defectors Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri and Mat Rogers, who switched at the peak of their careers.

Folau has wasted two years in AFL land, losing confidence and tackling/passing skills, as well as about 10 kilograms of muscle mass, although Allen points out the ARU are also looking at him as a sevens player."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...st-lured-izzy-to-waratahs-20121207-2b0yv.html

Folau will be picked in the match day 23 for all tests in 2013 irrespective of form: they can't justify doing otherwise and it's exactly the same issue they had with Sailor.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
And so it gets released that Folau signed a $250'000 plus a $400'000 top up from the ARU.

So sick of the ARU wasting money on mungoe converts, we aren't even in need of outside backs yet the ARU signs him on top dollar. He better re-sign for longer then 9 months or il be pissed.
Roy Masters is a League journo who loves to upset AFL and now rugby fans. There is not one source in his article that the ARU paid $400k. Why would he come from the woodwork with an exclusive? Who from the ARU, Tahs or Folau's camp would divulge this information if it was true?

If you followed his predictions of the AFL and NRL TV deals he was repeatedly wrong. That's his track record.

When the ARU was looking for a new coach after Connolly, Masters wrote an article saying that they had to recruit Alan Jones as he was the best candidate. He hates the game and loves to shit stir.

RL is upset that Falou has come to rugby. He has written this article to save face for the NRL, discredit Folau and upset Rugby fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.