• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No old wounds here Gnostic. After all, Gregan was the one being picked whether or not he warranted that. The wounds seem to be with those who think (and thought) he should have been replaced by Whittaker.

On the other point, if a dominator type of No 8 is wanted, then I would prefer Houston (or as suggested by FF (Folau Fainga'a), Timani) rather than Palu, as they offer similar skills but have more time left in the game than Cliff, and would therefore imo provide better long term reward for the Wallabies. But, clearly, Cheika doesn't see it that way. If a Pooper type of combination is wanted, then I agree that McMahon would be the logical backup to either Hooper or Pocock. If a more skillful No 8 is the goal, then when he's fit Holloway should be a shoe-in.

There, four suggestions to what I see is a problem area, and not a Brumby amongst them.

The wounds are that people get caught up in considering only the individual and not the team dynamic which gets some individuals selected over others who 'individually have better form but when the whole team performance dynamic is considered maybe the sum of the parts is greater than the individuals form would suggest.

I think Houston is being looked at for the EOYT and was brought in to make it clear what is required in terms of fitness and combination into the backrow.

There is a reason why Timani hasn't been considered and I'm not sure what that reason is, maybe the assessment has been made that the performance ceiling is exceeded by other individuals. Wrong or right I don't see him on the radar at all. So again we come back to Palu as last man standing in that role, it is the only reason I can come up with for his selection given his pretty poor form up to the game against the Chiefs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will be surprised if Palu makes the matchday 23.

I'm not overly surprised that he is still in the squad though. Cheika obviously likes the attitude and leadership he brings and feels that he brings out greater physicality in the other forwards.

Most of the alternatives that people have brought up such as Luke Jones and Lopeti Timani either don't play 8 at all or generally don't.

T

Train Without a Station

Gnostic at the end of the day, I think it's been shown that when Cheika makes his mind up about a player he doesn't really change it.

He had no interest in either Holloway or Timani at the Waratahs, and that has remained based on squad selections and mid season camp attendances.

Adam Coleman's omission is another indication of this. Despite doing the rounds throughout Europe to bring players back, there was no word of even any discussions with Michael Ala'alatoa about coming back to Australia before signing a contract extension this year. At that time Kepu was not coming back and Holmes was already gone after this year. Surely an up and coming THP was worth talking to.

We'll see this more now that he's got 5 squads to choose from, previously his only DNP's were in the Waratahs squad at some point from 2013 to 2015.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic at the end of the day, I think it's been shown that when Cheika makes his mind up about a player he doesn't really change it.

He had no interest in either Holloway or Timani at the Waratahs, and that has remained based on squad selections and mid season camp attendances.

Unless your David Pocock.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
That's ridiculous. He didn't just get dropped: he got promoted to the national setup. He didn't make the cut this time. He'll probably get capped sometime this year. How fast do you want it? This isn't a Playstation game.

I very much doubt that Coleman himself is at home having a neurotic moan into his Cornflakes. That's mainly an Internet thing.

Now I just think we are arguing over semantics.

He earnt a chance to be in the squad, I don't agree with you that he was "fast tracked".

"Dropped" ..well technically he did, but I believe you're implying it wasn't a harsh 'dropping' which I agree with. Will he get capped this year? Hopefully, but what I'm saying is, that's a pretty short turn around to go from being pretty much ranked 7th, to being in top 4 locks which is how many are usually carried in a squad, with only a handful of games to prove himself.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Adam Coleman's omission is another indication of this. Despite doing the rounds throughout Europe to bring players back, there was no word of even any discussions with Michael Ala'alatoa about coming back to Australia before signing a contract extension this year. At that time Kepu was not coming back and Holmes was already gone after this year. Surely an up and coming THP was worth talking to.

We'll see this more now that he's got 5 squads to choose from, previously his only DNP's were in the Waratahs squad at some point from 2013 to 2015.

That is a very strong statement based on two seasons at the Tahs with a pretty stable squad and the biggest issue in Year 2 was the second row.

It is also based on a Season compromising a RWC year which is the end of 4 year cycle and an EOYT where he didn't pick the squad.

No a real good sample size to accurately make such a strong assertion.

Holloway is not a great example as he was behind Palu as I said in a Championship side and a RWC year. The Pooper selection was left field an came at the expense of his "start" 8. Never been a big fan of Timani (Jnr or Snr) so I can understand that. Coleman, well it is another question about what sort dynamic you think he can bring and taking into account the fact that he is a total rookie over others who may be better.

As for M. Ala'alatoa, again maybe he sees something better in those options that remain, such as Smith, Talakai and Robertson, and thinks that with Giteau rule eligible Kepu that position is adequately filled at Wallaby level. Obviously I would like him playing at an Oz Super side and maybe in grand conspiracy theory style he is just learning the illegal tricks of the Crusaders to bring them home.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Holloway and Coleman will both figure in Cheika's plans by EOYT tour time, if fit.