• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I was having trouble working some of the players out from my seat - but was Toby Smith still there as well?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
So we got found out on the bench when Horne was injured. Is he out for next week with concussion? If so I'm going to say again that I think Naiyarovoro would be a good strike weapon. Especially if Lilo slots into 12. Yarde had enough trouble with DHP, I can't imagine he'd hold himself against the War Rig. Then have Morahan or Hodge on a 5-3 bench split.

If Pocock is unavailable I would hope Cheik picks a conventional 8 and Puts Skelton to start or on the bench.
The English defended terribly through the backline, we were just let down by the 50-50 calls. With Lilo directing play I expect we'll do much better.

T

Tip

SoS Quade & Genia for Bledisloe 1. I've been singing this exact tune for four years straight now ;)

If we're going to play side to side footy, I'd rather a 10 that can exploit umbrella defenses with his long passing game than a 10 who's idea of straightening the attack is to dummy and go himself every second time.

Phipps has spent too much time on the Harbor, now his passing resembles a certain bridge.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I guess bringing in Quade for a test out of the blue would give Foley some breathing space again to show that he's clearly the best option we have right now.
Or it will show what alot of people have known for ages, which is that foley doesnt have the playmaking ability to cut it at this level. Other then the test against england at the RWC (which i concede was probably the greatest performance from an aussie flyhalf since larkham) can you name a test that hes played very well at? I can remember a fair few decent test matches where he just distributes and runs without putting a foot wrong or right but hes also had plenty of shockers. If the prerequisite for Foley being good enough at this level is to have another bloke shoulder his main responsibilites eg. Beale or giteau, then i would rather pick someone else. Hes played almost 30 test matches now and only 1 of those was a very good performance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At this point he's the best option we have.

It's clearly an area of weakness for the Wallabies that we don't have a player can produce a consistently strong performance but thinking that Cooper or anyone else is going to come in and change things dramatically is pure fantasy.

Maybe Cooper returning to Super Rugby next year will improve competition and raise our overall standard but he will need to play better than he has in the last few years.

Lilo has come off the bench the last two weeks and played poorly. To'omua has been out injured for a long period of time.

Beale is probably out for the rest of the year.

It does seem like we need to return to the dual playmaking options at 10 and 12 but the cupboard is pretty bare right now, particularly as a result of injuries.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Or it will show what alot of people have known for ages, which is that foley doesnt have the playmaking ability to cut it at this level. Other then the test against england at the RWC (which i concede was probably the greatest performance from an aussie flyhalf since larkham) can you name a test that hes played very well at? I can remember a fair few decent test matches where he just distributes and runs without putting a foot wrong or right but hes also had plenty of shockers. If the prerequisite for Foley being good enough at this level is to have another bloke shoulder his main responsibilites eg. Beale or giteau, then i would rather pick someone else. Hes played almost 30 test matches now and only 1 of those was a very good performance.

Exactly. I want to see this backline this year:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Nabuli
12. Giteau/Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. DHP

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
At this point he's the best option we have.

It's clearly an area of weakness for the Wallabies that we don't have a player can produce a consistently strong performance but thinking that Cooper or anyone else is going to come in and change things dramatically is pure fantasy.

Maybe Cooper returning to Super Rugby next year will improve competition and raise our overall standard but he will need to play better than he has in the last few years.

Lilo has come off the bench the last two weeks and played poorly. To'omua has been out injured for a long period of time.

Beale is probably out for the rest of the year.

It does seem like we need to return to the dual playmaking options at 10 and 12 but the cupboard is pretty bare right now, particularly as a result of injuries.
I think coopers form last year was as good as foley when they were both still competing for the jersey, cheiks chose foley which is fine because as i said both were playing equally average. The difference is that cooper hasnt been able to string together consistent game time since 2013 where i think as a team we performed the best we have in half a decade on that spring tour and the final bledisloe game in Dunedin where Quade was MOTM. As of right now with no cooper, i agree. Foley is unfortunately the best we have. But if Quade gets a full season of Super rugby under his best i cant see him not being a much better option

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But if Quade gets a full season of Super rugby under his best i cant see him not being a much better option

Sure. Let's talk about it once he's performed in Super Rugby next year.

Cooper fans might have thought he was an even money bet to be the starting 10 last year but most pundits were pretty certain it would be Foley and weren't surprised when that played out.

You're relying on Cooper reproducing the sort of form he last showed three years ago. Let's start considering it when it happens.

We'd all love to see Cooper back at his best but it has been a substantial period of time since it has happened.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Compared to foleys average test form over his entire career? I know theres a lot of ifs and buts about what im saying, but it was just in response to you saying that if we brought Quade back it would demonstrate how foley is our best option, which is also only a hypothetical that presumes quade wouldnt be back to his best if he got the game time he needs.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Sorry for wording that poorly, hopefully you get the gist of what i meant. I suppose both of us are arguing a point that is just a hypothetical at the moment since Quade isnt back so we dont know who the better option would be

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sure. Let's talk about it once he's performed in Super Rugby next year.

Cooper fans might have thought he was an even money bet to be the starting 10 last year but most pundits were pretty certain it would be Foley and weren't surprised when that played out.

You're relying on Cooper reproducing the sort of form he last showed three years ago. Let's start considering it when it happens.

We'd all love to see Cooper back at his best but it has been a substantial period of time since it has happened.

Had his shoulders not fallen apart in 2014 and 2015 it's likely he is still the starting flyhalf (he was rumoured to be Links 1st choice 10 for the French series)