• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's still a yellow card.

Could definitely say Nabuli was hard done by on at least one of his yellow cards as well. If we're comparing them and saying Nabuli's yellow cards are a problem we can't just pretend Dargaville's didn't happen.

I just don't think there are many arguments to put Dargaville in the squad. The only argument is that the Brumbies were the top Australian side so we're trying to select more of them to make it look balanced.

Realistically we're talking about the fringe of the squad likely to be cut when it is reduced anyway.

Not at all BH. It would be in recognition that success on the field relies on more than individual players and experience. We would all have to concede the Brumbies had something going for them that set them a little apart from the other Aus franchises. Maybe combinations? Better individual form? Better defenders? More passion (using that abortion of a term)?

The only area of the game I believe another Aus team outshone the Brumbies this year was with the Force"s attack. Combine the Force attacking capabilities with the Brumbies' defensive efforts, topped up with one or two others who are genuinely in form, and we just might have a Wallabies side that is competitive.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not at all BH. It would be in recognition that success on the field relies on more than individual players and experience. We would all have to concede the Brumbies had something going for them that set them a little apart from the other Aus franchises. Maybe combinations? Better individual form? Better defenders? More passion (using that abortion of a term)?

The only area of the game I believe another Aus team outshone the Brumbies this year was with the Force"s attack. Combine the Force attacking capabilities with the Brumbies' defensive efforts, topped up with one or two others who are genuinely in form, and we just might have a Wallabies side that is competitive.

The Force scored the second fewest points in the Aus conference. And the second fewest number of tries. Is there another measure of attack effectiveness you are using?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They ran rampant over the Tahs and they have the Wallabies Defence coach full time?

Thanks for the irrelevant information, of which I am quite aware. I was commenting about attack over the season by measure of points scored and tries scored. By both measures, the Force did not have the "best" attack. Is there another measure of attack? The Tahs shitty defence, if anything, makes the Force effort against them an outlier in any data set, since quite clearly, the Tahs defence was shitty. But, once again, we weren't talking about defence. Until you chimed in.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Thanks for the irrelevant information, of which I am quite aware. I was commenting about attack over the season by measure of points scored and tries scored. By both measures, the Force did not have the "best" attack. Is there another measure of attack? The Tahs shitty defence, if anything, makes the Force effort against them an outlier in any data set, since quite clearly, the Tahs defence was shitty. But, once again, we weren't talking about defence. Until you chimed in.

I think what the Brumbies and the WF had/have in common were coaches whom the players played for.
Coincidence that they were both assistants to Jake W?
IMO, another F/up by the ARU in promising the job to Jake and then shafting him. Now we are stuck with Chek who I think is overwhelmed at international level.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think what the Brumbies and the WF had/have in common were coaches whom the players played for.
Coincidence that they were both assistants to Jake W?
IMO, another F/up by the ARU in promising the job to Jake and then shafting him. Now we are stuck with Chek who I think is overwhelmed at international level.

Who knows? I know it has nothing at all to do with my post you quoted though.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe the Force did not perform well in terms of tries scored, but remind me how many of our backs would walk onto other Super Rugby teams. How many of the Force's backline would make the Tah's backline?

I might be mistaken, but I think the point BR was trying to make was not perhaps how successful the attack was, but rather how we tried to attack. We saw a lot of really good set piece moves (Think Peni's try in Rnd 2, or James VA's try against the Sharks I think, or Meakes' try against the Rebels). We didn't try to offer up stodge. Add a few higher calibre players into that backline and I think it would have been humming. From my point of view, the intent and the buy in were there but the execution was sometimes off and execution only improves with practice and combination. I am really excited about the level of improvement we might see if the Force are around in 2018.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The Brumbies scored 315 points to the Force's 313 and 41 tries to 36. Or in other words, the Brumbies only got one extra try compared to the Force every three games.

For a team that had the Australian attack coach as their HC, I wouldn't be suggesting the the Brumbies performed any better than the Force in attack.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
The Brumbies scored 315 points to the Force's 313 and 41 tries to 36. Or in other words, the Brumbies only got one extra try compared to the Force every three games.

For a team that had the Australian attack coach as their HC, I wouldn't be suggesting the the Brumbies performed any better than the Force in attack.
And yet both teams did better than the two teams fancied to take out the Australian conference. Rugby is just as much about defence as attack, but I guess that memo hasn't got through to Qld and NSW yet.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
And yet both teams did better than the two teams fancied to take out the Australian conference. Rugby is just as much about defence as attack, but I guess that memo hasn't got through to Qld and NSW yet.

more about defense than attack

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The only area of the game I believe another Aus team outshone the Brumbies this year was with the Force"s attack.
I'll just make it more obvious for those posters above who have all jumped in with absolutely nothing which validates this statement.
Is there another measure of attack effectiveness to besides points scored and tries scored that proves this point? This is the only question I asked. It seems a hard question as no-one seems able to answer it, rather just obfuscating with a bunch of parochial waffle.

T

TOCC

All the aus sides were rubbish, some were just less rubbish than others

That's not to say that some teams didnt do well in some areas, whilst shockingly bad in others. Waratahs attack was quite good, but defence absolutely woeful, which is concerning given Grey is Wallabies defence coach.

Likewise with Brumbies, their defence was actually very good, but their attack was woeful... again concerning that Larkham is the Wallabies attack coach