• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies may have a small contingent in the 45 man squad, but unlike the Force and Reds for example, you'd say ALL of the Brumbies players will survive the cull to 33.

Brumbies 7/7 to survive cull. Powell, Carter, Arnold, Sio, Ala'alatoa, TK & Speight will all be around.

Reds 4/11 to survive. Moore, Thor, Simmons, Rodda, Douglas, Korzyck, Genia, Hunt, Perese, Magnay, Nabuli, you'd say only Moore, Genia , Kerevi and 1 of the 3 locks were guarantees now Hunt is injured. (I do think Quade will get recalled though)

Moore TPN Latu
Sio Ala'alatoa Kepu Robertson Ainsley/Cowan
Coleman Arnold Carter Rodda/Douglas
Hanigan Dempsey Timani Mcmahon Hardwick Hooper
Genia Phipps Powell
Foley Quade
Beale Hodge Kerevi Tk
Naivalu Speight Koroibete DHP Folau

+ 1. Keep an experienced lock, prop or another centre (eg. Cowan, Douglas, Meakes) or it will be a developing player for squad experience like Uelese, Thor or Perese

Tahs 10
Brumbies 7
Reds 5
Force 5
Rebels 5

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think Nabuli is likely to remain in the squad when it is whittled down but I still think he is ahead of Dargaville.

Dargaville managed one yellow card from 10 games (vs 15 for Nabuli), had a lower tackle success % and substantially inferior attacking stats.

Personally, Id take Newsome over either, but I am probably biased.
Id get Newsome and Banks into the squad ahead of Nabuli and Koribiete.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I don't think Nabuli is likely to remain in the squad when it is whittled down but I still think he is ahead of Dargaville.

Dargaville managed one yellow card from 10 games (vs 15 for Nabuli), had a lower tackle success % and substantially inferior attacking stats.

Nabuli is out too, don't know the specifics. Tom Decent tweeted it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wasn't Dargaville's yellow card that BS one he got for taking the player out in the air even though he was going for the ball (and watching the ball the whole time)?

It's still a yellow card.

Could definitely say Nabuli was hard done by on at least one of his yellow cards as well. If we're comparing them and saying Nabuli's yellow cards are a problem we can't just pretend Dargaville's didn't happen.

I just don't think there are many arguments to put Dargaville in the squad. The only argument is that the Brumbies were the top Australian side so we're trying to select more of them to make it look balanced.

Realistically we're talking about the fringe of the squad likely to be cut when it is reduced anyway.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Realistically we're going end up with, as the rugby podcast boys say, a bunch of bums that don't deserve a look in when it comes to Wallabies caps. This isn't a whinge that more Brumbies should be in there, although if Fardy and Alcock weren't heading overseas, they would have definitely earned their place. I'd take old guys with passion and commitment over young guys with shit attitudes any day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't have picked Dempsey in the squad and certainly think he has to drop out when the squad is whittled down.

I don't see why you'd take Alcock though. Hooper, Hardwick and McMahon would all play ahead of him.

I think there are a couple of players within their wider squad that don't deserve to be there and a couple that are hard done by missing out. On the whole though I think we'll get down to a squad of just over 30 players and there will be very little to argue about in terms of who shouldn't be there that is and vice versa.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
So, Cheika's "toughen 'em up" routine has resulted in the injury of two players so far. I wonder how many more will go down before we play a game?

Three sessions a day, including hill sprints is asking for trouble- what are the S&C staff thinking? It's pretty telling that both injuries have been lower-leg injuries.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't have picked Dempsey in the squad and certainly think he has to drop out when the squad is whittled down.

I don't see why you'd take Alcock though. Hooper, Hardwick and McMahon would all play ahead of him.

I think there are a couple of players within their wider squad that don't deserve to be there and a couple that are hard done by missing out. On the whole though I think we'll get down to a squad of just over 30 players and there will be very little to argue about in terms of who shouldn't be there that is and vice versa.

The official number allowed is 33.

Cheika has already said Hanigan & Dempsey were 6's, Timani and Higs were 8's (now Mcmahon) and Hoops & Hardwick were 7's. He has also invited Korczyk to train which is what he did last time. Without Fardy and RHP, then Dempsey will be in the squad as a 6. This is a standard breakdown which allows the addition of 1 more. Whether for us it's a development player, or an extra centre/OB. For June it was 6 x OB with Nabuli.

3 x hooker
5 x prop (2 lhp, 2 thp & 1 both sides)
4 x lock (2 lineouts 2 enforcers)
6 x Backrow (2 each of 6, 7, 8)
3 x halfback
2 x play maker
4 x centre ( 2 ic, 2 oc)
5 x outside backs (3 wings, 2 fbs)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, Cheika's "toughen 'em up" routine has resulted in the injury of two players so far. I wonder how many more will go down before we play a game?

Three sessions a day, including hill sprints is asking for trouble- what are the S&C staff thinking? It's pretty telling that both injuries have been lower-leg injuries.

Hunt's injury is from prior to camp. My understanding is he just had surgery and the prognosis is worse than expected.

Latu was injured playing Shute Shield in the second last week of the Super Rugby regular season.

Did Nabuli get injured during camp or was his injury also from prior to that?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Possibly they should be already fit enough that this stuff is a breeze, if not, why not?

They are all professional rugby players who want to be Wallabies

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Hunt's injury is from prior to camp. My understanding is he just had surgery and the prognosis is worse than expected.

Latu was injured playing Shute Shield in the second last week of the Super Rugby regular season.

BH, you should know better than to diminish an opportunity to kick Cheika ;-)

Seriously though, I think Nabuli's injury was pre-existing too. It's a knee injury and he limped off towards the end of the Reds' final game.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)

They've been doing fitness in Brisbane- from what I've seen there's nothing to suggest that Hunt didn't participate in that.

Nabuli was fit for the Reds' last game (and I don't recall him going off injured- though I stopped watching at about 60 minutes).

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
They've been doing fitness in Brisbane- from what I've seen there's nothing to suggest that Hunt didn't participate in that.

Nabuli was fit for the Reds' last game (and I don't recall him going off injured- though I stopped watching at about 60 minutes).

Latu's injury is reported as neck --- I'd be interested to hear how that injury was related to hill sprints ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latu's injury is reported as neck --- I'd be interested to hear how that injury was related to hill sprints ;)

Tolu Latu has a neck?

That's the first I've heard of it.

160926_lau.ashx