• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Tahu at 12 with Horne at 13. Horne floats and tracks well, Tahu's popped passes in traffic will give Horn lots of fun.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
spectator

You and I have seen Horne play 12 in schools rugby and not many other posters would have; so they would have him at 13 were they have seen him play for the Tahs, and Tahu at 12, where he played for Oz A. Since Horne played outside centre in the S14 we saw very little of his ball playing ability nor the odd sly kick he can do.

It makes a lot of sense to play Tahu at 12 and Horne at 13, and yet, when I saw Horne play 12 for NSW Schools in 2006 and 2007 I was moved to post that he had all the attributes of a schoolboy Horan. As such he could be the long term Waratahs inside centre if they signed him up, said I, provided he could take his game to senior rugby.

A bit of water has gone under the rugby bridge since then; so it's probably more likely that Horne will play outside Tahu, and having more rugby experience will handle the defensive choices at outside centre better.

We all assume that Tom Carter will be overlooked. I thought he was a terrific in some games for the Tahs this year and couldn't play much better in the style that he plays, and yet I also thought he was a bit of a firewall to the ball going out wider, sooner and more often.

The other two will be chosen in front of Carter but he will be recalled if Tahu and Horne don't shine.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You and I think the same way again, Lee. (And yet no-one votes me knowledgeable!?) I reckon your big man has to be on the outside. Which is why Nono-Smith doesn't work for me.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm confused Scarfie. :nta:

Big man on the outside would be Horne 12 and Tahu 13. Lee is suggesting the opposite, if I read it correctly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley in coaching transit lounge

By Bret Harris
August 13, 2008

AUSTRALIA forwards coach Michael Foley appears on the outer in Robbie Deans' Test set-up after The Australian learned he is a strong contender to join the NSW staff.

There has been speculation Warringah coach John McKee, who guided Central Coast Rays to the Australian Rugby Championship title last year, was favourite for the job as forwards coach because Foley had priced himself out of contention.

But a source close to the NSWRU said Foley was still in the race, with a decision expected in the next 48 hours.

If Foley secures the Waratahs' job he is unlikely to continue with the Wallabies when his contract expires at the end of the year.

Foley was part of former coach John Connolly's 2007 World Cup coaching team along with attack coach Scott Johnson. When Deans replaced Connolly as coach after the World Cup, both Foley and Johnson still had one year left on their contracts.

The ARU decided to release Johnson but Foley stayed on, forming a new coaching team with Deans and Jim Williams.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
spectator said:
I'm confused Scarfie. :nta:

Big man on the outside would be Horne 12 and Tahu 13. Lee is suggesting the opposite, if I read it correctly.

I reckon Horne 12 Tahu 13. I'm reading between the lines of Lee's post.

Lee?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Geez guys - I wasn't stating a preference - just reconciling speckie's choice of Horne at 12 and Tahu at 13 with the understandable thoughts of others who want them the other way around.

They want them the other way around because they have never seen Horne at 12, or not very much.

Tahu has proved himself in professional rugby at 12 but not 13. Horne has proved himself at 13 but not 12, except in schools rugby for NSW.

Even the Oz Schools coach last year preferred Horne at 13. Whether that was because he thought Horne's excellent midfield partner, Ben Tapuai, was better suited to 12 and/or Horne to 13 is moot. Both fellows are top centres but in my opinion Horne was played wider because of his superior pace.

[Incidentally watch out for Tapuai to make his mark for the Reds sooner rather than later - he's a cracking young player.]

I would prefer to see Horne play 12 in the Super 14 but if we want Tahu play in the midfield with him, Horne will have to play 13 until T can prove he that he has the ability to read the game defensively one spot wider.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies assistant coach Michael Foley will join the Waratahs coaching staff next season after signing a three-year deal with NSW Rugby.

The former Test hooker will end a three-season stint with the national team when he takes on a new role as a Waratahs forwards coach from January.

"I have enjoyed my time with the Wallabies immensely and there is still much to be done over the next few months," Foley said.

"Looking further ahead, what this opportunity with the Waratahs provides is an appealing opportunity to be at home more frequently.

"With four children, that's very important to me and my family.

"The travel demands over the past three seasons have been extensive."

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Foley's acquisition would provide continuity in the coaching ranks.

"Michael's been working hard with our forwards for some time now and we've seen the results in the Waratahs set piece play and scrummaging in particular," Hickey said.

"During the Super 14 Michael has been a familiar face around the place so to know that we've got him full time now is a major coup for NSW Rugby."

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/MediaExt.../HSBCWaratahsSnareFoleywithThreeYearDeal.aspx

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Great news. Wonder what QLD are thinking, when they wouldn't let Foley even help out their scrum. Excellent re-poach.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
An upgrade in talent for sure, but I feel sorry for bigbird, he has done a great job with the Tahs pigs.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
An upgrade in talent for sure, but I feel sorry for bigbird, he has done a great job with the Tahs pigs.

A shame to lose Tuynman but a new coach is entitled to pick his staff without feeling he's obliged to keep the old ones. It would've been nice to keep Less Kiss as he's done an outstanding job coaching defence over the last five years.

Tuynman, like Kiss, won't have any trouble picking up a gig elsewhere, possibly overseas, and can look forward to returning to Oz a better coach in the future.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comments from the Rugby Roundtable on Foley.

They said he is a good coach, but a bit of a fluffbunny.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Burke Waratahs' new kicking coach

August 20, 2008

ONE of the Waratahs favourite sons, Matt Burke returned to the fold as their kicking coach and stressed he bore no grudges about the controversial end to his playing career with the team.

The former Australian full-back and centre Burke was the first Waratah to play 100 games and still holds the team's all-time points scoring record of 1172.

Burke effectively retired after suffering a knee injury last October following a three-and-a-half year stint with English club Newcastle.

He showed no trace of bitterness about his exit from the Waratahs following the 2004 season when the then coach Ewen McKenzie opted against offering him another contract.

"There were never any grudges to bear in Waratah-land. It was a big part of what I did and where I came from for a number of years, so to be back is quite nice," Burke said.

"Four years ago is a long time ago and if you bear grudges for that long you'd go a grey man, it's done and dusted."

A prolific goal kicker, Burke benefited from tuition from English kicking guru Dave Alred and also got to watch English sharp shooter Jonny Wilkinson at close quarters during their time together at Newcastle.

Burke, whose Waratah caps total of 115 is second only to his successor as skipper Chris Whitaker, said he had no immediate aspirations to be a head coach.

New NSW coach Chris Hickey revealed Burke's influence would not be limited to just kicking and that he would also work extensively with the wingers and full-backs.

"The kicking is important, but that aspect of it (working with the wingers and full-backs) excites me because I think Matt's experience as a player in those positions is just invaluable," Hickey said

"We want to try and maximize the potential of our players, particularly our wingers and fullbacks, both in attack and defence and I think there's a lot that Matt will bring to the table in that area."

First-choice goalkicker Kurtley Beale, who experienced a mixed season with the boot this year, was looking forward to learning from Burke.

"Goalkicking-wise it wasn't really good this year for myself, pretty difficult, but when he (Burke) is on board it kind of gives you a little bit of confidence," Beale said.

Beale, who like Burke attended the famous rugby nursery, St Joseph's College in Sydney, was hoping to fight his way back into Test contention later in the year, after having a cast removed from his broken right hand.

"I think the Waratahs are going on a tour of Fiji later this year so hopefully I can maybe get on that and then put my hand up for a spot on the (Wallabies) spring tour at the end of the year," Beale said.

Hickey said the proposed tour could go ahead in October but still had to be confirmed.

Burke's appointment, which followed the recruitment earlier this week of Wallabies assistant coach Michael Foley, completed the Waratahs coaching staff for next year.

Hickey said he still had three spots to fill on his playing roster.

AAP

Great move, I expect SNK to do great things with a bit of extra help from Bourke and Beale as well

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
A few questions:
1. How can you teach someone to kick without a knee?

2. Is NSWRU going broke? Why the big scale back on Coaches and Experience? Hickey would have to be on less than link, considering he's a club coach wanting to move up. For the record I don't call 5 premierships in 14 years "Prolific club premiership-winning" either.

Head Coach: Ewen McKenzie -> Chris Hickey
Forwards Coach: Steve Tuynman -> Michael Foley
Kicking Coach: ??? -> Matt Burke
Attack Coach: Todd Louden -> ???
Defence Coach: Les Kiss -> ???

I read that Burke will also help the wing and the full back with their games, would "Kicking Coach" be another word for "Backs Coach in Training" ?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
How many coaches do you need really ? Burke will mentor the outside backs. Their hair will be perfectly coiffed. Its a decent move and gives them a young bloke who can relate to the players.

Axel will rip into our forward pack and freshen things up a bit.

Hickey said he still had three spots to fill on his playing roster.

I'm curious where this leaves John McKee. http://www.manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/08/19/11620_sports.html

But a move back overseas is also an option for the man who led the Central Coast Rays to the one and only Australian Rugby Championship title last year.

"It will be interesting to see what happens in the Australian environment over the next 12 months," he said after confirming his commitments to the Rats in 2009.

"I still believe I've got a lot to offer Australian rugby.

"It's very frustrating I have been overlooked for any position within the Waratahs set up.

"In the short-term I'm committed to Warringah rugby.

"But in the medium-term, this time next year I might have to look at my options and it may well be to head back overseas."

Status
Not open for further replies.