• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
exacery.

Why do you think he's been hand picked to start at openside for the Barbarians tomorrow v the Reds? Crofty's last game? QLD Reds coach Phil Mooney watching. Peter Lewis chosen QLDer Alan Jones coaching the baabaas. Jones selects the team. Robinson starts.

Expect them to be working out the contract as we speak.

He'd look great in a cardinal red jersey.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scott Wisemantel joins HSBC Waratahs

? Back to News Listing

Tuesday, 15 July 2008
NSWRU Media Unit
Former Wallaby Skills Coach Scott Wisemantel has signed on to join the HSBC Waratahs as an Assistant Coach for the next two years.
Scott Wisemantel.

Scott Wisemantel.

Scott Wisemantel.

Wisemantel has almost ten years professional coaching experience including the last four seasons with the Wallabies.

His new appointment with the Waratahs sees him return to the scene of his first major coaching appointment in Australia, a two-year term as Skills Coach starting in 2001.

Most recently Wisemantel has taken his knowledge in a consultancy role throughout Africa, Asia and the South Pacific before signing on with the Waratahs for 2009 and 2010.

"To be involved in the Wallaby program for an extended period of time you have to be an excellent coach so we're extremely privileged to have Scott joining the team," said HSBC Waratahs Head Coach, Chris Hickey. "On top of his time with the Wallabies he's got a wealth of experience coaching abroad so he'll have a lot to bring to team.

"The Waratahs overall skills lifted noticeably during the 2008 Super 14 campaign and with Scott's appointment I'm confident that improvement will continue."

Wisemantel's appointment is the first step in finalising the Waratahs new coaching structure under Hickey.

"The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together so hopefully it won't be too long before we can tie down our coaching and playing staff for 2009 and get be on the path to a successful campaign next year," said Hickey.

Scott Wisemantel - Profile
Playing Career
1988-92 Parramatta Eels (rugby league)
1992-99 Eastwood

Coaching Career
1999-00 Toyoda (Japan) - Assistant Coach
2001-02 NSW Waratahs - Skills Coach
2002-03 Montferrand (France) - Assistant Coach
2004-05 Australian U19s - Coach
2004-07 Australian Wallabies - Skills Coach

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, I saw this. I am told the Wisemantels are very nice people. What worries me is the last part of his CV though. Not a good period for Oz rugby and a period during which our skills are rumoured to have slipped. Not necessarily his fault but not a good look either. Anyway, good luck to him and I hope he does well. Hickey is surrounding himself with Woodies but I am sure knows what he is doing.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
:nta: I'm scratching my head over exactly what he has done with the Wallabies in the past 4 years as skills coach. The backs can't pass, often drop the ball with minimal contact whilst often times if a forward catches the ball to begin with it is mission accomplished. Even though they are the poster boys for the "Spin It Wide" brigade I would have loved to have seen either Gary or Glen Ella appointed as skills coach, if not get a touch footy coach to look after the backs (could do wonders for their handling and ability to put a player into space).

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree. Touch footy is not rugby, they are completely different games imo. However, what they dont know about ball skills and finding space and exploiting it isnt worth knowing. Damn they can play.

E

Emu

A question for those4 who might have a hand or foot in the door at the Tahs.

When he's fit, how far off a S14 start is Dave Dennis likely to be this season?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
really? Is that just being thrown around King's grounds or a genuine chance??

Also asked this on the club thread but probably better here. Are the Tahs going on any sort of Development Tour this year. Would have been a perfect opportunity to blood players like Ratu, Fit\y and test a few 2nd rowers against each other.

T

TOCC

It would probably be a good move by Robinson to move to the Reds, he has done his apprenticeship under Waugh for a couple of years now, since i doubt Waugh will move on before the 2011 RWC it would probably be Beau's best chance to get in the Wallabies.

So who is going to be the starting locks and blindside flanker for NSW next year?

Mumms a good player so i expect to see him around for a while, but would he be blindside or a lock?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
the gambler said:
really? Is that just being thrown around King's grounds or a genuine chance??

Also asked this on the club thread but probably better here. Are the Tahs going on any sort of Development Tour this year. Would have been a perfect opportunity to blood players like Ratu, Fit\y and test a few 2nd rowers against each other.

I heard it from a teacher at King's who used to play Eastwood 1st grade under Hickey(Not Marty Wilson). It's a possibility as he wasn't just saying it as if he made it up someone brought his name up and he let it slip.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Was discussing the possible line ups of the various teams in 09 with a colleague the other day and we both came to the conclusion that the Tahs backline will be pretty hard to match with:

9. Burgess 10. Beale. 11. Tuqiri. 12 Horne. 13. Tahu. 14. Turner. 15. Norton-Knight.

I haven't got Tahu and Horne around the wrong way. Personally I think that those are their best positions.

What will be interesting is the forward line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.