• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Putting his stamp on the Tahs
By Jon Geddes
July 04, 2008 NEW South Wales coach Chris Hickey will spend a lot of his weekends over the next few months on a treasure hunt around Sydney.

He will fossick around suburban rugby grounds looking to unearth some gems in the club ranks to fill vacancies in the Waratahs' Super 14 squad for next season.

"At this stage of the game there are definitely three spots available -- two forwards and a back," Hickey said.

Interviewed in his first week in the job, Hickey spoke about the demands of taking on one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport and how he intends to put his own stamp on the Waratahs, with change being inevitable.

Playing roster

The major challenge is replacing Wallabies duo Dan Vickerman and Rocky Elsom - two of the top forwards in international rugby - who are heading to Europe.

"When someone like Dan or Rocky goes it leaves a big hole to fill but it provides opportunities for other people," Hickey said.

There is also a spot open for an inside back in 2009.

It may appear a daunting task, with most of the local talent seemingly already under contract. But Hickey is confident there is still gold waiting to be discovered.

"I think there are a number of good players around, particularly in those younger ranks," Hickey said.

"At this point in time what I want to do is watch some of them play. It is really important that you don't just pick players on their resume, you actually want to see the performances."

Rising back-rower Ben Coridas, who is already in the Waratahs program and played in the Australian under-20s World Cup team, has shown a lot of potential and could step up in 2009.

If Uni's Dave Dennis can fight his way back from a shocking run with injuries he could fill the breach, while Manly's warhorse back-rower Will Brame has been outstanding for the Marlins.

Don't forget Uni back-rower Ben McCalman and Parramatta forward Steve Mafi, who have shown they are worthy of consideration.

West Harbour utility back Ben Martin has also been impressive and is a good goalkicker to boot.

And jot down the name of back Tim Bennetts. He played schoolboy football with young Waratahs centre Robert Horne and is highly rated by keen judges.

Timana Tahu

One of the most exciting aspects of Hickey's new role will be the chance to work with NRL recruit Timana Tahu, who has started to demonstrate what a dynamic player he will be for the Waratahs in 2009.

"He is obviously a quality footballer and changing from league to union, that first 12 months was always going to be a steep learning curve," Hickey said.

"He has shown by his performances, particularly for Australia A, that he has handled that really well and hopefully it will give him the chance next year to put his full ability on the park."

Hickey was open-minded about where Tahu will play.

"One of the things I look for from a coaching point of view is that versatility. Just because you wear 12 doesn't mean you have to be in a particular position," he said.

Coaching philosophy

Hickey is ready to put his own stamp on the Waratahs.

He said looking at the team and their results this year, 90 per cent of their game was really sound and very strong.

"I think the trick with coaching is to retain the stuff that is really strong but to try and develop the game a little - and attack is probably the area we can look at ways of developing the game," he said.

Hickey said the experimental law variations were put in place to encourage more attacking football.

"You can't afford to do what you did last year because the game is in a state of evolution," he said.

"And if you can't stay a step ahead of the evolution you fall behind pretty quickly. And evolution means change, so there will have to be change."

The coaching team

In a major development former Wallabies assistant coach Scott Wisemantel held talks with NSW CEO Jim L'Estrange, in what L'Estrange described as a "very positive" meeting. Further discussions will take place on Friday.

Wallaby legend Matt Burke could also be involved as kicking coach, which would be a coup.

Hickey will have a new-look coaching team, with attack coach Todd Louden going to Japan and highly rated defensive guru Les Kiss moving to the Irish national side.

"Les has obviously made a significant contribution here at the Waratahs and we would have been very happy for him to continue, but we are in a global game now and just as players have opportunities overseas so do the coaching staff," Hickey said.

Hickey said assembling the coaching team was not as easy as it seemed.

"You've got to make sure you haven't got everyone who thinks the same. You've got to make sure you have diversity in thinking," he said. And that makes a strong coaching team.

"Within that you've also got to have people who can work together and be prepared at times to compromise."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23964424-23217,00.html

Interesting that Timmy Bennetts get's a mention.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
the gambler said:
I only said it was as bad as mine. I dont actually have a problem with it, but watch out for Lindo, he is the grammar nazi.

So you've awarded me a degree, TG. Thank you. Now is that Lindommer gn or Lindommer GN?

W

whocares

AussieDominance said:

Well Bennetts didn't get selected for any of the NSW schools teams, despite being an Oz school boy last year. Anyone know if he's injured.
But he was part of that dominant Eastwood side that went through so he would probably already have connections to Hickey.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
whocares said:
AussieDominance said:

Well Bennetts didn't get selected for any of the NSW schools teams, despite being an Oz school boy last year. Anyone know if he's injured.
But he was part of that dominant Eastwood side that went through so he would probably already have connections to Hickey.

Yeah he broke his finger mate. Been playing 1st Colts for Eastwood.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Right and right.

It will be interesting whether or not Bennetts will be picked in the Oz Schools team despite not playing in the national championships starting next Tuesday.

From a Tahs point of view its more likely that he will get a pro JW contract rather than a rookie contract.

I see that Ben Martin has been mentioned. He's a 25 y.o. warhorse who could be handy if there are a few injuries. The penalty magnet Coridas seems to be ready though he doesn't bring much more to the Tahs than Beau Roibinson, the current reserve fetcher does.

But these are marginal issues. The most important issues for the Tahs next year are:

- who will be the 3 second rowers to be used during the season?
- who will be the goal kicker? (The same question as I asked almost 12 months ago when Hewat was released.)

W

whocares

My guess:

4 Caldwell
5 Campbell
6 Mumm

with Robinson and Dennis on the bench as 18 and 19

in terms of a kicker Halangahu was doing pretty good job at it for Aus A

O

oxe7

or mumm in 2nd row and beau robinson inas a second openside flanker at 6.

very handy with ELVs

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
whocares said:

I should have asked the question: who of the Tahs players starting on a regular basis in 2009 will be the goal kicker. Hangers came back in Rd 7, off the bench, in this year's S14 but wasn't picked after that though he was playing in club rugby when that started up.

W

whocares

Lee Grant said:
whocares said:

I should have asked the question: who of the Tahs players starting on a regular basis in 2009 will be the goal kicker. Hangers came back in Rd 7, off the bench, in this year's S14 but wasn't picked after that though he was playing in club rugby when that started up.

Maybe he'll get picked at 15 over SNK. Although from memory he didnt play too well at fullback on the occasion.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
The penalty magnet Coridas seems to be ready though he doesn't bring much more to the Tahs than Beau Roibinson, the current reserve fetcher does.

Initially I had reservations about Coridas, he seemed to be more of an openside than a blindside. Didn't realise he's 6'4" and 105 kgs already. His fitness and workrate are outstanding, he's a good spoiler. Hopefully he can round out the rest of his game.

I've long been a Ben Martin fan - he just seems to have so much time. Not sure he has the firepower anymore to be S14 material though. He probably missed his chance when he had injury problems with the Brumbies.

J

JB791

For 2010 I'd hope the warartahs would give some consideration to Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves, but then again there is a distinct possibility Rocky will be back by then.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
JB791 said:
For 2010 I'd hope the warartahs would give some consideration to Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves, but then again there is a distinct possibility Rocky will be back by then.

Didn't he bugger off to League because the NSWRU wouldn't throw a heap of cash at him?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Novocastrian said:
JB791 said:

Didn't he bugger off to League because the NSWRU wouldn't throw a heap of cash at him?

The 'next Sonny Bill' wasn't he ? :lmao:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
naza said:
Novocastrian said:
JB791 said:

The 'next Sonny Bill' wasn't he ? :lmao:

He was hopeless in the MARC

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
fatprop

You're a bit harsh. I saw a lot of JWH when he played for the Rays in the MARC and he was decent enough without looking like S14 material. You never know with a young bloke though - he could have improved a lot had he stayed with our sport. There were some good signs of hardness in the lad.

The selection or non-selection of Coridas for the Tahs will be an interesting matter. He really pissed me off in at the end of that U/20 game against the Poms when he got himself carded up their end of the park - then they came down to score a charge down try to win the match. He's a goer though and my only point against him would be that he is a similar player to Beau Robinson though he would be more likely to be hoisted up in a lineout.

J

JB791

Hay I'm just saying as I was watching the Manly Toyota cup team play and he looked half decent and i agree with his form in the ARC here i feel he just didn't get himself involved enough. My point is he is a half decent player.He would have been one of the youngest competing in the ARC aswell as he is 14 days younger than Kurtley Beale. Had he been given another couple of years in 1st grade he could have matured into quite a good player.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
JB791 said:
Hay I'm just saying as I was watching the Manly Toyota cup team play and he looked half decent and i agree with his form in the ARC here i feel he just didn't get himself involved enough. My point is he is a half decent player.He would have been one of the youngest competing in the ARC aswell as he is 14 days younger than Kurtley Beale. Had he been given another couple of years in 1st grade he could have matured into quite a good player.

... and that is the NSWRU's fault how? He chose (probably with the advice of his manager who had nothing personal to gain from getting the kid an immediate paying gig) to follow a career in league. Don't be too surprised to see him back at the end of next year playing rugby if he does not make it into the NRL side.

W

whocares

Aussie D said:
JB791 said:

... and that is the NSWRU's fault how? He chose (probably with the advice of his manager who had nothing personal to gain from getting the kid an immediate paying gig) to follow a career in league. Don't be too surprised to see him back at the end of next year playing rugby if he does not make it into the NRL side.

One of the reasons for not coming to the Tahs was because they would put him into the academy for two years and wouldnt go straight into a 1st grade team. Well so far he hasnt played in a 1st grade team and with Rocky gone next year there would've been a pretty good chance that he'd get bumped up to fill a spot in the 30 man squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.