• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
The Brumbies will pay you to take Campbell off their hands :praying:

The Vickerman hole is the biggest. "We first looked at the Australian prospects. We just weren't satisfied we had found someone who could at least go some of the way to filling Vickerman's shoes," Hickey said.

Campbell seems to not be an option

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
Think Campbell would fit in nicely at the Force :fishing

Poor old Hickey is on a hiding-to-nothing not having his Wallaby reps until 2 weeks before the comp starts. Hope he doesn't try rushing them out in the first round underdone. Think it will make it harder for him to change the way the team plays the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My Tahs to shine in 09. Well. Not really.

15 Sam Norton-Knight
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Timana Tahu
12 Rob Horne
11 Lote Tuqiri
10 Kurtley Beale
9 Luke Burgess
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 Phil Waugh (c)
6 Dean Mumm
5 Will Caldwell (??)
4 Poached lock
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau
1 Benn Robinson

16 Adam Freier
17 Al Baxter
18 Scott Fava
19 Beau Robinson
20 Brett Sheehan
21 Daniel Halangahu
22 Ratu Nasiganiyavi

- fantastic looking backline with the only questions, I guess, being the rookies in 12 and 13 and whether they are in their best position and whether that can cope with this level of rugby week in week out.
- awesome backrow
- time for change in the front row, but will Hickey cast away an Eastwood boy in Dunning?
- not particularly loving the balance of the bench. Two backrowers? Hmmmm. Dan H and Ratu? Hmmmm. We will see.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Tahs problems will be, as others have indicated:

- the maturing of the midfield players as individuals and a pair. Who will be better in what spot? I have great confidence in Horne to play in either jersey as I have seen him play 12 before, but I want to see Tahu do a bit more than just beating his man or stopping an opponent cold when he runs straight at him. Individual contests like this are the bread and butter of the 13 man game but not of the 15 man puzzle. Things like passing the ball in front of receivers and using other people better are boxes I would like to see ticked by T by the end of the season.

- the second row/6 conundrum. The disappearance of Kanaar and Vickerman from the second row and the probable need for Mumm to fill in, coupled with the disappearance of Elsom, will have the effect that we Tahs fans have feared since the 2009 personnel changes were signalled. Caldwell, of a sudden, becomes one of the most valuable players in the team and injury to him can't be thought about.

- the belated return of the Wallabies. Fortunately the Tahs have two sets of Wallaby front rowers now and their integration into the Tahs should be be smooth, on paper. I expect them to be rotated and have cynical 'injuries' during a game so that the 3 props gets about 50-60 minutes each. If the coaching regime was the same as last year I wouldn't say it's going to be a problem but 2 weeks is a small amount of time to get the content of Hickey and his helpers down pat.

Kepu is a LHP only. He was chosen once to play THP in a trial match last year but he played on the LH side.

I expect warhorse Fava to be used a bit this year if Mumm has to play lock.

Dunno about Big Rat on the bench. At the end of the club season he looked like he needed a lot of work but there was talk that he was playing injured. He's never been the same since he came back hurt from that celebration match in Tonga.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee, Kepu played THP for Aussie A v Tonga and looked good in my eyes. Obviously twas 'only Tonga'.

I suspect he will play more TH on the Wallaby tour than loosehead.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Geez I saw all the Oz A games and couldn't remember that - it happens to we old folk.

I hope that he can get the odd spell, not necessarily a whole game, on the TH side for the Tahs in the S14 to build up his CV.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
I expect warhorse Fava to be used a bit this year if Mumm has to play lock.

If Tim Donnelly is dragged back from France the Eastwood domination will be complete.

T

TOCC

i wonder if there is any chance of getting Rudi Vedelago out of premature retirement or bring back that former QLD lock playing in Japan, his name has left me at the moment.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
TOCC said:
i wonder if there is any chance of getting Rudi Vedelago out of premature retirement or bring back that former QLD lock playing in Japan, his name has left me at the moment.

Surely you don't refer to Daniel Heenan???? He makes Medicare Matt seem bulletproof.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Well pointed out by Lee about Mumm, the second row problem and the two similar back rowers on the bench. I too expect to see Fava at 6 a bit and Mumm at lock. Will this be the making of a new Aussie lock, a new Wallaby 6, or the dicking around of the two as highlighted on another thread. I'm not convinced he's got the bulk for a top whack lock (he's 9kegs lighter and 4 cms shorter than Horwill), but then Eales was no brute.....

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Lee, Kepu played THP for Aussie A v Tonga and looked good in my eyes. Obviously twas 'only Tonga'.

That day Lee was too busy parading his new purchase from Vinnie's, a splendid woollen overcoat, to notice what was happening on the paddock. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmmm comparing Mumm to Eales hey? Ooooh, can't wait for the Tom Carter/Timmy Horan comparison.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
When is the Plank free to walk (geddit)? One or two more seasons with the Tahs would be tops.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If Googie was available after this year in Europe ie May 2009 he would be 35 years old, and would turn 36 during the 2010 S14.

Tight 5 forwards that age can't come back to play in a hard competition like the S14.

No don't mention players who have - I'm sick of being wrong.

PS Yeah I goddit.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fullbacks: Sam Norton-Knight, Ben Batger.
Wings: Lote Tuqiri, Lachlan Turner, Ratu Nasiganiyavi, Matt Carraro.
Centres: Timana Tahu, Rob Horne, Tom Carter.
Flyhalves: Kurtley Beale, Daniel Halangahu.
Scrumhalves: Luke Burgess, Brett Sheehan.
Backrow: Wycliffe Palu, Scott Fava, Beau Robinson, Phil Waugh.
Locks: Dean Mumm, Will Caldwell
Props: Sekope Kepu, Dan Palmer, Benn Robinson, Matt Dunning, Al Baxter
Hookers: Adam Freier, Tatafu Polata-Nau

So that?s 26. Surely I am missing people there. Looks light in the backs.

Ben Mowen anyone?

F

formeropenside

break it down by gains and losses maybe?

I might try that for the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think there losses are:

Rocky Elsom, Sam Harris, Al Kanaar, David Lyons, Alfi Mafi, Jeremy Tilse, Josh Valentine & Dan Vickerman.

Gains:

Scott Fava (for Elsom), Rob Horne (for Harris), Ratu Nasiganiyavi (for Mafi), Dan Palmer for Tilse).

Status
Not open for further replies.