• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Shaun Foley the ex Australian Schoolboy and Sydney Roosters player might have been snapped up by the Tahs is 22 y.o now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AussieDominance said:
I think Shaun Foley the ex Australian Schoolboy and Sydney Roosters player might have been snapped up by the Tahs is 22 y.o now.

He has been running around at the Newtown Jets for a while, I hope he is cheap

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see that Kotoni Ale, a star schoolboy backrower this year, who I mentioned on the Brumbies thread because they were interested in him, is going to stay in Sydney and sign up with the Tahs.

No mention is given about what type of contract he is on but I suspect it is a professional Junior Waratahs contract. I don't think they'd get away with signing him up as an amateur because other S14 outfits were after him, and I doub't if he got a rookie contract with Ben Coridas still in the JWs for next year.

The contract is for only 1 year.

He starts Tahs' training on Monday and so does his St. Augustine's schoolmate, Salesi Manu, the Oz Schools LHP. Salesi was in the amateur JWs this year whilst still at school, so is probably in the professional group for next year.

But the really important news is than Kotoni will be playing his club rugby for the Mighty Rats.

R

rugbywhisperer

That's a big turnaround Lee. Last word on the circuit was he was taking a league cotract and I think with the Storm.
Well done to whoever did their work, he is very worthwhile keeping and well done to the Rats.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah I heard that and also heard that he was going back to NZ - but who would knock back the chance of being both a Tah AND a Rat?

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
Yeah I heard that and also heard that he was going back to NZ - but who would knock back the chance of being both a Tah AND a Rat?
You see, you went and spoilt it all.
Even a gay Gordon I could handle before a rat.
Oh who am I kidding, no I wouldn't.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ah no.
Epping BHS during the glory days of three consecutive Waratah Shields and a No 4 at that time although it was a No11 back then. I think we played Cranbrook back in 1969 in a trial match though.
Firmly ensconced on the Gold Coast now.

T

TOCC

1 tubby tubby
2 tubby tubby
3 tubby tubby.....
0,,6363116,00.jpg

T

TOCC

he came back from the offseason weighing 101kg, his plan is to get back down to 95kg...

what a wreck, just because you are talented doesnt mean you can be a fat lazy bastard, by 2010 he could be big enough to start playing prop.

T

TOCC

yeah its about beale being tubby...

the only thing Beale was training for in the offseason was the annual 'donut eating competition'.. Dunning has held the crown since he was 15

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He looks a fine figure of a man to me!

Seriously though, Does it really matter what he weighs if he does the job for you?

T

TOCC

Sully said:
He looks a fine figure of a man to me!

Seriously though, Does it really matter what he weighs if he does the job for you?
if he is up to the task then it doesnt matter what he looks like, but beale does look quite overweight in that photo, especially for a 5/8.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't see the pic. Assume its like looking at Morgan Turinui's younger, Aboriginal half-brother?

R

rugbywhisperer

It's sad but really he isn't carrying himself like a Waratah and prospective Wallably.
Certainly not walking the walk is he and at the end of the day, those that make it usually do it all the time. They make it their life.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Kurtley Beale overweight, responds to blast from Waratahs coaching staff

November 23, 2008

NEW South Wales Waratahs whiz kid Kurtley Beale has opened up about almost going off the rails during the Super 14 off-season.

Injured, frustrated and lost, Beale's weight ballooned to 101kg as he fell into bad habits.

Restricted to pedalling on an indoor bike after tearing ankle ligaments in the Super 14 final, the 19-year-old went off course with a combination of minimal training and poor diet.

Waratahs assistant coach Scott Wisemantel gave Beale a rocket, and the NSW five-eighth responded by swearing off alcohol and junk food.

"I didn't touch a ball there for about three months so it was pretty hard to come to training," Beale said.

"All I could do was sit there on the rehab bike day after day and just pedal. There's plenty of people who've done it tougher, but I just got really down.

"Then I broke my thumb doing weights at training and I really started to lose it.

"I went off track a bit. I had to try and seek some advice to get myself back into the right routine and headed in the right direction.

"For two or three months there I wasn't really focused or professional about the way I was approaching things. I was a bit lost and, to be honest, it was pretty daunting. But looking back it was a good experience.

"I've got to get back into condition. I've been eating the wrong food and I'm sure having a few beers didn't really help."

The Waratahs five-eighth is under pressure to retain his starting position from Daniel Halangahu, who hurt his ankle in the first Super 14 trial match of the year and missed the majority of the season before returning for Sydney University in club rugby.

Halangahu quickly returned to form, winning a third successive man of the match award in the Students' grand final victory.

Faced with the prospect of losing his jumper, Beale has responded.

After Wisemantel blasted Beale for being overweight, the Waratahs pivot gave him a black eye during a training drill.

NSW coach Chris Hickey praised Beale's application since returning to pre-season training. "It's been a bit of a tough six months for KB (Kurtley Beale). He injured his ankle in the Super 14 final and then just as it started to come good he broke his thumb," Hickey said.

"As a player, those things can be hard to deal with. Since we've been back into the pre-season program he's been working really hard."

Beale has managed to shed 2kg since returning to training and plans to trim down further to be at 95kg for the start of the season.

"I'm pumped now," he said.

"I'm back into my routine and my rhythm.

"I've set small goals for myself and I'm determined to put in."

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
After Wisemantel blasted Beale for being overweight, the Waratahs pivot gave him a black eye during a training drill.

I hope the black eye was just vigorous training rather than a punch. We dont need a fat, undisciplined, short tempered 10.

T

TOCC

Cutter, there was a article on the black eye incident a week or two ago, Wisemantle went head to head with Beale in some training exercise and he came out with a black eye.

I dont believe it was from a fight or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.