• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Sounds like an accidental head butt. Beale doesn't strike me as the type of bloke to strike a coach or team mate. Lee would be able to tell you though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what was he playing at this year? He was up to 101 when injured and is down to 99? Apparently wants to get to 95.

If he can maintain his skills, and pace, then thats a decent size to play and may give him the confidence to be a bit more physical.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He always is going to look more like Lloyd Walker and Kafer than Larkham.

Tough for a young guy who couldn't train, has lots of money and plenty of spare time to keep disciplined.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well it's a pity that happened but at least he's honest about it.

I'm disappointed in him but I am also disappointed in the Tahs for not tracking him properly. I know the arguments to that about being a professional player and yarda yarda, but I thought that's what they would do with inactive players as a matter of course, especially with teenagers and especially one with Kurtley's background, which is hardly mainstream.

Yeah, other youngsters have done better than him in sport handling themselves in such situations including aborigine youngsters, but I thought he would be someone they would keep a better eye on.

He had better turn his diet around because his mum is a large lady and he obviously has her genes.

I reckon Halangahu should start in the Super14 if his trial form is good. I've been saying that he should be starting in a few Super games this year because he has been one of the best players in Sydney club rugby recently. So maybe it should be from the start with Kurtley earning back the respect he has lost, from the bench.

Halangahu hasn't shown us a lot in the S14 but maybe that will change in 2009.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chris Thomson confirmed for the Tahs? Did we have that? I didn't.
At 205cm, Chris Thomson is the tallest player in Australian professional Rugby and joins the Waratahs Super 14 squad for the first time in 2009.

Thomson?s 2008 season with Northern Suburbs was punctuated by injury, however he returned in style on the Junior Waratahs Development Tour of Fiji and is looking forward to the step up to senior representative football.

Born on 10 July 1985, Thomson is the son of Wallaby manager Phil, and was brought up in Canberra when his father was in charge of the Brumbies. A product of Marist College Canberra, Thomson spent 2004 in England after finishing school before heading back to Australia to further his Rugby career. With the departure of international second rowers Dan Vickerman and Al Kanaar, Thomson has the opportunity to stamp his claims for selection in 2009.

Tilse too, I guess:

The 2009 season will mark Jeremy Tilse?s fourth season with the Waratahs since making his state debut on the 2006 Development Tour to the UK and Ireland.

A multiple-premiership winner with the Sydney University club, Tilse made his Super 14 debut against the Cheetahs in Kimberley in 2007 is continuing to develop his positional skills with the Waratahs amongst three Wallaby prop teammates.

Tilse was born in Newcastle on 2 June 1986, and was raised in the nearby town of Maitland. Completing his schooling at St. Joseph?s College, Hunters Hill, Tilse represented at Australian Schoolboys and U19 level and claimed a place in the Waratah Academy. His efforts saw him rewarded with a berth on the 2006 Waratahs Development Tour, where he played his first three state games, and earned a place in the Waratahs Super 14 squad.

and David Dennis:

David Dennis made his Super 14 debut for the Waratahs in 2007, however knee injuries have played a major role in the talented flanker?s career, with back-to-back knee injuries keeping him off the paddock for the entire 2008 season.

After suffering a knee injury late in 2007, Dennis was sidelined for the remainder of the year, however in his first session back at training early in 2008 he injured the other knee, with further surgery cruelly ending his season.

Born on 10 January 1986, Dennis was educated at Richmond High School from where he played three Tests for the Australian Schoolboys. A rugged blindside flanker who can also play lock, Dennis was a member of Sydney University?s 2007 premiership-winning side and went on to help coach the club?s Colts to the title in 2008.

and young Jeremy Su'a isn't listed in the Tahs squad, whilst the above players are.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Geez - at least we Tahs fans know where the bottom of the barrel is now because everything above it has been cleaned out.

Thomson I understand - they were looking for someone decent overseas and obviously couldn't find one. He has been in the Tahs professional Academy this year. Had Byrnes stayed in Sydney I think he would have got this rookie gig. We Tahs fans will hope that Mumm and Caldwell stay healthy as I don't think much of this bloke.

The two teenagers in the professional Academy, or JWs, Kane Douglas and Siviteni Mafi, have a lot of promise but are far away physically from playing S14 rugby, especially Mafi, but I have hopes for them 2-3 years down the track as they have a bit of quality. Maybe Tompson is hired as a stopgap.

I saw that Tilse was chosen to tour with the Tahs to Fiji and I thought it was inexplicable as he was Links worst contracting blunder IMO. How can we expect a player who can't make his club's 1st grade side to perform in the S14? And why another LHP?

Dave Dennis may be a very good player except every time I've watched him play. OK he's a bit of a second-class Dean Mum and can run with a ball in club rugby. He would be a goodish club 6 if he was bigger and taller but he isn't. I don't know why this guy gets a full contract (he was a rookie this year) when Coridas can't get a gig except in the JWs, - and he is always hurt.

He must be a hell of a trainer.

Sua must be in the professional JWs. As 3rd string scrummie he would have to be a pro.

Noddy - you're not winding us up are you?

Noddy?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good to see one of Australia's most weird choices for a contract, SuperProp(tm) Tilse, will be kicking around next year again (if Noddy wasn't playing around). If ever there was a waste of a spot, this guy takes the cake. Also good to see that the Tahs ignored the starting props in his club team (letting them go to the Reds and Brumbies) to instead choose a player who deservedly plays 2nds.

Good to see guys who get shown up at club level get the gig. Showing you shouldn't discriminate for skill, which is good in this politically correct day and age. Never hire the best for the job, better make it random. I'm putting up my hand for a spot in 2010.

Dennis? Guess the loss of Lyons and Elsom but the acquisition of Fava left a hole for a perma-injured seat warmer who isn't even the best 8 / 6 in his club...the best getting overlooked by the Tahs, of course. I guess Davidon's age works against him, though. If Fava, Palu, Mowen, Coridas and Robinson all get injured, then Dennis may get a shot. Good pick up.

Who is Wykes playing for? Didn't he (or a player like him) leave the Force and come back east to either the Tahs or the Brumbies?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash said:
Noddy said:
nah mate,

just going off the Tahs Player Profile page

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/HSBCWaratahs/PlayerProfiles/NSWPlayerProfiles.aspx

It seems updated as it has Scotty Fava.

Still, only 30 players. 3 more to add.

There's hope yet - it still has Ben Batger. My understanding was that Batger lost his contract. Or was that my hoping?

After a stint at the Brumbies and in New Zealand, Ben Batger returned to New South Wales in 2008 to take up a two-year deal with the HSBC Waratahs.

The Eastwood back was first selected to represent his home state on the 2004 Development Tour of Argentina, however after signing a Super 12 contract with the Brumbies, Batger?s tour did not eventuate. The talented outside back played nine matches with the Brumbies in 2005-06,

Batger continued his career in 2007 with Napier Technical in New Zealand, before impressing for Hawke?s Bay in the Air New Zealand Cup.

Batger was born in Sydney on 20 March 1984 and was educated at The King?s School alongside Waratahs teammates Dean Mumm, Benn Robinson, and Daniel Halangahu. He joined with them in representing Australia at the 2005 U21 World Cup in Argentina.
Last Updated: Nov 18

I would think he is still there.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Did you read it Nick? 2009 will be the second year of a 2 year contract. No blame for Hickey on that one.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No I meant he's more likely to get a gig this year being an Eastwood boy :) Did he play even one minute for the Tahs in the S14? :nta:

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Think you will find he is out injured for the season. Had a shoulder recon and is expected to be out for 9 months. Was going to be involved with the sevens but is going to miss that as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Having written above that I didn't think much of Tompson, now I find out that he's playing for the Rats next season.

Geez he's a star - what a player.

But seriously folks he will be a good replacement for Cameron Treloar at Rat Park at club level. I think. He wasn't noticed in schools rugby; so I hope that he's one of those guys who are late bloomers.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Well, Chris Thomson has one thing you've been calling for in Oz second rowers: height. At 204cm (6'8.5" inches in the old scale) he's not what you'd term a halfling.

Those drpRats. When are they going to stop? :fishing :fishing :fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.