• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was under the impression all Oz Super Rugby contracts ran up to 31 December so's to allow players to be available for selection for EoYTs. In this instance didn't Cheika release Holmes, and Dennis, from their contracts early?

The contracts do run up to 31 December.

The departing players signed contracts with European clubs saying they were available after Super Rugby finished.

The ARU could have either enforced those contracts or released them and then tried to bring them back under Reg 9 but it puts the players in a difficult position with their new club either way.

On that basis the ARU has let them leave.

There was an article on rugby.com.au about it from memory.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I was under the impression all Oz Super Rugby contracts ran up to 31 December so's to allow players to be available for selection for EoYTs. In this instance didn't Cheika release Holmes, and Dennis, from their contracts early?

I think this was a case. But I don't think it reflects Cheika not wanting them. I think it reflects Euro clubs putting pressure on players to go overseas and Cheika and the players reluctantly accepting to avoid any tension with new clubs.

Gits on the other hand: "F$*K it I'm playing for the wallabies".

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Strange though he hasn't released Gill - wants him to stay as injury cover despite clearly favouring Hooper, McMahon and Pocock.
So he's playing out his year in the NRC.
I would think our injury cover at THP is worse.
I'd be a bit jaded if I was in his shoes.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Strange though he hasn't released Gill - wants him to stay as injury cover despite clearly favouring Hooper, McMahon and Pocock.
So he's playing out his year in the NRC.
I would think our injury cover at THP is worse.
I'd be a bit jaded if I was in his shoes.

Gill's been pretty jaded for 3 years I reckon! Back on topic I'm pretty sure he's been released?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
^^ From Payto and Panda -

GILL’S HIP POCKET TAKES A HIT

LIAM Gill remains in Australia and it appears he will not be allowed to join French club Toulon until the end of the final Bledisloe Test in October, costing him big money.

While Dave Dennis and Greg Holmes have been allowed to join their foreign club Exeter Chiefs, Wallabies coach Michael Cheika wants Gill in Australia in case of injuries to his backrowers during the Rugby Championships.

Liam Gill’s French vacant has been delayed.
Liam Gill’s French vacant has been delayed.Source:Getty Images
If Gill is not selected for any Tests he would be expected to play in the NRC, which runs from August 20 to October 31.

But Gill will have to forego the cash that Toulon is willing to pay him from August. Gill will continue to be paid by Queensland while in Australia and as per the rules, but cannot earn extra for playing NRC.

It is a tricky situation given the Wallabies have Michael Hooper, David Pocock and Sean McMahon who can all play openside flanker, but a raft of injuries could see Gill recalled.

Cheika and national skills coach Mick Byrne met with NRC coaches in Sydney this week to discuss what they want to see from players in this year’s tournament.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Wow. That's rough.

Telling me, especially when Toulon have this as a pre-season team building exercise;

rgdvq9m.jpg
https://igcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xap1/t51.2885-15/e35/13827238_316255242050243_343958629_n.jpg

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
part of me agrees that it is a little tough on Gilly, but the other part of me is drowning that other part with chants of:

GLORY GLORY BRISBANE CITY!

THE BRISBANE CITY HYPE TRAIN IS LEAVING THE STATION AND IT WILL NOT BE STOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Frankly I care more about the Wallabies than I do about Liam Gill, as much as I sympathise with his situation.

Cheika wants to win every match, and having solid back-up options in every position is paramount over a long RC campaign.

There is only a 5% chance Gill will be required, but I'd be ropable if we lost Hooper and Pocock and didn't have Gilly on hand to step into the breach.

I wish they'd done the same for Greg Holmes.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
That's the bit I don't understand.

Why keep Gill here if you're not going to keep Holmes who would have been in the best 23?
Yep - that was my original point
THP depth is worse than open side depth
It is rough on Gill and smells of something behind the scenes.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Frankly I care more about the Wallabies than I do about Liam Gill, as much as I sympathise with his situation.

Cheika wants to win every match, and having solid back-up options in every position is paramount over a long RC campaign.

There is only a 5% chance Gill will be required, but I'd be ropable if we lost Hooper and Pocock and didn't have Gilly on hand to step into the breach.

I wish they'd done the same for Greg Holmes.

I agree with you but the same rules should apply across the board.
I'd like to see both of them in the squad but I'm not going there again!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I wonder if it's that they have different Reg 9 outclauses in their contracts. Maybe Holmes is easier to get back if we have an injury than Gill?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I wonder if it's that they have different Reg 9 outclauses in their contracts. Maybe Holmes is easier to get back if we have an injury than Gill?

Who knows.
Maybe Mourad Boudjellal is just a bigger twat than the boss of Exeter.
Compromise is not his strength if you believe media reports.
Possession is 9/10 of the law after all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>
Huge debut for Robertson on the cards. I think too much too soon but hope he goes well.
He started the season on an EPS contract for the Waratahs.

A real Doghouse to the Penthouse story if he debuts for the Wallabies this year.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's all pretty bizarre re Gill. We're talking about a coach who's happy to go to a World Cup with only two 9s in the squad, and lets his best scrummaging tighthead go to be replaced by an uncapped rookie, but we're supposed to believe he's worried about losing his fourth-string 7, after leaving him out of the squad again?

Let the bloke go. He hasn't been at all rewarded for his form the last two years, he doesn't need the final insult of "need you to stay around in case my three favourite opensides all get injured... but you're not in the squad, you can play NRC instead."

Status
Not open for further replies.