• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
corrected Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, I sincerely hope Samu cuts the mustard as an excellent 12 for Queensland and Australia but he's not there yet.
Lindo, I respect your opinion even when you're wrong. He is a great 12.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't Cheika come out saying he see's Kerevi as a 13 not a 12?
I hope this is not the case as I think Kerevi is the 12 of the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I truly believe Kerevi will be our outstanding No 12 within a year, and it is just troubling that his future prospects might be hindered by a No 10 who needs a play maker at 12 to earn his spot.

Every option we have had at 10 for quite a number of years does better when we play with a second playmaker at 12.

There seems to be a feeling that this is a situation limited to Foley but the teams selected and how they've performed in recent years tells a different story.

The period where we played McCabe at 12 was the only one where we went without a playmaking 12 for a considerable period of time and it wasn't a good one as far as our backline play was concerned.

Until Kerevi becomes a far more dynamic ball player I can't see him being a consistent option for the Wallabies at 12 regardless of who the 10 is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
10. Quade Cooper
12. A Fainga'a

Case dismissed

Fainga'a started at 12 twice in his test career, we scored one try in each match and lost both (both were against the All Blacks).

Certainly during that time he played 13 a lot with McCabe at 12 but it was hardly a period of time when the Wallabies were looking good in attack.

Every 10 option we have does better with a playmaking 12 and largely that is how we've selected our team for a long time.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was suggesting the the Reds won a super rugby title with that combination and Cooper doesn't need a playmaker at 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was suggesting the the Reds won a super rugby title with that combination and Cooper doesn't need a playmaker at 12.

When you look at the periods of time where Cooper played his best for the Wallabies he had a playmaking 12 too.

This has become an argument about Foley needing a playmaking 12 whereas the reality is that every 10 option we have plays better when we have another good playmaker in the backline to increase the options.

realpigsdontkick

Frank Row (1)
Hi all,
Long time reader first time poster, thought this might be of interest.
Hope I'm reading too much into this, but does #gameweek suggest that big Will is a part of the 23?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 233

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
big thing about quade not needing a 2nd playmaker..is that all of HIS backline knew how he wanted to play. Perfect example is how digby was never good without quade putting him in epic gaps and quade looked lost without digby putting himself in a position to be put through an epic gaps.

dru

David Wilson (68)
When you look at the periods of time where Cooper played his best for the Wallabies he had a playmaking 12 too.

This has become an argument about Foley needing a playmaking 12 whereas the reality is that every 10 option we have plays better when we have another good playmaker in the backline to increase the options.

I agree with you BH. Quade looked best imo with To'omua outside. To'omua is not really a classic playmaking 10, but he did/does offer a playmaking option at 12. Better than Gitts imo. And less flakey than Beale, albeit Beale was becoming much more robust.

I think Foley really needs that playmaking 12, but Quade benefits too.

There is a lot said about Foley that doesnt consider the options. Longer term I hope Quade blasts Foley out of that 10 jersey, but when he does, it wont be because Foley needs a play making 12. Quade needs to provide much more than that to oust the current 10 jersey holder.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Except now we have Kerevi. Case dismissed. Again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Except now we have Kerevi. Case dismissed. Again.

You might want to wait until that backline plays together, and works, before resting your case. And I think Kerevi is more "playmaker" in what he offers than, say Kuridrani, or Fainga'a for example. He's pretty skilful. I'd expect Cooper and Kerevi will probably work pretty well though. But it is not yet proven.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^^^ I agree that Kerevi looks to be a potential playmaker as well as having his line breaking skills, and I say again that I expect him to prove the point within the next twelve months. But if results are what we want to see to prove a point, very few of the current Wallabies have proven their worth against the ABs. Sometimes, it is worthwhile going with a gut feeling especially when what you've tried over and over again doesn't come up with wins.

I am looking forward to Cooper/Kerevi cutting it up in Super Rugby next year, assuming that's where Quade finishes up.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The difference between Foley and Cooper as 10's;

Any team with Foley as 10 requires a playmaker at 12, not a second playmaker, as Foley doesn't count as a playmaker.

Any team with Cooper at 10, doesn't necessarily need a second playmaker at 12.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
ATM Foley has some runs on the board, sadly Cooper does not - Fact.

Will be interesting if Chek selects Cooper on the bench, more interesting if run on.

Personally I think Quade really needs a Super season under his belt to show his game.

It will be a big call by Chek

Status
Not open for further replies.