• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The JOC (James O'Connor) Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Sad for the Force fans. I must admit I am a bit baffled at his decision to leave the Force and, from all reports, head to the Rebels.

I guess the Force weren't providing that losing feeling at a level that suited JOC (James O'Connor). Well, he will get his fill at the Rebels.

Football decision my arse....

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Well that frees up some cash. Lets get in a high quality flyhalf from Europe maybe? I am thinking an Argie who could come down and pave the way for the Argie entrance into the 3N.
Is Felipe Contemponi still on contract?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's an odd call on his part, but we aren't privvy to all the conversations he's had with his own management and can only speculate on his motives. With that said, I'm disappointed as a Force fan. Life goes on though and we showed enough without him late in the season to believe there is hope for improvement next year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well that frees up some cash. Lets get in a high quality flyhalf from Europe maybe? I am thinking an Argie who could come down and pave the way for the Argie entrance into the 3N.
Is Felipe Contemponi still on contract?

I think Contepomi has just signed with Stade Fraincais i think. But I agree, use the money to buy a quality foreign player. Juan Martin Hernandez maybe? He was the best 10 at the last WC before injuries have slowed him down.

A promising thing from a Force perspective would be the development of players such as Stannard, Sidey and Dellit. As Hornet said, the Force have showed they'll be fine without O'Connor

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
True, and we have Kyle Godwin who must be 18 by now, another year and he will be ready to make his super rugby debut...

But we need an experienced player I think, who knows how to win.

T

TheNextBigThing

Really? Another international test fly-half.

After Pretorious and Ripia I'd be cautious.

Twice bitten shame on you. Thrice bitten, and you're a f#$%ing idiot.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

I don't think they need a 10 really. Stannard is worth keeping there, he looks so good last few games. Then you have Ripia as back up. I think the force are now just one "star" back away from really challenging.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
It's interesting isnt it - first KB (Kurtley Beale) and now JOC (James O'Connor), 2 out of our 3 most marketable and arguable highest quality young players moving to a team which has no prospect of being competative in the competion in which they play for probably 3-4 years. Does this highlght the final transition to true professionalism, where a player looks at rugby as a career, with money the sole objective and winning as no more than a way of measuring your market value? Time was players had a passion for a club, and if not the club they would move to a team where they could be a chance of winning a title. These 2 big signings look more like a move for money and who cares about titles. I know the prospect of being at a start up club would be fascinating, but they king of missed the boat and could never be "foundation members" like phipps or vuna or kingi can claim later in their careers. Is this why some people argue our national team has lost it's fierce cometativeness, and are happy to just play for money? Dont know, these are just thoughts on a page (at this stage)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) is sick of being shifted around, and being cut out by his flyhalf...

Plus, it's hard to turn down the opportunity to leave Perth and live in a city like Melbourne...

T

TheNextBigThing

The quality of the players inform the club's prospects. If they have the best players their results should typically come to reflect that. Although the experience of the "Real Madrid" of Australian Rugby suggests otherwise.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The quality of the players inform the club's prospects. If they have the best players their results should typically come to reflect that. Although the experience of the "Real Madrid" of Australian Rugby suggests otherwise.

The media beat up that came from the Brumbies signing Elsom was rather silly...

And it really did come from the signing of one player... the media didn't bother to look at the playing roster and previous years results and compare that to a team like the Tahs...

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) is sick of being shifted around, and being cut out by his flyhalf...

Plus, it's hard to turn down the opportunity to leave Perth and live in a city like Melbourne...

He will be able to walk down the street here and no one will recognise him, except me and a few others.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)

Thing is we need a player who can win games. That was JOC (James O'Connor). We now dont have him.
There is no-one in the Force who is an established match winner. We need someone of tha calibre to mentor the youngens.

Id also like to see an established TH picked up, who can scrummage - that player is not Ma'afu.

D

daz

Yep. As TBH said, we really have no idea what JOC (James O'Connor)'s motivation is, but as far as reasons go, I'll buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.