• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The JOC (James O'Connor) Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Utility Back

I don't 'pick on' the Force at all, respectfully that is not correct. I am critical of many RUs in Australia, with IMO very good cause based upon hard results actually achieved (or not) given the player and $ resources they possess. My belief (as you'd know) is that the majority of Aus rugby RUs are (as of 2011) poorly governed and managed at the highest levels. The 'lack of depth of players excuse' for our general mediocrity of S14/5 results is a myth often perpetuated because observers are either inexperienced in assessing sports management quality (and thus focus excessively on individual players to explain a team's results), or won't hold top leaders/managers/coaches properly accountable as they should be held, or they simply don't want to offend the controllers of the game, for numerous varied and complex reasons.

In any event, are you happy with the Force's 2011 performance - 5 wins out of 16 games? 6 years and still trying to breakthrough to the finals? By objective standards, is this in aggregate an acceptable performance? Or do you just sense the need to show emotive fan loyalty (fair enough) vs a really hard look at how well the RugbyWA business is run over a number of years and thus judge them on output delivered, not sentiment?

Honestly just wondering what sports management experience you have, not trying to troll or show you up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't 'pick on' the Force at all, respectfully that is not correct. I am critical of many RUs in Australia, with IMO very good cause based upon hard results actually achieved (or not) given the player and $ resources they possess. My belief (as you'd know) is that the majority of Aus rugby RUs are (as of 2011) poorly governed and managed at the highest levels. The 'lack of depth of players excuse' for our general mediocrity of S14/5 results is a myth often perpetuated because observers are either inexperienced in assessing sports management quality (and thus focus excessively on individual players to explain a team's results), or won't hold top leaders/managers/coaches properly accountable as they should be held, or they simply don't want to offend the controllers of the game, for numerous varied and complex reasons.

In any event, are you happy with the Force's 2011 performance - 5 wins out of 16 games? 6 years and still trying to breakthrough to the finals? By objective standards, is this in aggregate an acceptable performance? Or do you just sense the need to show emotive fan loyalty (fair enough) vs a really hard look at how well the RugbyWA business is run over a number of years and thus judge them on output delivered, not sentiment?

OK, a couple of things. Firstly, Vern Reid, who runs the Force and RugbyWA is a very experienced chief executive of sporting organisations. He was in charge of the Perth Wildcats during their dynastic years of the 1990's. The bloke knows what he's doing.

http://www.perth2011.com/about/team/perth-2011-board/vern-reid

You'd struggle to find too many other sports administrators with his track record in this country and feel comfortable that we're in good hands there. As a member, apart from a few minor niggles, I've felt well catered for by the Force and will be renewing my membership for next year. The majority of the decisions made by the board, I've been in agreement with. Nearly every other member I speak to feels the same way, especially since the team has changed camps to Perth Oval.

Secondly, on the performances this year: I don't feel like they've achieved enough and am disappointed by it. I make no bones about it. Then again, if I look at the Australian conference, we've finished above two other teams, so the year hasn't been a complete failure. As far as the performance over the last six years, I would like to have seen us play finals footy by now, but I go back to our previous debate about the relative strength of the Force and in comparison to a couple of other established franchises, we've done pretty well. We've also developed several young blokes who are either test stars or well on the way to it. For the overall benefit of Australian rugby, I'd call that a success.

I again draw your attention to the comparison with the Brisbane (Bears) Lions. Similar market, similar support of the game in an outpost and similar results at first. But they gradually got better and won three flags on the trot. I have no doubt that with the right plan, we could have a similar level of success. I'm just not expecting it next year. I will be disappointed if we aren't challenging for a finals place in 2012, however. The pack is shaping up beautifully I reckon, we just need some creativity in the midfield. Two crashers is not the answer.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
RH and TBH, would it be a correct assumption that people with top managerial skills are being much better paid in other industries in Australia in comparison to that in NZ and South Africa?

If so, no wonder the RU's in Oz are not as well run as they could be...the cost of living in Oz precludes altruistic career moves into sports management from older and established industries.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well certainly being CEO of BHP Billiton, NAB or Rio Tinto pays a lot more than RugbyWA or the ARU -- as it should. In truth though, there are few sporting organisations in the world that would pay enough to lure a well credentialled private sector executive who didn't already have a passion for the game and plenty of money already. Maybe one of the pro sports teams in the US or a European football club like Real Madrid, Barca or Man Utd.

Status
Not open for further replies.