• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The JOC (James O'Connor) Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Makes me wonder why the Tahs haven't thrown their hat in the ring. Barnes is doubtful to ever return, Beale is gone, JOC (James O'Connor) would be the perfect signing. Exciting back who could cover 10, 12 or 15 and bring the crowds and the much-needed 'x-factor'.

They said at the time if they could have spent the money they would have spent it on Kurtley

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It seems they just can't afford him, which concerns me. How can the Rebs and Force have the cash to offer $1m a year and the tahs, supposedly the financial powerhouse of australian rugby, can't even get close to competing.

I bet the Tahs could have lost money this year, weather is shit, we got beat by the Cheetahs and since then crowds are down.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't want him at the Brumbies...

We've already got enough talented inside backs starved for game time....

I doubt it will happen but a backline comprising - 9 White, 10 To'omua, 12 JOC (James O'Connor), 13 McCabe, 15 Lealiifano - would be good to watch.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slim, they'll get their chance. If there's one thing we've learned from this season, it's better to have more than enough players than not.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Who cares where he goes? Next year the whole circus will start again and he'll piss off somewhere else. Hang in there, he'll make the rounds so everyone can have a bit.

Couldn't help but notice on the Twithead feeds on the front page that he has gone quiet so for once we don't know what he had for lunch today. Someone told young James to shut it for a bit.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Makes me wonder why the Tahs haven't thrown their hat in the ring. Barnes is doubtful to ever return, Beale is gone, JOC (James O'Connor) would be the perfect signing. Exciting back who could cover 10, 12 or 15 and bring the crowds and the much-needed 'x-factor'.

If we had money to get O'Connor you don't think we would've used it to keep Beale?

D

daz

I wonder if JOC (James O'Connor) has really considered the move from Perth to Melbourne? Given rugby is a winter sport, I would much rather do my training at NiB Stadium and post-game recovery in the waters of Cottesloe beach, rather than train at AAMI Park and post-game recovery in Port Phillip Bay.....

Silly boy.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
we should remember that weve only heard one side of the story
oconner is in the top few players in the country who is wanted by every australian team>
he is a winner who has spent the last few years in a team who loses more games than they should and always sits at the bottom of the table>
these kpis he suggested may have simply included wanting to see the force improve their recruiting so they can play finals footy> all they seem to recruit is cast offs who prolly wouldnt make the starting team in any other australian team
until we see him sign for another team and maybe some more details come out ill reserving my judgment of him

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
we should remember that weve only heard one side of the story
oconner is in the top few players in the country who is wanted by every australian team>
he is a winner who has spent the last few years in a team who loses more games than they should and always sits at the bottom of the table>
these kpis he suggested may have simply included wanting to see the force improve their recruiting so they can play finals footy> all they seem to recruit is cast offs who prolly wouldnt make the starting team in any other australian team
until we see him sign for another team and maybe some more details come out ill reserving my judgment of him

Are you still a winner if, over the last 2-3 years, you've lost more games than you've won? It was his job to steer his team around when playing 10 and he failed to close out close games. I've said before that the other backs looked to him to do something and I'm sure he thought he could as well. That is a sign of his immaturity as a player and the contract situation is a sign of his immaturity as a man.

I think he has enormous talent, but it is the mental side of the game that separates the champions from the also rans and I'm seeing worrying signs of attitudes suggesting young players over estimating their importance.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if JOC (James O'Connor) has really considered the move from Perth to Melbourne? Given rugby is a winter sport, I would much rather do my training at NiB Stadium and post-game recovery in the waters of Cottesloe beach, rather than train at AAMI Park and post-game recovery in Port Phillip Bay.....

Silly boy.

Aye.

I've been to Melbourne in winter....once. A cold, dark, unforgiving place that is. Only with a tortured soul can one survive that place.

It's so cold all balls shrink. Even the footballs. They kick this fucken funnny shrunken little mickey mouse kid's ball around and call it sport. Poor buggers. Don't throw away your old blankets.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't find anything to be critical of in the way the young bloke has conducted these negotiations. I have seen nothing to indicate that he misled anyone. He is also entitled to take his time to consider his options. The fact that he used a lawyer to negotiate on his behalf together with the suggestion that he relied on his father for advice rather than working through a player manager could indicate a higher degree of self confidence and possibly astuteness than other players. I don't see these as negative qualities.

Describing himself as a "brand" has exposed him to ridicule but it is probably reflective of the realities of modern professional sport.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe because living in Melbourne is 10000x better than living in Sydney?

I've lived in both. Pros and cons abound either way. I am a tad short of the 10000 pros needed to get Melbourne over the line. And that's only against the first pro for Sydney.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I can't find anything to be critical of in the way the young bloke has conducted these negotiations. I have seen nothing to indicate that he misled anyone. He is also entitled to take his time to consider his options. The fact that he used a lawyer to negotiate on his behalf together with the suggestion that he relied on his father for advice rather than working through a player manager could indicate a higher degree of self confidence and possibly astuteness than other players. I don't see these as negative qualities.

Describing himself as a "brand" has exposed him to ridicule but it is probably reflective of the realities of modern professional sport.

I agree except for the KPI's, the employer set's the KPI's, not the employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.