• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Elsom Saga - Clubs withdrawing offers is all the rage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What legacy?

The one he will create if the Wallabies win the RWC and go on to defeat the B&I Lions under his captainage (is that a word?).

Rocky is a cut above Saffy, Delve, Mowen and Dennis. Someone will pick him up.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
He'll have to go to the Rebels (which is best fit under current circumstances). I just don't see any other options.

The Force have managed to keep 4 world class backrowers happy in one team, and with Delve gone after next year it's only for 12 months.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I am not sure why, but it does seem to me that tall poppy syndrom is getting a bit on the ridiculous side. I don't rate Elsom as a captain, but he is a very good player. There are obviously reasons he isn't wanted at the Brumbies - I'd be interested to know what they are. His injury record this year is a concern, but comments here seem to go beyond that an suggest that, even fit, he wouldn't make any of the franchises run on side - IMO that suggestion is a bit ridiculous.

In the same manner, some of the attacks on Giteau seem over the top. I wouldn't have him in my Wallabies backline at the moment, and I definitely wouldn't have him as my goal kicker again, but some comments seem to suggest he is an absolute dud. His form actually seems a lot better this year and I think there are far worse inside centre options around.

At the end of the day, Australian rugby hasn't got the depth that we should be happy about Elsom potentially being lost overseas.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon this is crazy. Are we really suggesting Alcock, Dennis or mowen are better players than elsom?

I doubt anyone would suggest that is the case. But its like when you go to the jewellers to buy that diamond ring. The nice ones are expensive and sometimes, if you haven't got a lot of money, you buy the best you can. Especially as you know there are lots of other expenses that have to be dealt with too.

Rocky has always had extended bargaining processes so he can squeeze out the best deal he could. It has worked for him in the past, but people have long memories sometimes, especially when they feel the deal advantaged one party a lot more than the other party. The only way this is going to work now is for the ARU to step in. They'll have to tell Rocky to either withdraw his special conditions in return for some extra dollars or go overseas. Their call, they are the ones that want him. The provinces would like his skills, no doubt, they just can't afford the add-ons that come with that skill.

S

Skippy

I'm pretty certain Rocky will end up at Melbourne. Lipman (correct me if I'm wrong will have to leave this year/next year as he doesn't qualify for Aus? - with the Rebels more likely to hold onto Delve at 8 as their foreign marquee player) Saffy will move into 7 (where he is more suited) and Rocky will take up the 6 shirt.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Ahh, did I not predict this scenario? Expect the ARU to quietly pressure the Tahs to sign Elsom. IMHO Elsom would not get a start at the Force, the Reds are interested (rightly so) in developing their own young talent, The Rebels have a better 6 in Saffy and the Brumbies told him to pack his bags (which really bears closer examination given they have lost Chisholm and Chapman who were really their standouts at 6 this year and would also play a significant aspect in why nobody else wants him).

The Tahs are his only option but with the Salary cap coming in next year how will they pay him and keep the rest of the squad they need like Dennis, Palu, Waugh (or another decent 7), the front row plus buy a replacement 10 or 12 for Barnes? Apart from that do not forget that their is significant bad blood with Elsom at the Tahs after he was released on compassionate ground so Elsom could bail himself out of HIS financial predicament and assured same team he would return to them when he finished in Euroland. As with so many other Bullbog RLFC mercenaries his word appears meaningless and he went to the Ponies. Add to that bitterness the well reported acrimony with Waugh (who like it or not is a NSW stalwart) and you have an emerging picture of reluctance from the Tahs.

So like I said last month when he was told he was unwanted at the Ponies, where can he go?

The question now becomes what will the ARU do? They face a ground breaking precedent here in that their annointed Captain (which is a point of hot and contentious debate in itself) is unwanted by anybody. Will they then meekly lose face and say Oh well he has no choice but to go overseas, and what is the clause in his contract with them if he fails to get a position with a Province? Will he then challenge the Wallaby selection criteria and say he I have an ARU contract and was available but unable to get a Super spot therefore I should still get selected?

Highly informative post Gnostic! I had heard that the blazers in Canberra called time on Elsom after Elsom informed them that he would continue to look around and secure the best possible deal for himself, while still leaving the door open to the Brumbies.

While Waugh and Elsom aren't exactly bosom buddies, both have enough nous not to get in the way of a beneficial deal. One obstacle for the Tahs is the uncertainty surrounding their coach next year (I mean, Waugh is still probably going to run things anyway).

As to where Elsom will end up, Rebels appear to be have the best shot.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
They'll have to tell Rocky to either withdraw his special conditions in return for some extra dollars or go overseas. Their call, they are the ones that want him. The provinces would like his skills, no doubt, they just can't afford the add-ons that come with that skill.

Hawko, apart from money, length of contract etc, what other "special" or extraordinary terms are you alluding to?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko, apart from money, length of contract etc, what other "special" or extraordinary terms are you alluding to?

Waratahs terminated negotiations when Elsom apparently wanted some say in who was running what. Story was on RH and an extract is probably back a few pages in this thread.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I am not sure why, but it does seem to me that tall poppy syndrom is getting a bit on the ridiculous side. I don't rate Elsom as a captain, but he is a very good player. There are obviously reasons he isn't wanted at the Brumbies - I'd be interested to know what they are. His injury record this year is a concern, but comments here seem to go beyond that an suggest that, even fit, he wouldn't make any of the franchises run on side - IMO that suggestion is a bit ridiculous.

In the same manner, some of the attacks on Giteau seem over the top. I wouldn't have him in my Wallabies backline at the moment, and I definitely wouldn't have him as my goal kicker again, but some comments seem to suggest he is an absolute dud. His form actually seems a lot better this year and I think there are far worse inside centre options around.

At the end of the day, Australian rugby hasn't got the depth that we should be happy about Elsom potentially being lost overseas.

I agree. Although, I'd be pretty sure that Giteau will be starting at 12 for the WC with his only contender Barnes out and JOC (James O'Connor) replacing Mitchell on the wing. And I seriously hope that Elsom can get some game time and build some form before leading into the WC.

C

Couch Norm

Rocky (free of injury) is by far a cut above the rest. Because of injury, Super Rugby management would be asking am I going to get vaule for the amount of money I'm going to pay. From the Wallabies side of things they know that he will be right for the World Cup games.

It is interesting to read that the Waratahs were so keen to get Rocky back then closed the door when Waugh wanted to stay.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe he was one of JO'C's KPIs?

I think the quote from Vern Reid was that JOC (James O'Connor) wanted two international outside backs to play outside him at the Force, so unless we're having a Spiro moment I don't think Rocky would've been in that list.

I also don't know how the Rebels would afford him either? $2 base salary and some nice top-ups?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Force already have 25 backrowers with test credentials (this number may be a gross exaggeration), so if he's going to stay in Australia the Rebels are the only team for him...

D

daz

I find it simply incredible that the current Wallaby captain cannot find a team to play for. His only option is to chase scraps from the wooden spooners. In-fucking-credible.

What kind of millstone or baggage does Rocky have hanging around his neck? Ok, he isn't the greatest 6 in the world, but he has pedigree and class, no matter which way you look at it.

Or are his negotiations being handled by JOC (James O'Connor)'s people.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.