• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
Thank you and sorry! Half the time I just end up guessing from context clues if I don't have the ref audio - I try to make it clear I'm not a ref myself (although I did get to TJ 4s and 3s earlier this year) so hopefully people don't place too much importance on what I say re: Laws

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Cheers mate, probably not my thing but would like to get back into a club again in some level. Just a watcher these days.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
That one must hurt Eastcoast! Sets up a cracking Kentwell Cup GF - Waverley would be confident after knocking off Blueys well in Round 14. Will be a great atmosphere at Concord next week with two big clubs coming together.

Waverley 2s bounced in straight sets after an undefeated minor premiership. Colleagues looked impressive today and have found form when it matters.

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
Great day of Prelims but not a massive crowd unfortunately - certainly not the same sort of atmosphere as the Grand Finals of last year or last week but that's understandable given the (slightly) lower stakes. Notable was the fire drill-esque evacuation of the Blue Mountains contingent after losing both Suthos and Judd Prelims - would have thought they might've wanted to get in early to give it to Waves/Hunters knowing they'd encounter one of them next week.

It's another east-heavy Div One Grand Final day - with Easts claiming Shute glory today, there's a possibility of every top flight Cup in Subbies heading east of the Harbour Bridge as well (if you count Mosman as an "eastern" team, geographically). 5 clubs will be represented, with Drummoyne, Forest and Lindfield watching from the touchline, but Mosman only have the one crack at silverware (in Colts, of course).

I have to question the scheduling of this rugby season overall - Wallabies tests going head-to-head with 3pm kick-offs, Shute GFs against Subbies prelims, etc. I know it sounds silly but it's not a good look when the "take with no give" top end of town muscles out grassroots (in my opinion).

Waverley did well to dig out of trouble in the Kentwell and shock Hunters Hill who, despite an early ambush with back-to-back Four'N Twenty™ [the Great Australian Taste, naming rights partners of NSW Suburban Rugby - if you want to find out more about Subbies rugby, visit rugby.net.au] Meat Pies, seemed to stay in the sheds after the break.

Overall, Hunters Hill will probably be frustrated to miss out on Kentwell, but will still have a strong presence at the top-half of the card. Waverley's only hiccup was the Burke Prelim - Colleagues too strong, but Waves still have 4/6 sides in the big dance.

Colleagues will be ruing close misses in Barbour and the draw in Whiddon - missing out on Finals in 1sts, especially just avoiding the spoon, will have been disappointment that could have been consoled by having a side in every other grade. I'm not a fan of the "draw to progress" rule - I understand why it's needed but, at this point of the season, just let the players sort the result out. Same goes on GF day - would anyone actually be happy to share a premiership?

Blue Mountains have to be the story of GF Day 2024 - if they can fill their "gaps" in the middle grades, we could be witnessing the emergence of a new powerhouse in sub-district rugby. Considering the struggles of rugby on the other side of the Nepean Bridge, they should be commended for another incredible season. History will show they only have 1s and 3s on Saturday but the "one team club" idea has surely been silenced. A possible Emus entry may threaten them but nothing retains talent like success. I also wonder whether, should momentum continue to grow, could we see Blueys push for Shute in the next decade?

Interestingly, after a wet and miserably cold season, today was bordering on a scorcher save for the wind. The Major Semi winners, no doubt, would have been happy to sit in air conditioning and watch the game streams rather than be out there in the middle. A few injuries as well and some ill-discipline means there may be some changes in the next few days.

Should be a cracker final week of rugby.

Friday, September 6 @ David Phillips
Sutherland 5ths (7pm): Waverley v Colleagues

Saturday, September 7 @ Concord Oval
Judd 4ths (9am): Waverley v Colleagues
Whiddon 3rds (10:15am): Blue Mountains v Waverley
Barbour Colts (11:40am): Mosman v Hunters Hill
Burke 2nds (1:20pm): Hunters Hill v Colleagues
Kentwell 1sts (3pm): Blue Mountains v Waverley

I'll be calling Judd, Whiddon and Burke GFs while Hamish and the NSWRUTV team will cover the Barbour and then Kentwell - if you see me (the bloke frantically running up and down the grandstand for a coffee break between grades) feel free to say g'day!

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Crazy your not doing the big ones on Grand Final Day your calls this year have been fantastic.
Though not sure if your in charge of the DJ at the ground but after a number of weeks of finals, Playing Jump and Push it for every line out and scrum is starting to wear a lot.

I know we can’t do it at Concord (at least I don’t think so) but i think Subbies need to look at the later start to avoid the Friday night/ 7:30 arrival for 4s. Surely a 5:30-6 kick off under lights for 1st Grade would add some prestige to the game and be that something a bit “different”. By the time the Waverley and Colleagues boys finish at David Phillips on Friday night they’ll all be getting ready to head straight out to Concord first thing on Saturday morning.
Just a thought to look at the scheduling to try and appeal to as many people as possible as you say

The Ghost of Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Central Coast Rugby Union had their grand finals last week at Central Coast Stadium with a 5pm kickoff for 1st Grade (Premier 1). Finished at a reasonable time around 6.30pm under lights.

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
Appreciate the support - I'm more than happy to take the "lower grades" games, the NSWRUTV team are highly experienced and will do a great job as always. Also affords me a chance to run down and grab some hot food and a coffee during Colts!

I'm solely commentating at Concord - I think Wests have their own DJ and MC/announcer. If memory serves, the Pirates have a "push it" chant for their scrums, so I get it - that said, when I do matches at Rothwell, I only "intervene" with music for run outs/intervals and our tries. I've never felt the need to play music every time play stops but most grounds seem to do that now.
I know we can’t do it at Concord (at least I don’t think so) but I think Subbies need to look at the later start to avoid the Friday night/ 7:30 arrival for 4s.
Central Coast Rugby Union had their grand finals last week at Central Coast Stadium with a 5pm kickoff for 1st Grade (Premier 1). Finished at a reasonable time around 6.30pm under lights.
Central Coast, off memory, is owned and operated by the council just like Concord - but it was built for NRL and "major" sports so was made for night games. There's not much residential right near it (except for in the hills around it) so less light pollution concerns.

The key issue with Concord has always been the houses on Loftus Street, right behind the main grandstand. There have always been talks about lights there, I even suggested them to council when Allianz and Parramatta were being rebuilt as an "interim" solution, but they've not pulled the trigger. Under the current, redeveloped plans, I'm not even sure they have the facilities for it, which is disappointing.

It would make for a way better day of rugby in my opinion to have all 6 grades back-to-back BUT I was absolutely knackered by 1st grade kick-off yesterday. There are ground marshals, time and scorekeepers, camera and production crew, etc. that put in a non-stop 8-hours-plus shift yesterday.

Concord also sits right in-between, in terms of facilities, a suburban venue and a major venue, a bit like Drummoyne Oval. Both are operated by Canada Bay Council (the c.2000 amalgam of the old Concord and Drummoyne Councils, funnily enough) - Drummoyne does have floodlights which, in fairness, probably illuminates half of Hunters Hill, Woolwich and Gladesville across the river - DD have night football there quite often (including the night of my engagement party in the Greg Davis Stand, funnily enough).

Concord is much better suited for rugby being purpose-built for it, but you can't always do it all - any lights would be so heavily restricted in their use by council (think maybe 8 or less nights a year) that, by the time you get to Subbies GF day, Pirates, WT and Super Rugby (women's) have probably gobbled all those slots up.

A more practical solution may be to have one or two of the early games simultaneously at St Lukes #3 or North - there's a footbridge over Gipps Street and a walking track around St Luke's Oval (now a local AFL venue) that connects both to Concord Oval. However, if you have, for example, Waverley and Colleagues facing off both 4s and 5s (it'll never happen...), then you're stuffed either way.

Very few non-suburban grounds in Sydney will have a "feature" field and another field nearby - Belmore comes to mind but also has limits re: floodlighting. With the potential for open selection in Finals days, unless you want to "drop" a grade to open up the potential of further breaks or extra time, I think we're pretty much hamstrung without lighting up the last game or 2.

Cut One Wrap

Frank Row (1)
What a crazy finish to that Whiddon game. Heartbreak for colleagues who were coming home with a wet sail. Is this the first year they haven’t had extra time? For some reason I thought that was generally how finals games were decided

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
From the Ops Manual

36.14 In the event of a draw at the conclusion of allotted time:

a) In semi-finals the team which finished highest on the competition ladder of the minor premiership shall be declared the winner.

b) In finals the team which finished highest on the competition ladder of the minor premiership shall be declared the winner.

c) In a grand final extra time shall be played consisting of two extra periods of ten minutes each. There shall be no interval between each extra time period. The teams shall play the first period of extra time in the opposite direction to that which they were playing at the end of the scheduled time. At the end of the first period of extra time the teams will again change playing ends. If the tie still remains, then the teams shall be declared joint premiers.

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
I seem to be the only person providing predictions and tips into First Division - Willing for someone else to provide some analysis.

A tough weekend for 1s for sure. Waverley defended extremely well with good scramble whenever the line was broken in those last 15 minutes. Came very close within the last 5 minutes on both wings, with a bit of luck could have gone the other way.
After Saturday, I'm not sure Waverley can beat a full strength rested Blue Mountains. Will be great Kentwell Grand Final and will enjoy watching it - hopefully after watching a two trophies come back to Boronia.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
That's because the real action is in division 3 Eastcoast! It's a cold world being a tip man in GAGR, damned if you do, damned if you don't, don't let them get you down!

Final makeup of the finals is Waverley - 4 (Kentwell, Whiddon, Judd, Sutherland), Colleagues - 3 (Burke, Judd, Sutherland), Blue Mountains - 2 (Kentwell & Whiddon), Hunters Hill - 2 (Burke and Barbour) and Mosman - 1 (Barbour). Going to be some great clashes across the board, might have to make the trip out to Concord to watch the action... how much were the beers again?

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
Beers were pushing $8-10 per can which is a bit of an outrage when you are selling New and VB. Great beers, but surely not more than $5 when Dan Murphys are selling cubes for $50.
If they were selling some stuff from White Bay then maybe that price can be understood.

21mm

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tooheys NEW a 'Great beer' ?!

1725239689701.png