• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
It will rely on a number of clubs filling the bottom 2 spots with only a couple of grades and hoping Hills numbers don’t worsen. Could end up being a 6 team comp next year. Either way there won’t be a lot of footy for the lower grade guys at the clubs

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Without knowing a lot about the Div 3 clubs Irish, Knox Merrylands, I haven’t seen any of them regularly fielding that 3rd side to show there numbers. Would be a huge step up to compete with the big Div 2 clubs

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
I had the honour of commentating the Division Two Grand Finals on Saturday and it was another fantastic day of rugby...

Excellent commentary job, well done. In the clips on the Newport socials your voice captures the atmosphere perfectly. I watched some of the lower grade Shute shield games yesterday and with zero commentary its just a yawnfest. Are you doing Div 1 finals this week?

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Without knowing a lot about the Div 3 clubs Irish, Knox Merrylands, I haven’t seen any of them regularly fielding that 3rd side to show there numbers. Would be a huge step up to compete with the big Div 2 clubs

Yep can't see it happening, all the better div 3 clubs face one major issue or another.

Irish: Could maybe stretch to a third grade side at best (5 games of Halligans), no colts
Knox: Couldn't get 3 grades out
Merrylands:: Couldn't get 3 grades out weekly - though they did play a couple weeks of Halligans, could maybe stretch, but no colts
Valley: Have the numbers, don't have the talent
Harbour: no colts or second grade

They'll have to get creative.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
In theory I think you'd rather a club like Knox plays Barraclough, Stockdale and Robertson, or Irish plays Barraclough, Stockdale and Blunt than have a repeat of this year's mess. Will leave that one to the decision makers though...

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Darby Loudon (17)
Looks like forest played their last game in Div 1 last weekend, but I guess will be dependant on wether Newport are ready to make the jump up.

As previously mentioned before they've had some numbers problems, which will not fly in Div 1. Any Newport supporters/insiders got any knowledge on their plans? Ashame we might not get to see Forest v Newport derby in a competitive match-up.

Maybe if Newport can't make the jump UNSW might?

Last edited:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Difficult when we don't have 8 clubs fitting the varying cookie cutters in each Division.

Having a mixed Division can work but eventually you need clubs to get to the stage where they can make the jump. Evolutionary thinking required.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I think Knox Old Boys have the players to to Div 2 if they get the pipeline from the school going again who I think have 8 grades at school in opens?. Before they imploded they were doing pretty well in Div 1 for a while with 6 teams.
Requires some serious recruitment, strong leadership, fairy dust and luck.

Mule

Ward Prentice (10)
LCOI colts gave a valiant effort, but were only in the game due to a heap of discipline issues by Knox in the first half..... once Knox improved their accuracy the floodgates opened....

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
It is interesting Burraneer used the strategy of qualifying players from the Wollongong Comp who had played all year there and finished their season. Players scraped through with "2 games" and then popped up in the finals.
Who are these players that have been pinched from Wollongong? Strange one given their comp is still going.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Turning my attention to div 1 now that 2 and 3 have wrapped, interesting to note this weeks prelim finals are made up solely of 4 clubs: Hunters Hill (2), Waverley (3), Colleagues (5!) and Blue Mountains (2).

Throw in the fact that Blue Mountains (2), HH (1), and Waverley (2) already make up 5 of the 6 GF qualified teams (long live Mosmans dominant Colts outfit), it's certainly shaping up to be a very top heavy Grand Final day next week. Comparatively, a hugely lean year for Forest, Drummoyne, Lindfield and to a lessor extent Mosman.

If the unthinkable happens and Colleagues were to lose their 5 prelim finals... could see a situation where 11/12 grand final teams are from 3 clubs!

Even more interesting to note that Waverley (2016), Hunters Hill (2020) and Blue Mountains (2018) were competing in lower divisions not all that long ago and are now the powerhouses of division 1, full credit to them!

Last edited: