• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sutherland - Waves
Judd - Waves
Whiddon - Blueys
Barbour - Mosman
Burke - HH
Kentwell - Blueys

Regardless, on a 24C day at a very nice facility, rugby is the winner!

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Kentwell lunch yesterday. Congratulations to those involved and the winners on the day. But the rest of the divisions feeling left out. No recognition for the other divisions since the presentation night was cancelled for budget concerns (even though clubs had to pay for tickets) and has been replaced with a Div 1 lunch (yes I know it’s part of a sponsorship and numbers are limited). There is more than just Div 1

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
I might be biased but I know who I'd rather have in my team (still internally crying we didn't have him for the Barraclough final...)

Can only be a good advertisement for Subbies - might even get some Wallabies down, they've probably played with him!

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
EastCost Division 1 Finals Tips

Kentwell Cup
Blue Mountains
vs Waverley. This is the pinnacle of Amateur Rugby in Australia. Looking forward to relaxing and watching this one without any bias. Both sides extremely well coached and play different styles. Blue Mountains led around by some high quality former Shute Shield players, Waverley with solid players across the board. Looking for a high scoring final in this one.
Blue Mountains 41 - Waverley 34

Burke Cup -
Hunters Hill
vs Colleagues. Another great game between two high quality sides. HH have been strong all year with good depth of players going between 1's and 2's keeping everyone at their best. HH were able to knock off an impressive Waverley two weeks ago. Well rested and motivated for another trophy. Colleagues really hit their straps in the 2nd half of the season, players who benefited from a few 1st graders returning improved the skill and ball movement in this side. Mightily impressive last week Colleagues. Can see some danger players in the 10 and 15.
HH 24- Colleagues 17

Barbour Cup

Mosman vs Hunters Hill. Cracking game of colts ahead of us. Mosman have been the benchmark all year and have some good Premier club experience in their side. HH have a very well rounded team, play fast at ruck time and get the other team back pedalling constantly. Size and speed for this HH team will be the difference. Mosman have all the pressure on them to take this out. HH to run over them late. HH 31 - Mosman 27

Widdon Cup

Waverley vs Blue Mountains. A tough start to the day for Waverley losing 2 from 2. This Blue Mountains side are the ex 1st grade side that won a few comps back in 2018. Still a very good rugby team when they all show up. They did a number in the Major Semi and Waverley only scrapped in past Colleagues. Blue Mountains to seize control early and hold on against a fast finishing Waverley. Blue Mountains 28 - Waverley 24

Judd Cup

Waverley - Colleagues. Colleagues to turn the tables and win their only Premiership of the day here. Waverley wont be able to handle Fifita when he turns it on. Players that are a cut above, usually go at 50% in the regular season, but turn it up for their mates to win a premiership. Fifita to push through the line and hand it off the his 13 Ricky Webb who will score a double and win MOM. Colleagues 19-14

Sutherland Cup
Waverley -
Colleagues. Waverley have been the team all year with the depth and skill in this 5th grade competition. Seems like a few of the backpackers in their club may have played higher elsewhere but just around to have some fun on a Saturday morning (in this case Friday Night). Colleagues havent had success in Sutherland since 2015. Always the Bridesmaids to Mosman and now Waverley. This game will stay close throughout. Waverley to win 15-12

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Jeez Blue Mountains are building a dynasty up there. Where are they getting their players from? Think I saw on the Halligans ladder that they had an 8th grade play a game or 2. Will the re-emergence of Penrith ( with potentially better facilities) be a risk to their dominance?

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Jeez Blue Mountains are building a dynasty up there. Where are they getting their players from? Think I saw on the Halligans ladder that they had an 8th grade play a game or 2. Will the re-emergence of Penrith ( with potentially better facilities) be a risk to their dominance?
I don’t think the re-emergence of Penrith will have too much of an impact.
The issue for Penrith is that they cannot offer anything that Blue Mountains cannot. No player payments allowed in Subbies, so I think it’s going to be a tough recruitment path.
The thing for Blueys, as an outsider looking in, is how to convert their Kentwell success into success in the Burke Cup.

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
Equivalent Coaching and possibly better facilities could be a factor.
For a Div 3 club, that Penrith clubhouse is a real asset.
Another factor could be those Blueys players who live East of Penrith might prefer a shorter trip to training / match day. Anyway, will be great to see a potentially strong Penrith in Div 3 with aspirations for Div 2. The covid impact on a lot of clubs is still evident and Div 2 and Div 3 needs sorting out still.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
I know Adam Fletcher and he is a good man, so I'm backing Penrith to be fine, however, I hope it doesn't affect other local clubs, such as Hawkesbury Valley, Blue Mountains, Western Raptors.

On a different note, that rivalry/hatred between Colleagues and Waverley is a very juicy one. Found myself sitting amongst the Waverley supporters yesterday and when the Colleagues captain in Burke Cup said he was happy that they played Hunters Hill, "rather than those wankers from Waverley" (may not have been the actual words, but definitely the message), the Waverley lads were seeing red.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Darby Loudon (17)
Its simple. Waverly while a great club, with gret culture and play good quality rugby. Simply are jealous of Colleagues history and pedigree, and to be honest they will never be able to reach it. Not many clubs can.

Colleagues is the most successful and prestigious club in subbies and a lot are jealous.