• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
I was hearing on Saturday that a few were from Norths Colts. Either way, a strong group of colts.
Game was close on the weekend, but there were a few things that If HH get through this week against a surging Colleagues, I expect that the GF may go the other way.
You said the same thing about first grade... I love your optimism EC!

Here To Do

Frank Row (1)
Sorry for the lack of replies but thanks to everyone for your support! Happy to report I'll be covering all the Div One Prelims at Concord on Saturday as well for those who were hoping to hear more of me
How do you get that gig? With so much club rugby covered on various platforms now commentating must be the only position in rugby booming.
After I finished uni in 2015, I reached out to Briars and became their "DJ" (i.e. pressing play as the team ran out and scored) and ground announcer, bringing my PA to the old shed. I got lucky that around the same time they were planning to build their new pavilion/grandstand, which we moved into in 2017 (I think) and have stayed ever since.

After Cluch then NSW Rugby TV began streaming, clubs were responsible for providing commentary and I basically assumed that role. I've always wanted to become a commentator so jumped at the opportunity as soon as it became an option and have been lucky enough to call 89 club games, over 100 total and now 11 Grand Finals too.

I'm currently a volunteer, essentially an "amateur" commentator, but I take pride in my work. I try to treat the players, clubs and officials with the same respect as if I was calling a Bledisloe or World Cup match. My approach is that I can never know if any given match will be someone's first, last, best, worst or only match and that I have a responsibility to treat each match as important as any other.

Regarding the Finals, I reached out last year via the club to volunteer for Subbies. NSW Rugby TV were only going to have commentary on 1st Grade and Colts for D2 Grand Final Day so I got to take on the "reserve" grades, namely 2s, 3s and 4s. NSWRUTV and Subbies both seemed to like my work and invited me back for D1 a fortnight later. This year we'd been discussing a similar arrangement but I got entrusted with all D2 Grand Finals this time around with the NSWRUTV commentators heading out to Eastwood for D3 GFs. I'll be covering all D1 Prelims as well as the reserve GFs again this year.

I was also lucky enough to be asked by Sydney Women's Rugby to call their Premier XV Div. One Semi-Finals at St Luke's North earlier in the month which is the "highest" level I've called - absolutely cracking rugby. If you haven't given the women's game a look, I'd highly encourage you to.

If you're interested in giving it a go, reach out to your club (or a local club) and see if they'll have you - that's exactly how I got into this realm a decade ago. Most of the NSWRUTV operators carry a headset in their kit for commentators so you generally don't need any equipment to get started - that said, having your own microphone, at a minimum is recommended. Grab a pro headset (I use the Audio Technica BPHS-1) or even a handheld mic (like Duck Man uses, something like a Shure SM58) and an XLR cable and you're on your way.

One good thing about Subbies, for commentary, is that we use Fusesport for team lists and scoring. I have my team lists up on my laptop - just beware that in typical fashion every player will wear the wrong number jersey.

I'm happy to answer any other questions - I'm a pretty open book as far as this stuff is concerned and would urge anyone who has the itch to just reach out and have a crack!

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Just having a lunch time scrowl through my socials and see Newport's social site posted two videos from Saturday. The first one was the try in 3rd grade which has been viewed 6400 times across Insta and FB and the dying minutes of 1st grade is approaching 9500 views. Lets hope that between the 15000 views someone on the northern beaches thinks, wow I want to play rugby next year ! I'm sure the players involved have probaly watched it 10 times each but still its a lot of views and hopefully puts fire in someones belly.

Platypus

Frank Row (1)
Division 1 Tips

Kentwell Cup
Hunters Hill Vs Blue Mountains - This will be an arm wrestle up until the last 20 minutes, where you can expect the likes of Wessels (9) and McGregor (10) to take control of the game. Key matchup to keep an eye out for tomorrow is between McGrath and J. Camroux in the centres. BMs by 7.

Waverley
Vs Lindfield. - With Lindfield getting absolutely thumped in the 2nd half of their last game against Colleagues, I do think it's going to be a tough outing for them tomorrow. Waverley to dominate up front and will really set the tone during scrum time. Waves by 14.

Burke Cup
Hunters Hill
vs Waverley - Tough game to tip on the main oval tomorrow. Look for Ben Stewart and the winger Dreve to link up on attack and cause havoc upon the Waverley backs. HH by 5.

Colleagues
Vs Forest - The Forest Burke cup team have been a shining light for the club all year. The Colleagues Burke Cup lads are no strangers to a tight win and I expect that tomorrow. Expect both Patrick Turnbull (8) and David Tejeck (9) to have huge games for colleagues as they look to hold onto the Burke Cup. Colleagues by 8.
Looking to go 6/6 and keep my Div 1 streak alive.

Here's my predictions for the finals this weekend.

Kentwell Cup
Waverley is in red hot form off the back of their 10 Steve Duke in the past few weeks, who has returned from Ireland after missing a large portion of the season. Looking forward to watching both him and Sam Ryan go toe to toe this weekend. Expecting this game to be a high scoring shootout HH by 5

Burke Cup

Exciting matchup at 1:15 on Concord oval with Waverley coming off a 6 point lost to HH and Colleagues getting the chocolates over Forest by 12. I think the Blue giants have just started to peak at the right time and will find a way to sneak through to the GF. Keep an eye on locks Ed Taylor and Alex Lennard-Jones, a key matchup in this one. Colleagues by 3

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Lets hope that between the 15000 views someone on the northern beaches thinks, wow I want to play rugby next year !

On this, I've seen that Knox 1st Grade are going up against their Brothers IV Brothers legends team at the School No1 for their postponed Gala Day on Saturday. Thousands of people stream through the gates on Gala Day each year at the school (and the main event is usually the school 1st XV game at 3:15pm), I'd imagine if the club represents itself well that level of interest might lead to a few more players showing up for preseason next year - maybe there's your answer for Division 2 if it eventuates!

I've heard Wallaby #880 Nathan Charles is lacing them up for the Legends team, along with a slew of other former Shute Shield standouts like Richie Woolf and Kingsley Seale, sounds like the current crop will have their work cut out for them, just a shame it's competing with Div 1 prelims and Shute Shield grand finals...

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
us Legends will have an average age of over 40! current 1st Grade should run rings around us!! feeling very anxious
1724912786281.png

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
Div 1 Tips;

Kentwell
HH
- Waverley. Great game. The winner of this I think takes out the whole thing. Waverley have been so good over the last month and come off an absolute belting of Lindfield in a Finals game. Seem to be playing very fast and very direct. Strong across the board. HH were very good last week and just couldnt get away from Blueys whenever they hit the front. The backline threatened to break the game apart on numerous occasions and can see a few tries this week on a fast Concord oval. This game will go down to the last play. HH by 3

Burke
Waverley -
Colleagues. Waverley were a little bit flat last week early, however were coming home fast once the nerves had settled. A team surely cant do 14-0 and go out in straight sets. They have a good squad and similar to first grade, play very direct. Colleagues have had the ability to have this as their top squad and finished the season with some very good wins. Blue Giants will be sniffing a few grand final births this week. I dont think they do enough unfortunately. Waverley by 7

Barbour
HH -
Colleagues. HH were very brave against a well drilled and in sync Mosman Colts squad. As with first grade, If HH get another shot at Mosman, I can see the result being turned around. Colleagues Colts are a quality squad and have some speed out wide. Forwards are well drilled as with most colts coming out of a Private school system. HH have alot of strong carriers in the forwards and flair out wide. HH by 7

Whiddon
Waverley -
Colleagues. Waverley were knocked about last week out of the blocks. The Blueys team are very good across the board and probably benefit from coming together at the right time, whereas the Waverley team has just been strong from Week 1. Waverley will be very difficult to be beaten two weeks in a row. Colleagues have had a good year in 3's to make the Prelim, however I just cant see where their points will come from to overcome a quality Waverley outfit. Waves by 12

Judd

Colleagues - Blue Mountains. Ive tipped Blueys just to split the 4's and 5's. Hard to differentiate both teams. Both are lining up to be runners up next week to a red hot Waverley 4's. Celebrate this win like a GF win who ever gets up. Blue Mountains 4's are always very big and physical so I can see this doing enough early morning. Blueys by 5

Sutherland
Colleagues
- Blue Mountains. Colleagues will go into another Sutherland cup GF here.Very good squad and just came up against a very well drilled Waverley last week. They have some skilled players in the right positions for 5th grade, which allows the others to go about their work. Blue Mountains had a huge comeback last week after being down by 3 tries but got the W. I cant see them doing it again. Colleagues by 10

Ref_Ted

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry for the lack of replies but thanks to everyone for your support! Happy to report I'll be covering all the Div One Prelims at Concord on Saturday as well for those who were hoping to hear more of me

After I finished uni in 2015, I reached out to Briars and became their "DJ" (i.e. pressing play as the team ran out and scored) and ground announcer, bringing my PA to the old shed. I got lucky that around the same time they were planning to build their new pavilion/grandstand, which we moved into in 2017 (I think) and have stayed ever....
As a ref it is always interesting watching back a game with commentary. The first time you provided commentary on my game you (rightly) chastised me for not noticing a taken back in the 22m :) (tackled outside and placed ball inside).
There was other stuff you called out (incorrectly) though I have had to work on my hand signals this year so I am likely to blame there as well.