• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Care to give us your predictions now ilovesubbieswaytoomuch???
Div 3 Clark Cup:
Sydney Harbour Vs Sydney Irish
Battle of the eastern suburbs here, in typical rugby union fashion. After harbour managed to steal away a GF berth from the girthy grip of a huge merrylands team, momentum is well and truly behind them. Fast counter attack and some size out wide they do pose a serious threat to the northern hemisphere outfit in sydney irish.

I think it all comes down to how the two teams decide to kick. Plugging corners or attacking kicks, the team that exits the best will get the job done. I’m backing irish by a conversion, as they have a mighty fine kicker (despite him setting the ball up like stevie wonder)
Irish by 2

Farrant Cup
KNOBS Vs Sydney Irish
In what seems like a walk in the park for the northerners who haven’t seen the sun in a while, an upset could well and truely be on the cards. Whilst size, technique, confidence and Irish jigging definitely sits with the boys from Coogee, Knobs definitely have them with speed. With former 100m sprinters on either wing they have to play with the width of the field to have any luck. Notably, Colin Ojah, should he decide to have his hair braided, aerodynamics are really at play. The Irish have a strong (English) Scrumhalf who loves to go himself, likes to play some footy too.

Once again in a battle for the ages it’s all about how the two teams exit. I think the real key to this game sits on the Knobs bench, a bloke by the name of Sam Carroll, this kid an ex Springbok academy prodigy with a horrendous gas tank. Give him any room and he will punish you
KNOBS BY 6

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Darby Loudon (17)
If you go a few pages back someone was suggesting a possibly colleagues relegation due to their placement on the CC table. Which was laughable at best.

Kentwell isn't all that matters eastie.

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
Div 1 Tips

Kentwell
Blue Mountains - HH. Tipping with my heart and my head here. Blue Mountains have been strong all year, although I feel that there are some areas to exploit. The last game at Boronia showed this will be a cracking game. Two good teams going at it. HH to come home fast in the heat. HH by 3

Waverley -
Lindfield. Waverley on a winning streak, Lindfield on a losing streak. Two good teams matched up well across the park. Lindfield have finals experience from last year. Waverley will have the crowd of their whole club. Wont be much in it, although I can see Waverley getting across the line late. Waves by 5

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Joy Johnson
Need I say it? Hornsby by more than a bit. Two weeks ago they put 67 to zip on Irish, and while the scoreline might be closer, this is a lay down misere.

DIVISION 4
Grose Cup
- Berries have made a few changes to their starting lineup from a couple of weeks ago, where they eked out a win at Mittigar. Not sure what this means for Raptors but they'll need to lift in order to overcome the home side. Berries by 10.

McLean Cup - should be a humdinger. Major semi was very much ebb and flow, and really depends on who Hornsby bring. With their regular #9 and captain missing on the 10th, they still held their nerve to overcome Raptors. Lets see what lessons Raptors have learned. Hornsby by 3

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
It is being reported that UNSW have received approval from Subbies to play a grade-aged player in their colts Grand final on Saturday. Interesting to say the least. I'd suggest all other teams in all divisions should try the same!

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Big day at Concord tomorrow and here are a few tips.

Barraclough - Newport v Briars - Briars played their GF two weeks ago at Rothwell. Newport will be better and have been the mark of consistency this year. It will be close and Newport will need to make sure they hold parity at scrum time as it cost them in the Major semi. Breakers to cap off a great year with the 1st Grade prize. Newport by 5.

Stockdale - St Pat's v Epping - we have all heard of the Epping situation ad nauseam. End of the day they have some class players in their team and that cannot be denied. St Pat's 2nds have been strong for a number of years now including their stint in Div 1. It will be an arm wrestle initially but tipping St Pat's to get home in a close one as well. St Pat's by 3.

Robertson - St Pat's v UNSW - could be the match of the day. Last time they met it was 3-0 to St Pat's. UNSW have come home with a wet sail knocking over a strong Newport twice in quick succession. Both teams are pretty evenly matched and well balanced in the backs and forwards. St Pat's were impressive in the Major Semi so will tip them to be the benefactor of the week off. Bold prediction is this one will go to extra time with St Pat's to win by 2.

Blunt - Newport v Petersham - Petersham 3rd Grade are very strong and did a job on St Pat's last week but took their foot off the pedal late (when the game was done). Newport may have the benefit of some Colts coming into 3s but the Shammies will be too strong in this one boasting an experienced and high quality outfit. Petersham by 10.

Richardson - Newport v Epping - 4th Grade is always a bit of a lottery in finals and largely comes down to a few star players, of which Epping have a few. Some strong ball carriers in the back row will do some damage for the Rams and get them some momentum. Epping have beat Newport twice already in 2024 and I'm backing them to do it again. Epping by 4.

Northies

Stan Wickham (3)
It is being reported that UNSW have received approval from Subbies to play a grade-aged player in their colts Grand final on Saturday.
Has been playing since round 6. Is a prop, so ensures competitive scrums go ahead. Competing clubs have to be informed in advance each week, which I'm sure they were and were ok with it. Jog on.

21mm

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big day at Concord tomorrow and here are a few tips.

Barraclough - Newport v Briars - Briars played their GF two weeks ago at Rothwell. Newport will be better and have been the mark of consistency this year. It will be close and Newport will need to make sure they hold parity at scrum time as it cost them in the Major semi. Breakers to cap off a great year with the 1st Grade prize. Newport by 5.

Its true. Newport HATE scrums

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
The argument 'we've been breaking the rules for half the year, so that makes it ok' seems a bit iffy, but well done on it being approved! Like I said, if it's allowed for one team, it should be allowed for all teams, don't you agree?

I remember a few weeks ago when the request to play said prop was denied and yet, like magic, contested scrums went ahead! Maybe a breakdown in communication? Maybe this prop should jog on to the Grade competition where the health and safety of under 21's players isn't at risk

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
I love a UNSW pile on. He was starting for first grade all preseason. Also, rumours out of Newport that the Allen brothers have had a falling out. Briars by 30. Up the Shammies!

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Div 2

Barraclough:
Briars go in as steady favourites after a last start on the bell victory over Newport. They have had the week off after a brutal physical encounter whilst the Breakers had to tough out a good win over Hills. The warmer weather will favour the younger fitter side, Newport will have a deep bench of quality 2nd graders to call on and so will go with the team that has dominated all year to overcome the odds for victory. Breakers by 1

Betting market Briars $1.80 Newport $2.00

Stockdale: Still reeling for the boys going down by 1 last week as this is the best Breakers 2nd grade side for quite a while and that loss will hurt for a long long time. St Pats will start as heavy favourites over Epping and I think they will go on for a good win being to clinical in the set piece for the Rams. St pats 10+

Betting market St Pats $1.65 Epping $2.10

Robertson: Interesting insights regarding the prop scenario at UNSW, given Newport played two back rowers as props for most of the season due to injuries, including last weeks 2 point loss to UNSW. St Pats vs UNSW will be a cracker game, UNSW definately peaking at the right time but I think if St Pats can get early points they are excellent front runners. St Pats by 7

Betting Market St Pats $1.85 UNSW $1.92

Blunt: Petersham are big and skillful, will have plenty of talent available to them and take on a much smaller younger side. Newport got beaten in Rd 1 20-0 at Porters before getting up 5-3 in Rd 2. If the Breakers can nullify Shammies big ball runners they will fancy their chances.
Newport by 1 for me please.

Betting Market Petersham $1.80 Newport $2.05

Richardson: Another big battle between the ages, a sprinkle of old hard heads mixed in with plenty of young kids versus the big Rams. In Rd 13 Newport had Epping 21 zip at half time but a spirited come back saw Epping pip them 26-24 and ultimately cost Breakers the Minor Preimership. Newport were impressive dispatching St Pats surprisingly comfortably in the Major and Epping looked powerful in seeing them off last week. This will be a high quality affair, individual flair from someone will be the difference but I think Newport will be up for this and fitness could be the difference. Newport by 7

Betting market Newport $1.85 Epping $1.95

Last edited:

Champagne Rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
DIV 2 GF Preview/prediction.

1st Grade: Briars V Newport: A rematch of the major SF which was decided in Briar's favour by 5 points. Briars strength is their size and their ability to dominate the gain line with the big pack bending the gain line, making big tackles and dominating the scrum. With no 2nd grade playing as was the case in the SF, Briar's fresh reserves should mean their isn't a big fitness drop-off the for the team in the 2nd half. Briars backs are strong and play smart footy often playing territory and knowing when to test stretched defenses. Newport strength is its speed and skill from 1-15 and its ability to score from most places on the field. For Newport to win they need to play fast footy and avoid scrums, whereas briars need to play it tight, stayed disciplined and unleash their backs and against a retreating opposition. I am tipping Newport to turn it around this week and show why they were the form team during the year, the lack of colts and 2nd grade playing should also help them. Newport by 7

2nd Grade: St Pats v Epping: A last round lost to Newport knocked Pats of the minor premiership, but they responded by beating Pats in the major SF. Pat's are big and fast and have managed to beat most teams with this combination. Epping just scrapped through to finals, but were able to beat most teams throughout the season. Interestingly Epping beat Pats in their most recent encounter. Epping at times struggled against teams that have played marginal and fringe 1st grade players. Finals strict eligibility criteria will favour Epping. Despite this Pats class will rise to the top in a close encounter. Pat's by 5

Colts: Pats v UNSW: I thought this game like 2nd grade would have been Pat's v Newport, but not to be with Pats winning the major and UNSW knocking out Newport in the minors. Both teams are very well drilled, tackle hard and play structured organized footy with typical colts energy. Pats strength is their Defence only conceding 62 points during the season. Finals footy can be slow and tight with everyone well drilled and often the best defence wins. I am tipping pats by 12.

no real idea about 3s and 4s

3rd Grade. Petersham v Newport: I like teams which only have 1 grade in the final, am going to side with Petersham for that reason alone, Petersham by 9.

4th Grade: Epping v Newport: The Epping team has been together for a while, Epping by 3.

Platypus

Frank Row (1)
Division 1 Tips

Kentwell Cup
Hunters Hill Vs Blue Mountains - This will be an arm wrestle up until the last 20 minutes, where you can expect the likes of Wessels (9) and McGregor (10) to take control of the game. Key matchup to keep an eye out for tomorrow is between McGrath and J. Camroux in the centres. BMs by 7.

Waverley
Vs Lindfield. - With Lindfield getting absolutely thumped in the 2nd half of their last game against Colleagues, I do think it's going to be a tough outing for them tomorrow. Waverley to dominate up front and will really set the tone during scrum time. Waves by 14.

Burke Cup
Hunters Hill
vs Waverley - Tough game to tip on the main oval tomorrow. Look for Ben Stewart and the winger Dreve to link up on attack and cause havoc upon the Waverley backs. HH by 5.

Colleagues
Vs Forest - The Forest Burke cup team have been a shining light for the club all year. The Colleagues Burke Cup lads are no strangers to a tight win and I expect that tomorrow. Expect both Patrick Turnbull (8) and David Tejeck (9) to have huge games for colleagues as they look to hold onto the Burke Cup. Colleagues by 8.