• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
I will

I will tell you what it did do, it has kept the club alive. At a time when rugby is struggling, we are all doing the best we can.
All the Division 2 clubs agreed to this situation, it might be hard to swallow now but it is what it is.
We are not taking for granted the position we are in, nor lording it over anyone. If you’d told me five weeks ago, we’d be contesting grand finals, I’d have told you that there’s no way.
Despite the allegations on here, we aren’t pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes. We’ve worked hard to put ourselves into a position to save the club, at the same time, clubs around us are also struggling, see Eastwood, Beecroft, Mac Uni, St Ives.
Funny, it would be okay if we lost, but not okay if we win. Look at it this way, Epping might be the last remaining hope for rugby in the Epping/Eastwood/Ryde/Carlingford/Dundas area.
Fair enough Prodigy, I don't have a dog in the fight so it's interesting to hear both sides. Best of luck this Saturday!

crushermoran

Bob McCowan (2)
One club (because of their own shortcomings) has been allowed to play their 1st XV against every other clubs 2nd XV (which flows on to the 3rd and 4th Grade competitions). Of course this is going to cause issues, particularly when clubs who have "done the right thing" are the ones who lose out to the club who needed additional support at the start of the year. Let's not forget this decision was made the week before the competition was started and Subbies were left with no real alternative because they were informed of Epping's issues too late.

There is merit to both sides of the argument but in any event I don't think Epping will be in Division 2 next year even if they take home two premierships.

To be fair to Epping, in 2023 they were meant to be in Division 3 and only moved up to Division 2 a week before the season when all the clubs in Division 2 were complaining about being in a 6 team comp. Subbies sent an SOS and Epping agreed to do a favour to the competition.

Move forward a year and Epping applied to be in Division 3 or 4. This was far earlier than a week before (I know this as I was with Knox committee members when they were asked to replace them 3-4 weeks before round 1). Subbies approached every Div 3 or 4 club about moving up and not one of them accepted including Sydney Irish, Knox, Hawkesbury Valley and Merrylands, who would all have been a better fit. As a result, Epping were forced to remain in the division and this was the option presented. At the time, my understanding is most clubs were happy with the arrangement, particularly as it allowed another colts side (Hunters Hill) to field a team in the competition.

Epping will be moved out next year and rightfully so, but the carry on is very short sighted.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Fair points again Crusher, though I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. Merrylands and Knox would struggle greatly to get a third grade side on the park, Knox has colts but it sounds like they wanted whoever went up to let Hunters Hill fill their colts spot. Irish could maybe stretch to 3 with no colts, whilst Valley might have the depth but certainly not the talent imo. I said earlier in the year that I don't think there's a single club who's got the resources to do it from Div 3... maybe it's an Irish plus a Div 1 colts b side next year as the answer, given they're on track to win both grades in Division 3 this year (unless i pick them to do it then they'll lose both convincingly...)

Would the powers that be prefer one club forfeits first grade each week or another potentially forfeits 3rds and 4ths...

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Recent experience tells me that many are only happy when they're unhappy.

TBF Epping's Stockdale side were 7 and 6, and beat a Newport team - by a point - who were minor premiers (11-1-1).

Considering Newport have First Division aspirations, I think that's what we call "finals footy".

Give and go

Frank Row (1)
Who do we have winning Kentwell from here on out? I think it’s obvious Lindfield have done their dash which has been impressive, but haven’t got the depth/ stamina to keep it going. 3 horse race for me which I am slightly leaning towards Waverley which pains me to say.

Keen to hear your thoughts

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cowboy Cup table has been updated/amended - Newport back to 1 closely followed by Irish and Hunters Hill. HH have the most opportunities to accrue points in the weeks to come. Newport will need to take full advantage of their 3 Grand Finals if they are to kick clear!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Going up to Lapstone and giving the defending Premiers a bit of tap is no mean feat. Might have to watch that before making a judgement.

That might have given them serious momentum and perhaps that will be the Kentwell GF match up. Hunters Hill will have something to say about that no doubt. Fascinating viewing.

I'm conflicted between going to TG for 3rd Div, sitting on the couch for First Div, or just having Saturday off.... the forecast for showers has backed off...

muff.rothfield

Frank Row (1)
KNOX v Iggies Div 3 GF

I understand many people here are hot on Knox to win this. I have some concerns. Firstly, their star player recently was injured in a targeted attack on-field and may be absent from the game. Don't forget that this kid is a legend so he may play.

Further concerns are:
- The banfield twins are physically unable to make a legal tackle below the sternum
- The hooker (i think his name is chode) can't throw straight
- The backs coach has been absent all season. Maybe this is why they've gone undefeated?
- Will Peter poulos pass the ball. I think no
- Is tristan asher part bumper car? The kid can't be tackled - I would have flogged him back in my day.
- Will Jack sloane be violently hungover
- Does the KBC actually have a BC?
- Is kyhnan only there for diversity requirements
- Kobe can't kick. this is a big one
- Brian (cam stocks) to'o has been battling a groin injury recently. Will he play
- Does Tom Nathan know they have a game?
- Will Korthout go to Newcastle the night before and miss the game
- Will Gosper or Freddie pay their subs

For all these reasons and more, Iggies 1-12.

Muff.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Surely there’s no better way to spend your Saturday at TG with the phone set up for the Div 1 finals. Drinking a well earned beer in the sun drinking in some quality footy!

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
Id like to think a well earned beer down at Drummoyne Oval with the phone on Div 3 would be a better set up. Blue Mountains v HH. Sunny and 22 - Perfect

Eastcoast

Bill Watson (15)
The gap between HH and Blue Mountains wasnt that big last time we played them. Im a little biased, but I feel HH will take it out this year. I think Waverley are also hitting top gear at the right time of year, although looking at team sheets says that Blueys rested a few last weekend.

This might be stating the obvious, but getting next weekend off will be a huge advantage given the Prelim final will be a very physical affair no matter who out of the top 4 make it to week 2.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
If my options are a Blueys repeat, Hunters Hill or the British & Irish Waverlions, I think the heart backs Old Soldier. Head says Blueys though. Kentwell has been such an even, interesting competition these last few years, the mess that is the lower divisions aside, the top div is in a really good place right now.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
My ears are ringing. Never been more confident in a perfect round... let's finish on a high.

Division 3 Grand Final Predictions:

Clark Cup (1st Grade) - Sydney Irish vs. Sydney Harbour:
Have gone against Harbour two weeks in a row and they just keep proving me wrong - these lads just lift when it's win or go home time. Irish have been the cream of the crop all year having only lost one game, whilst Harbour copped some key injuries down the back end of the season and crawled to the finish line. For those who haven't been paying attention, Irish play a very northern hemisphere style game, whilst the Harbour boys love to throw it around, playing hard, fast and slick.

Key matchup here is in the back row, Mecinsky is easily Harbour's best, while Ronan Scott is the heartbeat of that clinical Irish pack. In the backs, Sykiotis at 13 for Harbour is a real game breaker and a try scoring machine, whilst Ross Hynes and John O'Brien are masterful field generals for Irish and can hurt you with a quick right foot and dart when you clock off for a second. O'Brian also loves to boot 3 pointers from halfway to punish ill-discipline. Really tough one to call, but I'll play safe and take Irish to finish off their fantastic season. Irish by 7.

Farrant Cup (2nd Grade) - Sydney Irish vs. Knox:
On paper, this one should be a walkover. In 2s, Irish has lost one game all year and it was in Week 1... undefeated since April 13th is a hell of a record, whilst Knox has bobbed, weaved and counter punched all year to scrape into the GF on the back of a 1pt minor semi win and a 6 pt final win.

For Knox, I really like Connor Hughes, over the ball his body position makes him damn near impossible to shift. The diminutive winger Dan Mooney can hurt you from anywhere on the field if you let him get loose. For Irish, Marc O'Connell and Jack Comerford are a hard hitting, hard running duo in the back row that nobody seems to have an answer for. Games aren't won on paper however, and if you look at both sides against Merrylands these last two weeks, this one all of a sudden looks pretty even. I'll take Irish, and I apologise in advance as the PFE2 finals curse now sits with them. Irish by 3.

Nicholson Cup (Colts) - Knox vs. Lane Cove Old Iggies:
These two sides met in the major semi and Knox pitched a shutout at 47-0. How on earth could this go any other way... well; there's complacency, overconfidence and big game jitters... can the Knox younglings handle the pressure of expectations? We're about to find out.

Hard to pin point standouts for Knox, they're stacked across the board here. The Banfields are pests all over the field, whilst Peter Poulos gives them immense strike out wide. Kobe Fulton leads them around the paddock expertly too. For LCOI, Laughton up front at 3 is a real work horse, can do it all, rare for a prop, whilst they'll need a huge game offensively and defensively from Lambley at 12 if they're to trouble their undefeated opponents. I love an upset, but I don't believe in fairtytales. Knox by 20.

Yours in no more match previews until 2025,
PFE2