• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I’d be surprised if we dont see them back in div 1 in a couple of years. Would ne so good for comp to see a strong Penrith in subbies again.
I wonder what this will mean for Blue Mountains if Penrith start to grow again. There success hasn’t been due to Penrith not being there but they have benefited from being the only side in the area. It happens in the East so no reason why we can’t have to big Div 1 clubs in the West close to each other

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
St Pats will enjoy the big Newport crowd at Porters this weekend.
Was going to tip 5-0 sweep to Newport this week but I see they’ve gone off early celebrating a well earned club championship. So I’ll go a split with Pats getting the win in 2s and Colts. Interestingly if Newport loose Colts they could find themselves dropping to third and being jumped by Uni.

Seems like only the other day this forum was writing off the end of Unis success over previous years and now they look like they can win at least a couple of premierships this year

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Was going to tip 5-0 sweep to Newport this week but I see they’ve gone off early celebrating a well earned club championship. So I’ll go a split with Pats getting the win in 2s and Colts. Interestingly if Newport loose Colts they could find themselves dropping to third and being jumped by Uni.

Seems like only the other day this forum was writing off the end of Unis success over previous years and now they look like they can win at least a couple of premierships this year

UNI are definately peaking at the right time. Newport have a ton of outs with injury, many for the season, so Saturday will be a very interesting test for where they are at against St Pats considering most grades may play them again in week one of finals.

Bismarck12345

Frank Nicholson (4)
UNI are definately peaking at the right time. Newport have a ton of outs with injury, many for the season, so Saturday will be a very interesting test for where they are at against St Pats considering most grades may play them again in week one of finals.
Interesting game scheduled. You’d have to think clubs may be scared to play uni in the final, on their day they can flog any team in the comp. Will be interesting though how they go if they get there. Seams the likely teams they’ll face is either briars or hills - the two teams they didn’t beat. Think a Newport uni final would be the best best option for the comp - always a great fixture full of passion and recent history. Uni will be watching closely this weekend.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)

Tbf, Div 2's number 1 pundit @Heavyd seemed to be giving Uni far more credit than they deserved early in the season when the results weren't going their way, and I don't listen to anyone else when it comes to completely unbiased division 2 punditry.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)

Did UNSW colts have a make up game mid week as they seem to have come from the clouds to be just behind Newport?

Champagne Rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did UNSW colts have a make up game mid week as they seem to have come from the clouds to be just behind Newport?
Looks like all makeup games have been forfeited in div 2. I think it was just Colleagues II that needed to make up games having been a late addition to the comp. The changes push UNSW to just behind Newport and Beecroft just behind Petersham.

Bismarck12345

Frank Nicholson (4)
In
Tbf, Div 2's number 1 pundit @Heavyd seemed to be giving Uni far more credit than they deserved early in the season when the results weren't going their way, and I don't listen to anyone else when it comes to completely unbiased division 2 punditry.
In their defence Uni have consistently been a top 2 team for the better part of the past 3/4 years. They’ve never just gotten over the line. Although losing 6 on the trot arguably doesn’t warrant optimism.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 3 Round 14 (last of the reg season!) Predictions

Merrylands (1) at Knox (4):
Match of the round for me. Club champs on the line (though Irish will have a say in that), Merrylands on the road at Lofberg for Knox Ladies Day should make for an interesting encounter. Last time out Knox was thumped 43-7 at Holroyd, they'll be keen to make amends in front of a home crowd against an unstoppable Merrylands outfit. Knox has found potentially the player of the competition at number 8, but he can only do so much, and Merrylands' backline has been consistently slick all year. I don't see this being too much like round 1, but I still think Merrylands will spoil the party. Merrylands by 12. I'll take Knox 2s though, and Knox colts vs. Chatswood to complete a perfect regular season.

Old Barker (8) at Sydney Harbour (3): The wounded Harbour get a tune up game before finals against a Barker outfit that has lost any momentum they seemed to pick up in the middle of the season. Harbour will need the softer week after losing Garrels and Lorang in a 69 point drubbing at the hands of Irish last week. Harbour have an opportunity to show Knox they're ready for their minor semi final encounter next week. I think Barker's woes continue even against an undermanned Harbour, though I have been impressed by their big 12 in recent weeks. Harbour by 10.

Sydney Irish (2) at Hawkesbury Valley (5):
Valley had a seasons best performance last week away at Barker and will be looking to finish the regular season strong, but Irish are a different beast all together and just rattled the finals bound Harbour. I'd like to give Valley a punchers chance at home, but that big Irish forward pack and classy 9/10 will be too much for the Valley boys to handle, no matter how good they looked last week. Irish by 20.

Lane Cove Old Ignations (7) at Sydney Harlequinns (6):
It seems like just last week the Quinns were finals hopefuls, an upset loss to Valley, a mid week rattling by Knox and a forfeit two days later to Merrylands and they've dropped to 6, below the aforementioned Hawkesbury lads. A revitalised LCOI on the other hand have been two penalties away from beating finals bound Harbour and Knox in recent weeks. This would be game of the round if there were absolutely anything on the line, however I suspect the Quinns have truly mailed it in, so even at home, I think this new look LCOI outfit have what it takes to get the job done in a bruising encounter. LCOI by 5.

Yours in patiently waiting for the finals to start,
PFE

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Division 4

Firstly: tonight a Round 9 fixture between Chatswood (5) and Hornsby (2) takes place at Beauchamp Park 7PM. I'm backing Hornsby here, but both clubs will have an eye on Saturday where some important outcomes will be decided... read on for more!

Round 14
Wakehurst (4) v Hornsby (1) - it's ladies day at Wakehurst so the home side will look to a strong showing. However I think Hornsby will still finish the year with a win and want BPs for both grades to lock up the Club Championship*

Canterbury (6) v Chatswood (5) - Chatswood have had a lot of disruptions this year with wet weather, robbing them of valuable momentum. Canterbury will want to take maximum points, but they can't reach finals based on number of wins regardless.

Raptors (2) v Kings (8) - big win to finish the season at Mittigar coming up I think. May not help them grab the first silverware for the year, but they're top 2 and will want to prove that next week against Hornsby.

Renegades (3) v Redfield (7) - this will be a weird one. Redfield have had to forfeit 2s and while our numbers are OK, we have over 20 out, many of them First Grade. The mix of players means both clubs will probably look similar in terms of First Grade quality but Redfield are fit and probably more cohesive as a result. Backing the boys but don't think it will be at all convincing.

-------
* A word on Club Championship: presently we have Raptors 1890 and Hornsby on 1750

Raptors have 1 round left for a possible 170 points.
Hornsby have 2 rounds left for a possible 340 points.

If all sides win with BP Raptors get to 2060 while Hornsby land on 2090. Therefore Raptors will be hoping Wakehurst play above and beyond - if Hornsby win but drop the BP in both Grades on Saturday, Raptors win the CC by 4 points...

What a contest!

Last edited:

Champagne Rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Every game has final implications one way or another this week and it will be a thrilling way to end the season.

Petersham (7) v Beecroft (6): Last v 2nd last, yet with a BP win Beecroft could enter the top 4 for the first time this year, at the only time it really matters. Last time these teams versed Petersham won in a close game, since then Beecroft have improved significantly having beaten every team except Newport. Petersham have not won since but have been close in several games including the high scoring affair last week to hills losing 50-48. Beecroft have form and are playing with their season on the line, I expect this will be the difference. Beecroft by 12.

Newport (1) v Pats (5):
If Pats get a BP win they make the finals, a win and they are maybe in, a loss and they have no chance. They will need to turn their fortunes around having lost 3 on the trot. Newport are the form team in the comp and I am expecting them to bounce back from a surprise big loss to UNSW in the WW round. Newport at Newport on Ladies day, would be tough for any team. Newport by 19.

Hills (2) v Briars (4):
Winner will finish 2nd and get the benefit of the extra round in the finals. Hills are guaranteed to make the finals, but in theory could drop to 4th. Briars could drop out completely if the lose but a single BP should be enough for them to stay. The two teams played in the WW round, with Briars winning in a tight one. Hills must have the most self belief of any team in the comp, they have made three miraculous comebacks this year including last week, they will be in the game to the last minute. I expect briars size and speed to be enough to get them over the line, but expecting it to be tight. Briars by 3

Nervous wait for UNSW:
No game for them this week means they have to sit and follow every game to see if they have any hope of making the finals. Best case for UNSW is Pats, Beecroft and Briars to lose which sees them finish 3rd,, but in my tips i only have one of the events happening.

Final ladder prediction (current position in brackets)
1. Newport (1)
2 Briars (4)
3. Hills (2)
4. Beecroft (6)
5 UNSW (3)
6 Pats (5)
7 Petersham (7)

Eastcoast

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Glad we could get the real footy out of the way first before someone comes in with Div 1 predictions nobody cares about.....
I might as well keep my predictions to myself - Cant get them right anyway

Although - It is 1 v 2. Match of the Season in any division. Boronia Park. Clubhouse potentially open.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Where is all the Div 5 chat???!???
Oatley still with 2 make up games to play and only 1 day to go before the last game?? Not sure what Subbies are doing letting it get this late in the year.
do Blacktown want to sneak into the Top 4 off the back of some Oatley Forfeits and compete for the Jeffery Cup or do they want to go through in 1st and compete for the Meldrum? Interesting thoughts over at Blacktown

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
do Blacktown want to sneak into the Top 4 off the back of some Oatley Forfeits and compete for the Jeffery Cup or do they want to go through in 1st and compete for the Meldrum? Interesting thoughts over at Blacktown
Excuse my ignorance but how on earth does this work? Same team can win one of two cups based on where they finish up this week?

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Excuse my ignorance but how on earth does this work? Same team can win one of two cups based on where they finish up this week?
Because Div 5 is a larger comp and there’s no Div 6, they split the Top 8 at the end of the regular season. Top 4 play for Jeffery (Div 5 cup), next 4 play for Meldrum (Div 6 cup) and the remaining 5 sides miss out all together.
Gets more teams playing finals and stops one side running away with it and the lower placed teams dropping off once they are out of contention.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Because Div 5 is a larger comp and there’s no Div 6, they split the Top 8 at the end of the regular season. Top 4 play for Jeffery (Div 5 cup), next 4 play for Meldrum (Div 6 cup) and the remaining 5 sides miss out all together.
Gets more teams playing finals and stops one side running away with it and the lower placed teams dropping off once they are out of contention.
Like a plate and cup set up, makes sense, like it.