• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
More Div 3 Dribble - Round 13 Predictions:

With the top 4 (and both major and minor semi-finals) essentially squared away, will be see some teams rest players or start rolling benches out earlier to test some emergency combinations?

Sydney Harlequins (5) at Merrylands (1): With the Quinns fresh off a contention ending loss last night having to travel out to Holroyd on one and a half days rest will be the last thing on their wishlist. A rested and finals focused Merrylands will be looking for a clinical, polished performance and I see them getting it. Dion Amosa, Miti Malo and Dan Lelevaga the trio to watch here, all have been top tier all year. Merrylands by 20.

Sydney Harbour (3) at Sydney Irish (2):
Game of the round this week, not a lot to play for given the table but this will serve as a great litmus test for both teams. The technically brilliant Irish vs the high-flying Harbour, styles make fights, and Irish were far too good last time out against Harbour on the road. For that reason, I'll take Irish at home, though I think Harbour will like the springiness of the astro. Irish by 8.

Knox (4) at Lane Cove Old Ignations (7):
A real trap game on paper for Knox. LCOI have found form recently, going down to Harbour by 3 and Valley by 2, whilst Knox has been flying high, but are coming off a Thursday nighter, short players and not a whole lot to play for this week.. plus LCOI make their triumphant return to from all accounts a very well fenced Tantallon. I'll play safe here but dont be surprised if this goes the other way. Knox by 7.

Hawkesbury Valley (6) at Old Barker (8):
A bit of a nothing affair on paper, but Barker will have a bit more to play for trying to avoid the spoon and peacocking a little bit for the more diversified Ladies Day crowd, so I'll pick against the grain for them to get the job done at home. Barker by 5.

Yours in the grounds feeling like concrete at the moment,
PFE

Yeesh what a mess. 2.5/4.

Sydney Harlequins 0 forfeited to Merrylands 28: Tough having to back up from the midweek makeup games but this is a bad look for the Quinns who couldnt even coddle together 15 to get one grade out there vs Merrylands. Rumours of them posting the team at the pub on Saturday night club socials not helping them too much either... Looks like they're not planning a forfeit against a lower ranked LCOI this week! A fresh Merrylands go on the road to a wounded Knox for Ladies Day with the club championship on the line this week, cinema!

Sydney Irish 69 def. Sydney Harbour 0: That litmus test I was talking about? Yeah that went one way fast. Harbour were without their skipper and lost their talented 10 and 15 early but this one got ugly fast. Highlights a real concern around depth for Harbour, whilst Irish looked slick 1-15 and will be a real front runner heading into finals.

Knox 26 drew LCOI 26: I did say this one would be close, 2 day turnaround for Knox who looked like they named a bunch of second graders in their side whilst Iggies continue their wet sail run home, turning out a few new faces in their Lane Cove heritage jerseys this week. LCOI went up early before Knox came steaming home. LCOI too good over the ball late, turning Knox away time and time again to force a frustrating draw. Worrying signs for them heading into finals, whilst the joint venture avoids the spoon in their inaugural season.

Hawkesbury Valley 43 def. Old Barker 10: Well, there goes that upset prediction. Can't be too surprised, story of Valleys season, a side that has looked great at times and awful at others. They will strive for consistency next year to take that next step. A great penultimate week for them, whilst Barker all but ensures the spoon in what could be a death blow for the club. They'll need to re-establish a colts connection with the school, clubs like them, Knox and Iggies thrive off a strong colts outfit and the absence of them this year for Barker was evident across the club.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting to see if anything comes of the scuffle at the end of the Pats Uni game. Looked to be at least a few punches thrown after some of the Uni Players gave it to the Pats crowd. Could be some nervous guys from both sides in the lead up to some big games.
Pats bloke throwing them at a guy who was walking towards him with his arm extended for a handshake was a bit low brow..

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Jeez throwing a few haymakers in a rugby game is now assault? Whats happened to this world.
imagine what the punches they throw in jail rugby are called- attempted murder?

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Left out the bit where he flipped off the Pats fans immediately prior
A subbies rugby crowd can't expect to 'support' for 80 minutes (plenty of verbal abuse) and then get their knickers in a knot when someone waves goodbye to them when they've won the game. To me, that's a good bit of harmless back and forth between both parties. Belting the bloke when he's got his arm extended to shake your hand is making something verbal and good natured physical, so to me at least, that's where the line was crossed.

21mm

Allen Oxlade (6)
A subbies rugby crowd can't expect to 'support' for 80 minutes (plenty of verbal abuse) and then get their knickers in a knot when someone waves goodbye to them when they've won the game. To me, that's a good bit of harmless back and forth between both parties. Belting the bloke when he's got his arm extended to shake your hand is making something verbal and good natured physical, so to me at least, that's where the line was crossed.
100%, if you want to interact with the players and dish out some banter from the sidelines you have to take your licks if the result does not go your way.

Ive copped heaps as a player, (that one time when someone told me my gut was offside still haunts me), and ive dished out as a supporter but if you cant give/ receive a beer post match then i think you may need a thicker skin.

This all goes without saying, but its different if a line was crossed.

The Wombat

Chris McKivat (8)
I mean, flipping off the Pats crowd right in front of a Pats player and then going to shake his hand… you gotta expect that exchange to not go well.

SubbiesSoftie

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm sure there's some people here with better eyesight than me but I haven't been able to locate this 'welcoming handshake' or the associated 'haymakers'
Looked like a bunch of shirt fronting to me

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I’d be surprised if we dont see them back in div 1 in a couple of years. Would ne so good for comp to see a strong Penrith in subbies again.

I think it's important we have all the clubs we can get.

It certainly would create an interesting dynamic out this way.