• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting decision by Subbies to play the Round 8 washed out round in this wet weather weekend especially when the option of playing for double points exists in the last round.
Surely Lindfield and Forest must be upset to be having a week off when they still have games from their Round 3 and Round 7 washouts to play

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Or maybe they'll enjoy having the week off to rest some tired bodies. Players see "Wet Weather Week" in the schedule they've got half an eye on a week off anyway.

First Division Postponed matches -

R3 - Waverley v Forest
R3 - Mosman v Lindfield
R3 - HHill v Colleague

R6 - Colleagues v Waverley

Option exists for all of these to fall under the double points rule. R8 doesn't have that option, so better to get those out of the way, yes?

Greater good and all that.

The ultimate ressie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Forest v Drummoyne round 7 for all grades except 1st grade to make up
Would playing the full suite of games in round 14 with 2nd grade and below playing for double points work? Thoughts?

Last edited:

parkfootyenthusiast2

Stan Wickham (3)
Will go first cab off the rank for predictions this week, Div 3 as always, the true beating heart of Sydney's park footy scene.

Div 3 Round 10 Predictions (wild to type given the average number of games played to date across the div is 7.75!):

Old Barker (7) vs. Merrylands (1):
On paper, this should be a drubbing, but Merrylands looked shaky against LCOI who Old Barker dispatched of by a similar margin the week prior. Old Barker is also hosting Merrylands at the College for Back to Barker Day, so you'd expect a great turnout of players and supporters. If Merrylands names a team similar to the one that thumped Knox at home you'd have to pick them, but all the stars are aligning for an Old Barker upset here... In any case I'll play it safe and take the competition front runners, I'll give Barker some credit in the margin though. Merrylands by 10.

LCOI (8) vs. Sydney Irish (3):
On paper, this should also be a drubbing. Irish's clinical, northern hemisphere, kick well and chase hard, grind out, set piece style of footy has proven too much for every team but 1 of Merrylands' two cracks at them, and LCOI are lanquishing at the bottom of the ladder right? There's no reason for this to be close, right? Yes, that actually is right. I'm not buying what The Ghost of Bernie is selling, and I'm taking a rested, battle tested Irish to handle LCOI comfortably, even on the road. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong. Irish by 14.

Sydney Harlequins (4) vs. Hawkesbury Valley (6):
Valley's season all but ended after back to back drubbings the last two weeks, as they sit a win and a bonus point behind Knox and Quinns, both who have 2 and 3 games in hand on them respectively. If they're any chance at all this is a must win, and Waterloo Oval is a tough place to get one. The Quinns, for any short comings they might have, have been a pretty consistent outfit this year, handling the bad teams and playing the good teams reasonably close. I can't see them losing to a Valley side who just copped a 50 point shellacking vs Harbour last week, though their might be some early game rust as they haven't played since the 1st of June! Quinns by 17.

Sydney Harbour (2) vs. Knox (5):
Game of the round for mine. Harbour looking like the world beaters they've been the past two years again, hosting a Knox side desperate to prove that they can dance with the big boys in 2024. Harbour twice dispatched the Knox offensive last season, and again in round 1 this year, taking the tally to 3-0 in the all time head to head. Are hoodoos meant to be broken, or do Harbour just play the same style Knox does, but more refined, and simply better? We'll find out this week, but I'm going to go against the safe bet for the first time this week and take the Knox lads in a nailbiting, statement win. Knox by 3.

Yours in up the blues, in Trell we trust,
PFE

Results - 3/4

Merrylands def. Old Barker 27-12:
Decent scrap from the Old Barker lads, Merrylands still trudging along stacking wins and you can't discount that.

Sydney Irish def. LCOI 52-12: I should have taken the overs this week! Irish shrugging aside the cellar dwellars and reminding everyone they're still one of the staples of the Div 3 title hunt.

Hawkesbury Valley def. Sydney Harlequins 32-21: Well there's the upset of the round! Valley capitalising on a few yellow cards, one humorously for the Quinns 9 bone headedly knocking the ball dead with his hand 10 metres out from his own tryline, resulting also in a penalty try, to cause a boilover on the road at Waterloo. Firmly opens the door for Knox in the postseason hunt.

Knox def. Sydney Oysters 32-29: Picked the upset and the margin here. Statement win by the Knox lads on the road against a team they'd never beaten before. High scoring, high quality back and forth encounter. Knox now controls their own destinty, with a make up mid week game against Quinns circled as a do or die for both clubs. Oysters will need to be careful they dont drop another one unexpectedly too...