• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Blackadder saying territory is critical. Reds ranked 1st in Super15 comp for greatest average territory, Crusaders ranked 5th.

Crusaders average 9.9 handling errors per game, 6th highest in comp. Reds average 7.5, lowest in the comp.
I am amazed that the difference is only 2.4 errors between the top 6 teams.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You'd like to think so but I don't know. Everybody throws out all these claims about the Wob squad this year but the reality is it will be almost exactly the same as last year.

The first 3 years of a WC cycle are for experimenting, the WC year is for getting the machine you've built running smoothly.

If a player like Holmes can back up his 2011 in 2012 more Wallaby honours will come then.

Not really experimenting. He is a 12 test player.

Anyway, we are only talking 40 man squad, which is likely to have 6 props.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Six props: Robinson, Kepu, Slipper and Alexander are all definites you'd assume. Meaning Longbottom, Ma'afu, Holmes and Daley will probably fight it out for the other two spots?

T

tranquility

Six props: Robinson, Kepu, Slipper and Alexander are all definites you'd assume. Meaning Longbottom, Ma'afu, Holmes and Daley will probably fight it out for the other two spots?

If that is seriously the equation, then then Holmes and Daly will stroll in at a canter. I think Holmes is vying with Alexander for a WC spot in reality.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You'd like to think so but I don't know. Everybody throws out all these claims about the Wob squad this year but the reality is it will be almost exactly the same as last year.

The first 3 years of a WC cycle are for experimenting, the WC year is for getting the machine you've built running smoothly.

If a player like Holmes can back up his 2011 in 2012 more Wallaby honours will come then.

Re Holmes, given his previous test experience this don't really fits the bill. Complete greenhorns are a different kettle of fish.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
It was good test experience as well, including a huge win against the Poms. Why did he fade?

Injured his neck in late 2006, more injuries ruining his RWC 2007, knee surgery in 2008 leading to low fitness/form and subsequent benching throughout 2009, until finally climbing his way back up the rankings this season. Kudos to the bloke for fighting his way back into Test contention through sheer determination and guts.

T

tranquility

He will always be a favourite of mine because during all the tough years when blokes were delaying contract negotiations, Greg went on record as saying that QLD could come last for the next however many years and he would never look elsewhere. I don't think many blokes no matter the state would say that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just a belated and serendipitous question given the teams involved in this thread: Ali's Choice, profound Crusaders' fan and poster of thoughtful thoughts, where have you gone?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He also swapped from loose head to tight head. Took him a while to adjust.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
T

tranquility

Absolutely!! I think that is top draw..

I am actually halfway through my first viewing of 'Hud' (1963). I hope our blokes are half as stoic as that bloke.

R

RuckinGoodStats

I am amazed that the difference is only 2.4 errors between the top 6 teams.
Whats was a surprise is the Sharks, another team to make the top 6, are the worse for handling errors, 11.1 per game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's damned good seeing Holmes make so much of his opportunity. A smokey for a RWC squad position?

He would be a smokey for the 4th prop position in the final 30 man squad though he should get in the bigger squad before the cut.

The current consensus seems to be that Kepu, Robinson and Slipper are the premier prop Oz scrummagers. Kepu says he considers himself a THP now but like Slipper can play on both sides. The greatest need seems to be for a LHP but if Holmes can prove himself as a THP against the Crusaders it will stand him in good stead - which brings us back to the thread topic.

Not on topic:
Oz will take only 4 props to the RWC as they did last time. England, Wales, NZ, France, Ireland and Scotland also took 4 in 2007 but the teams than fancied scrummaging - the Boks and Argentina - took 5.

For folks who want to know: all those teams took 3 hookers, 3 or 4 locks and 5 or 6 backrowers. Most teams took 16 or 17 forwards (Oz 16) though Argentina had 18.

Those were the squad profiles of the main rugby countries prior to the RWC though there were would have been changes before the end of the tournament.

R

RuckinGoodStats

You call them handling errors, SBW calls them offloads :fishing
My less than subtle point is that if the Crusaders scrum is going to be a factor as the hype would like us to believe, you first have to have a scrum. The mostly likely cause of a scrum is a handling error. Reds make very few of these compared to all other teams, but have been making more than their average in the last couple of weeks.

T

TOCC

Good point about handling errors/scrum stats, I think we may see a fair bit of kicking in tmws game as both teams try and keep ball in each others half

Just a belated and serendipitous question given the teams involved in this thread: Ali's Choice, profound Crusaders' fan and poster of thoughtful thoughts, where have you gone?

He is on PR starting threads about QLD fans been arrogant

Status
Not open for further replies.