• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rd. 7. Rebels v Hurricanes at AAMI Park, Friday 30th @ 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Dave Wessels was on the foxsports podcast and spoke about their approach to the game. Recognises the many strike weapons at the Canes's disposal, but confidently pointed out that the Rebels have more than a few stars on their side. Expect the home team to attack and take it up to the Kiwis

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
HURRICANES (15-1): Jordie Barrett, Julian Savea, Vince Aso, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Gareth Evans, Sam Henwood, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Ben May, Ricky Riccitelli, Chris Eves
Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Fraser Armstrong, Jeff To’omaga-Allen, Michael Fatialofa, Reed Prinsep, Jamie Booth, Ihaia West, Wes Goosen

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never thought id say this, but think we have them in the forwards, the backs on the other hand there's an argument to be had that not one of ours would make it.

Think we might come away with a losing bonus point

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Uelese has to play even if its off the bench otherwise they might take advantage of the lack of hooking depth in the last 20mins.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
B.Lam: 6'4 & 105 kg's
J.Savea: 6'4 & 106 kg's
J.Barrett: 6'5 & 101 kg's

Collectively only 36 kg's lighter than their front row. Must be one of the bigger back three's going around. Conversely, a Milner-Skudder/Goosen/B.Barrett back three would weight in 74 kg's lighter than the front row.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
REBELS (15-1): Jack Maddocks, Tom English, Reece Hodge, Billy Meakes, Marika Koroibete, Jack Debreczeni, Will Genia, Amanaki Mafi, Angus Cottrell, Lopeti Timani, Adam Coleman (c), Matt Philip, Jermaine Ainsley, Anaru Rangi, Tetera Faulkner
Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Ben Daley, Sam Talakai, Ross Haylett-Petty, Colby Fainga’a, Richard Hardwick, Michael Ruru, Sefa Naivalu

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
English into the starting side with Naivalu on the bench. DHP unavailable again.

Uelese fit again and on the bench. Daley and Talakai the reserve props and a 6:2 split again.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Collectively only 36 kg's lighter than their front row. Must be one of the bigger back three's going around. Conversely, a Milner-Skudder/Goosen/B.Barrett back three would weight in 74 kg's lighter than the front row.

Always amuses me how we kiwis have adapted to the kilogram & kilometre but still can't quite get our heads around the centimetre (I've never seen anyone described as being 190cm & 16st 10, for example).

EDIT: just read a piece touting Lam as an AB bolter. First reaction was "yeah, right" but then I remembered thinking the same thing back in the day when some fast-but-(we all thought) lazy kid from Wainuiomata got touted as an AB bolter. Umaga, I think his name was :)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
English into the starting side with Naivalu on the bench. DHP unavailable again.

Uelese fit again and on the bench. Daley and Talakai the reserve props and a 6:2 split again.

An indication they think they can win the game in the forwards.

Couldn’t drop Rangi after his effort last week. Solid pack, but I probably would have started either Dickie or Colby.

Happy with that team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Both Colby and Hardwick have looked good every time they have played, I get why he’s not picking them but I don’t think it’s the right way to go. We will lack a link between forwards and backs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
REBELS (15-1): Jack Maddocks, Tom English, Reece Hodge, Billy Meakes, Marika Koroibete, Jack Debreczeni, Will Genia, Amanaki Mafi, Angus Cottrell, Lopeti Timani, Adam Coleman (c), Matt Philip, Jermaine Ainsley, Anaru Rangi, Tetera Faulkner

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Ben Daley, Sam Talakai, Ross Haylett-Petty, Colby Fainga’a, Richard Hardwick, Michael Ruru, Sefa Naivalu

What happened to Geoff Parling is he out injured or dropped from 23.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Jordie Barrett definitely doesn't play heavy like those other two. I'm quite surprised he's 101kg (he's actually about the same dimensions as Folau, maybe an inch taller), strikes me more as a spindly weaver whenever he carries the ball. I guess the main reason English has been moved to the wing in place of Naivalu is to defend against the big boppers.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I was hoping to see the 6:2 split, you're not going to beat the Canes in the backs, you have to beat them up front. With Ardie out, bringing Fainga'a and Hardwick on in the last 20 will be a real opportunity. Mobile back rowers and both excellent breakdown players. Hard for the Barretts, Aso, Savea etc if they don't get the ball.

The Rebs are up against it, but there is definitely a chance.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Going to be tough for the Rebels to win.

Plenty of Waratah, Brumby and Reds supporters will be barracking for our Kiwi brothers (whether they publicly admit it or not)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Barracking? No. Thinking that the 'Canes probably have this? Yes. Hopefully it's as pretty to watch as I hope it is.
Think the hurricanes have too much class in the halves for Genia to cover by himself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Let's be honest, the Hurricanes' backline could pretty much slip into the All Black 15 and expect to spank just about every other international team going around. Staggering talent from 9 -15.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cannot see the Rebels winning this but if they do then it will erase the lingering doubts I have about them. They were exposed against the fast paced game of the Tahs and the Canes will be all of that multiplied!

As others have said that backline is ridiculous for the Hurricanes.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Both Colby and Hardwick have looked good every time they have played, I get why he’s not picking them but I don’t think it’s the right way to go. We will lack a link between forwards and backs.

I don't get why he is not starting one of them as both offer far more and are simply better players than Cottrell.

Cottrell is solid but he does not provide the disruption to the breakdown or the link play and skill that Colby does and he does not have the impact with the ball that Dicky does.

I get the idea of them coming on against tired opposition and making an impact but do you need 2 of them for that role?

And if it's horses for courses, which Wessels used to explain the changes for the last game, I don't get why you'd start two bigger and slower flankers against a side that is going to be playing 100 miles an hour from the kick off

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Going to be tough for the Rebels to win.

Plenty of Waratah, Brumby and Reds supporters will be barracking for our Kiwi brothers (whether they publicly admit it or not)

Why the fuck would anyone want a kiwi team to beat an aussie team?

Anyway, Rebels will struggle but fuck me is their bench strong. That's pretty key against a kiwi team. I don't quite get why Hardwick can't get a start. He's ace. How good though; Mafi gets a bit knackered and you bring on Hardwick and Colby.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rebels will have to look to control it in the forwards for their best chance of winning. For how good the Hurricanes backline is they don’t have a single All Black in their starting forward pack save Fifita who can be a bit hot and cold. Certainly not going to rule out the Rebels just yet given the quality of their pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.