• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rd. 7. Rebels v Hurricanes at AAMI Park, Friday 30th @ 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I think the Rebels have a very good squad. But they are struggling to make it a team. Plus, shipping 50 points in 2 of the last 3 matches with 41 and 42 points in the second half each time raises big concerns about fitness.
Whereas a team like the Reds looks like just that - a more cohesive team, albeit with some rough edges.
I'm not 100% sure where the Tahs and Brumbies sit on that spectrum just yet! ;)

I'm not sure I'd go with fitness. I think it is more mindset. Once things go against them, they fall apart and don't have the team belief and strength to pull it back together. As yet ... this is only game 5 as a team so hopefully it is something they can develop through the season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd go with fitness. I think it is more mindset. Once things go against them, they fall apart and don't have the team belief and strength to pull it back together. As yet . this is only game 5 as a team so hopefully it is something they can develop through the season.

I'm just basing that on watching them at Allianz the other week. Sure, it was crazy hot, but they looked absolutely gassed after half time. Sure, mitigating circumstances, but that's how they looked. It's amazing how structure goes to shit if conditioning fails. I'm not sure we can dismiss fitness issues completely, but it is obviously a complex set of factors.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels issues lie somewhere between the captaincy/leadership group and coach. that squad is first rate and should be able to beat anyone

Rebels switch off for periods and let the other team back into the game, happened against he Waratahs and almost happened against the Sharks last week int he 20-40min mark of the game.

I've heard today (from one of my anonymous sources scattered across the continent ;)) that there is some serious in-fighting/cultural issues/ blah blah mainly stemming from the takeover by the Rebels and player selection emanating therefrom.

In other words, they are not a cohesive unit. Suppose we'll see what transpires, moving forward.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
I've heard today (from one of my anonymous sources scattered across the continent ;)) that there is some serious in-fighting/cultural issues/ blah blah mainly stemming from the takeover by the Rebels and player selection emanating therefrom.

In other words, they are not a cohesive unit. Suppose we'll see what transpires, moving forward.
Definitely heard that as well through some close sources. You just have to look at last nights side and tbh Coleman is not a captain! He’s looked after his Force players hasn’t he.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^^ I've heard the opposite actually and ive watched training quite a lot and despite the fully opposed stuff ive not seen any niggle. They all look pretty chummy to me. Genias doing the onfield decisions along with JD. I agree Coleman has been underwhelming.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
The game changes when Jack Deb doesn’t take the catch and Lam picks up the scraps to score with 6mins before halftime. If you watch the exit strategy from the Hurricanes prior to that, they kicked down the line to Mafi or out for a line out. 30 minutes in they adapt and show a different picture. Who makes that call? Beauden Barrett (possibly the coach as well from above).

IMO, this is what’s hurting not only Australian Rugby but the Rebels at the moment. They stick to the game plan but then don’t play what’s infront. Rebels are a flat track bully team, if you muscle up defensively the really don’t have a plan B or at least don’t adapt to the pictures in front of them. That comes down to not only the halves but the 12 & 15.

How many times do you see a stats sheet at the end of the game and see a winger in any of the Kiwi franchises have 0 runs. The two Rebels losses have shown them to be very one dimensional in those games, they really need to keep adding to their arsenal.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
At the game, it was obvious that the Canes picked up the pace and the intensity when the Rebels got out to 19 - 8. everything they did after that was faster. the main difference i can see between NZ sides, at all levels and the rest of the world, are their ability to choose the correct option and then execute it. Give BB that kick off to JD/MK another 50 times and i suspect it would cause the same confusion because of the accuracy almost every kick. Compare that to the JD chip out of defence at the end, good thought, but not as well executed and Maddox almost, but didn't get to it, the same as the one earlier in the game, (c/w the QC (Quade Cooper) and Hunt one last year). the NZ players think faster, and have the skill set to execute the play. i agree it is worrying the Rebels cant seem to find a way to halt the momentum, (in the good old days you'd just start a brawl :) ); they had opportunities even when down 31- 19 and 38 - 19, on both occasions they turned over attacking situations by a loose pass and giving away penalties.
as an aside in my opinion their biggest issue is the defensive pattern of leaving wide spaces on the flanks and relying on the cover to get the last man. it was exploited by the Tahs and ruthlessly by the Canes, even the Brums made a lot of easy metres.
plenty to work on. nothing that cant be rectified. but all up the two big second half capitulations don't augur well at this stage.

T

TOCC

I think the Rebels have a very good squad. But they are struggling to make it a team. Plus, shipping 50 points in 2 of the last 3 matches with 41 and 42 points in the second half each time raises big concerns about fitness.
Whereas a team like the Reds looks like just that - a more cohesive team, albeit with some rough edges.
I'm not 100% sure where the Tahs and Brumbies sit on that spectrum just yet! ;)

That’s a better way of putting... the Rebels also have periods were they play like a very good team, they just aren’t doing it consistently for 80mins, they seem to lose all structure and intent for periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The most concerning thing for me is the PA which has blown out to 161. On the one hand, our PF is very good, but that alone won't win games.
It is disturbing to hear rumours that the boys are not jelling, but when things go wrong, it often becomes a case of playing the blame game which is divisive and hopefully Wessels can get on top of that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
I think Wessels is the problem as perceived by SOME of the old Rebels players. They seem to think that the ex Force players are benefiting from the employment of the ex Force Coach and other staff. Some might argue - sour grapes.

Fact is, they are ATM heading the Conference ( and I think, the ladder) so being an outsider it would be unfair to validly criticise the bloke.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^
I think Wessels is the problem as perceived by SOME of the old Rebels players. They seem to think that the ex Force players are benefiting from the employment of the ex Force Coach and other staff. Some might argue - sour grapes.

Fact is, they are ATM heading the Conference ( and I think, the ladder) so being an outsider it would be unfair to validly criticise the bloke.

Most teams have already had two losses, which speaks to the competitive nature of this competition. Most years the table-topping team will only lose twice all year. Rebels do top the table but are likely to lose that as this is their bye week.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Most teams have already had two losses, which speaks to the competitive nature of this competition. Most years the table-topping team will only lose twice all year. Rebels do top the table but are likely to lose that as this is their bye week.
Almost certainly.

Both the Canes and the Chiefs have only played five games and both would be a good chance of picking up five points this week against the Shorks and the Blues.

The Lions have already played seven but should beat the Stormers this week and the Cru should beat the Jags.

I reckon the Rebels will be down to 5th by next Sunday and might be just one point ahead of your stinkin' Tahs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Almost certainly.

Both the Canes and the Chiefs have only played five games and both would be a good chance of picking up five points this week against the Shorks and the Blues.

The Lions have already played seven but should beat the Stormers this week and the Cru should beat the Jags.

I reckon the Rebels will be down to 5th by next Sunday and might be just one point ahead of your stinkin' Tahs.

Did you see the Blues-Sharks game? There are no should wins in this competition. The Bulls beat the Hurricanes, the Sunwolves nearly beat the Lions, the Jaguares beat the Waratahs and the Lions, but no one else. Using form as a guide in a tipping competition will probably get you in the bottom 10%. A oujia board or a random number generator would be better than form.

Yes, we should beat the Sunnies even without Folau, get a bonus point and for and against to go top of the conference; I'm bracing myself for a bad result though, another one is due soon. The Sharks paid for the Rebels loss to the Tahs, the bye is scheduled for a world of hurt this week.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^^ six points between Rebs & 'tahs (20:14) so even with a BP Rebs stay top of Conference.

Superbru has it at 15, but they record the Tahs as getting a BP for tries and I don't think that's correct. So, my error, Rebels will remain top after round 8.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Did you see the Blues-Sharks game? There are no should wins in this competition. The Bulls beat the Hurricanes, the Sunwolves nearly beat the Lions, the Jaguares beat the Waratahs and the Lions, but no one else. Using form as a guide in a tipping competition will probably get you in the bottom 10%. A oujia board or a random number generator would be better than form.

Yes, we should beat the Sunnies even without Folau, get a bonus point and for and against to go top of the conference; I'm bracing myself for a bad result though, another one is due soon. The Sharks paid for the Rebels loss to the Tahs, the bye is scheduled for a world of hurt this week.
Yes but, "should" does not equal "will". ;)

You're right though, just about any team can knock off any other on their day. The Sunwolves are capable of causing a big upset next week and just as capable of leaking 60-70 points.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Superbru has it at 15, but they record the Tahs as getting a BP for tries and I don't think that's correct. So, my error, Rebels will remain top after round 8.

I'm going off sanzaarrugby.com which has 'tahs scoring two tries to Brums one with the teams now on 14 & 20, respectively. That gibes with my recollection of 'tahs being on 10 going into the Round.

Status
Not open for further replies.