• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rd. 7. Rebels v Hurricanes at AAMI Park, Friday 30th @ 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry but that was an absolute disgraceful peformance by the rebels in the second half and with the quality of that roster an embarassment. This was an opportunity to build greater support in terms of a fan base but they won’t continue to even get the sort of crowds they got last night with that sort of rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where I said it was a good performance but I guess we should keep with the theme that everything and anything is horrendous in Australian rugby. The rebels didn’t cover themselves in glory but credit where credit is due the hurricanes were at the end of the day just that good sometimes you just have to accept that.

Reactions: TSR

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apart from Mafi that starting backrow has to go. Timani in particular was useless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep was invisible out there. Hardwick or Fainga'a need to come into 7. Then Cottrell or Timani need to go, I actually don’t think either are offering more the RHP does. Could of really used the experience of Parling as well. Also as I stated earlier not sure if the front row can continue, neither really offering much around the park or at set piece so I’d go big sam to sure up the scrum at least

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mafi was great, Timani a liability.

Rebels bubble well and truly burst wide open.

They are terrific and play with intensity for 20 - 30 minutes and
then drop off. They seem to be great when everything is going well, but have
little resilience when the play goes against them.

Easy to be critical of some big name players who just didn't man up.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mafi was great but did the hurricanes played him out of the game by kicking to him constantly? Almost like they knew he was going to run out of steam. Real shame about the final score. Maybe it is just me but it felt that the game was much closer. J D had to catch that ball don’t let it bounce!!!

The rebels had the game plan in place but once they game started to get away from them there was no plan B much like the rest of Aus teams. I always though that Timani was useless (and his brother) massive players with lots of potential but they just seem lazy, I know it is easy to be critical from the comfort of my couch but come you should be smashing blokes. Maybe he is playing in the wrong position?

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It seems to me that when the Rebels keep it going they can hold their belief, but if you can put a couple of quick tries on them the heads start to drop. Also discipline was poor, at one point three penalties in a row marched the Canes up the entire length of the field. But gee that Canes side are good right across the park. Big, fast hard runners are a great weapon (read Lam, Laumape).

Individually, some of the Rebels big names need to step up. Genia and Mafi have been good, but they need a lot more from Coleman, Hodge and Koribete. Also, I don't think the three big boppers in the back row is working, Timani is offering very little, need to move Cottrell to 6 and start either Hardwick or Faainga. Maddocks got found out a bit today, but I think he's a quality player, with luck will learn from that.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Roll our eyes and say 'maybe we'll beat a kiwi team next year'.

Despite the Rebels being top of the table I actually think a team like the Tahs or Reds has more chance of beating a Kiwi team than the Rebels. The Rebels don't really seem to have the mental capability to do it and despite having a lot of Wallabies apart from Genia they are mostly post 2015 World Cup players like Hodge who have experienced almost 0 success against New Zealand sides.

Thorn's men don't have the flashiness of the Rebels but they seem to have the belief in themselves to pull off a win. For the Waratahs Folau, Hooper, Beale, and Kepu have all beaten kiwi sides before (including wins in NZ a few years ago) and have the class to match it with the kiwis.

T

TOCC

Rebels issues lie somewhere between the captaincy/leadership group and coach... that squad is first rate and should be able to beat anyone

Rebels switch off for periods and let the other team back into the game, happened against he Waratahs and almost happened against the Sharks last week int he 20-40min mark of the game.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels issues lie somewhere between the captaincy/leadership group and coach. that squad is first rate and should be able to beat anyone

Rebels switch off for periods and let the other team back into the game, happened against he Waratahs and almost happened against the Sharks last week int he 20-40min mark of the game.

Can please explain this further? So the Force last year which are now the core and in reality the forwards for the Rebels were ok at best last year. The Rebels from last year were poor. They had no intention of retaining Jack Deb and there were not any others that stood out bar the odd cameo; Mafi being the exception. Adding in Genia, how does that produce a first rate squad instantly?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Getting blown away after an initial salvo (from late in the first half against both the Tahs and Canes) must be a huge concern for the Rebels. If it's fitness, well, they're fucked, recovering fitness is damned near impossible once a season starts. If it's mental, difficult but not impossible. If it's selection the brains trust need to have a good, long look at themselves. Personally, I think it's a combination of all three.

A massive challenge for Wessels, Barakat et al.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can please explain this further? So the Force last year which are now the core and in reality the forwards for the Rebels were ok at best last year. The Rebels from last year were poor. They had no intention of retaining Jack Deb and there were not any others that stood out bar the odd cameo; Mafi being the exception. Adding in Genia, how does that produce a first rate squad instantly?
Because they've added a bunch of Wallabies and other good players just outside that like Ainsley.

The Rebels had decent star power particularly in the backs and Mafi and have now added Genia as well. They were pretty weak in a few positions which has now been substantially bolstered.

The reality in Super Rugby is that there are no terrible squads and the difference between a team who don't have the cattle to compete with the best teams and one that does is only a few players.

Any way you look at it the Rebels have the best Australian squad and are strong enough across the park to challenge any team in the comp.

The last 50 minutes last night was not a case of a team of plucky but underskilled players trying their best but not being up to it now matter how well they played.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Rebels have been having periods where they completely switch off ever since DHP went down against the Waratahs. Obviously the problem's a lot bigger than just losing DHP but the backline has looked all at sea a few times since his departure. Last week against the Sharks it was throwing a spate of ridiculous cut out passes when the ball needed to go through the hands. This week they got caught out of position defensively a number of times that cost them at least two tries, one when no one claimed the cross field kick that Lam eventually caught and went on to score and another time when Hurricanes put a grubber through near the try line which led to Maddocks getting turnedover just outside the goal line.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We did not start watching until the second half. I have to say that I did not notice anything positive from the Rebels at all. They were just outgunned and outplayed. Filled me with dread, frankly. It appears that the gap is not closing, the gap is widening between us and the Kiwis.

The early game as also awe-inspiring, frankly. Geez, I hope I am wrong, and our teams manage to lift their games.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
A digression here but I think people tend to wax too lyrical about the NZ derby games when critiquing Aussie play. Plenty of mistakes in that earlier game including some key turnovers at the end which cost the Highlanders.

Rebels are still a very inexperienced side and try to play up tempo but lose the plot when counter attacked effectively, which is bound to happen if you throw it around in broken play attack and the ball goes loose. First 30 was obviously impressive, just have to find a way to sustain it.

Some punters being a bit too hard on Maddocks. He is a very impressive talent but needs time and is entitled to the odd shocker. I wouldn’t be letting him near the Wallabies just yet, let him find his feet properly at this level. Talent management and patient development, another thing the Kiwi’s do better.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just watched the highlights.

Some of the defence in the backline (including some forwards in the line) was appalling

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
New plan to beat a kiwi team.
Rebels to play the first half.
Tahs to play second half.
But somehow both teams to pick up the starch the reds have this year.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Because they've added a bunch of Wallabies and other good players just outside that like Ainsley.

The Rebels had decent star power particularly in the backs and Mafi and have now added Genia as well. They were pretty weak in a few positions which has now been substantially bolstered.

The reality in Super Rugby is that there are no terrible squads and the difference between a team who don't have the cattle to compete with the best teams and one that does is only a few players.

Any way you look at it the Rebels have the best Australian squad and are strong enough across the park to challenge any team in the comp.

The last 50 minutes last night was not a case of a team of plucky but underskilled players trying their best but not being up to it now matter how well they played.

I think the Rebels have a very good squad. But they are struggling to make it a team. Plus, shipping 50 points in 2 of the last 3 matches with 41 and 42 points in the second half each time raises big concerns about fitness.
Whereas a team like the Reds looks like just that - a more cohesive team, albeit with some rough edges.
I'm not 100% sure where the Tahs and Brumbies sit on that spectrum just yet! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.