• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Pacific 2025

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Actually pretty pumped for next year's Super season. With the death of the Rebels the quality and depth of the Aussie teams looks, on paper, to be the best we've seen in years. It has long been suggested that reducing the number of super side (and thereby increasing the quality and depth of the remaining sides) would improve our performance at the international level. I definitely subscribe to that theory so I'm excited for what 2025 will bring.

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually pretty pumped for next year's Super season. With the death of the Rebels the quality and depth of the Aussie teams looks, on paper, to be the best we've seen in years. It has long been suggested that reducing the number of super side (and thereby increasing the quality and depth of the remaining sides) would improve our performance at the international level. I definitely subscribe to that theory so I'm excited for what 2025 will bring.

Yes, let's can the Brumbies and Force, then Aussie Rugby will be take over the world!!!!!!!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BDA, the Brumbies have had a net loss in numbers of players and in quality in the current 2025 roster. Six players departed and only two from outside currently recruited - the quality of Swain, Tua and Brown has not been replaced.

Even so, I expect they will probably still top the Aussie side of the competition but will be less competitive with the NZ sides unless they (Blues and Chiefs particularly) have also suffered losses they can't replace. I'm not so sure that Super Rugby 2025 will offer us more hope than we've had over the past few years.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not to be a negative nelly but... this consolidation of talent produced fuck all improvement for the Rebels when the Force were cut. I remain skeptical.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting tidbit from the story about O'Connor potentially heading to the Crusaders, we should see the squads named at the end of the month (a week or two earlier than last years November 9th squad announcements):
A Crusaders spokesperson says they’ve been talking to O’Connor but couldn’t provide any further comment. The 11 Super Rugby squads are expected to be publicly announced in full at the end of October

Really good to see they're keeping the squad naming event, I thought it was great last year. Might actually feed into (or off of) the interest in the EOYT a bit this time too.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like the same argument when the force got cut. We need to provide more professional opportunities to grow the game and the depth not less. Soon there will be 18 Aussie NRL sides to 4 Super sides the struggle will just get worse

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it will take at least 2 seasons until the elimination of the Rebels takes proper effect but when you look at who the Tahs have on the books, hopefully the turn around comes sooner.

Quality and depth in the player base doesn't just happen because you have Super Rugby squads to fill out - the last 10-odd years has proven that. Competition is what makes players better and like you - I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few years in Super Rugby.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pretty disappointing how they handled it. You knew when they shut down the men’s they would cut them. Why for all the people involved drag it out so much longer?
Apparently the VRU was pretty hopeful for a $1m grant from Vic Government which would have made the team possible, but in the end it wasn't forthcoming

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it will take at least 2 seasons until the elimination of the Rebels takes proper effect but when you look at who the Tahs have on the books, hopefully the turn around comes sooner.

Quality and depth in the player base doesn't just happen because you have Super Rugby squads to fill out - the last 10-odd years has proven that. Competition is what makes players better and like you - I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few years in Super Rugby.
The issue with the squads going forward is that next years some teams have been improved with players moving with existing contracts. When a lot of these Rebels contracts expire we will see a lot of them move to other opportunities off shore. So we will be back to the same level squads as what we have seen. Gone are the days when good super rugby level players are happy to be squad players when there is opportunities to play regularly overseas and also earn more. If you take the opportunity away from them, they won’t stay in a losing environment to hold tackle bags and wait their time when they could play regularly and earn more somewhere else. It’s all going to end in tears in a couple of years.

From memory I think Kellaway is the only notable player that’s actually signed a new contract and isn’t still on his existing contract due to expire.

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
The issue with the squads going forward is that next years some teams have been improved with players moving with existing contracts. When a lot of these Rebels contracts expire we will see a lot of them move to other opportunities off shore. So we will be back to the same level squads as what we have seen. Gone are the days when good super rugby level players are happy to be squad players when there is opportunities to play regularly overseas and also earn more. If you take the opportunity away from them, they won’t stay in a losing environment to hold tackle bags and wait their time when they could play regularly and earn more somewhere else. It’s all going to end in tears in a couple of years.

From memory I think Kellaway is the only notable player that’s actually signed a new contract and isn’t still on his existing contract due to expire.
And Canham.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I'd say the bigger issue is the salary cap; players are happy for squad roles if they're getting paid decent money, but they just don't get that in Australia. Who knows what allowances were made, but it sounds like there were salary cap provisions/offsets were made for Rebels players with contracts moved to other clubs. Once these existing contracts expire, that allowance won't be extended, and the overall $$ on offer for players in 2026/2027 will reduce, meaning players will head overseas.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I'd say the bigger issue is the salary cap; players are happy for squad roles if they're getting paid decent money, but they just don't get that in Australia. Who knows what allowances were made, but it sounds like there were salary cap provisions/offsets were made for Rebels players with contracts moved to other clubs. Once these existing contracts expire, that allowance won't be extended, and the overall $$ on offer for players in 2026/2027 will reduce, meaning players will head overseas.
will it? You'd assume by the eagerness that the Rebels were cut with that there'll be a lot of money saved, why can't the players' salaries go up?

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of conjecture here.

The reality is that there simply isn't the quality and depth in player base here to support 5 professional teams. It is not as if every player and coach in Australia could just go overseas and make more money. There are any number of guys who would either make less overseas or would not be able to pick up a contract at all.

Will the overall dollars for players reduce? Isn't there a new broadcast deal happening around the same time? And there will be less players to pay with the Rebels gone.

And most importantly, improving the on-field results is the main goal.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
will it? You'd assume by the eagerness that the Rebels were cut with that there'll be a lot of money saved, why can't the players' salaries go up?

I don't particularly want to revisit this topic. However, RA is posting annual losses greater than the individual Super Rugby distributions. The 'money saved' from a reduction in Super Rugby teams will only offset RA operating losses; it's not a profit to increase wages. RA has RUPA obligations to pay a certain % of revenue to the players, which will be met even with reduced teams.

Only chance of players wages going up in 2026 is a new broadcast agreement with more $$

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is that there simply isn't the quality and depth in player base here to support 5 professional teams. It is not as if every player and coach in Australia could just go overseas and make more money. There are any number of guys who would either make less overseas or would not be able to pick up a contract at all.

I think it is more that there isn't enough money to support 5 professional teams at a sufficient level of quality.

You are correct that there are a number of guys who wouldn't be able to make more money overseas (or potentially get a contract at all). If you had more money to pay your squad you simply wouldn't sign those players.

The biggest challenge is threading the needle in terms of having a salary expenditure that can maintain teams of sufficient quality but likewise doesn't cause RA and the Super Rugby teams to go broke.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
100% this, so there maybe a short term sugar hit but it will do nothing to help the game here in terms of depth or performance