• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Pacific 2025

zer0

John Thornett (49)
"The first weekend will see three qualifying finals - 1 v 6, 2 v 5 and 3 v 4 - but with only three winners, a fourth team to fill out the semi-finals has to be found. That spot will be claimed by a “lucky loser” - the highest-seeded team to lose in the qualifying finals.

How a finals weekend will be scheduled remains to be seen but if the 3v 4 qualifying final is the last one played, it could open a can of worms for organisers. Based on the historical results in most finals series, there is a strong chance the 3 v 4 qualifier final would be inconsequential, with both teams progressing regardless of the result. Theoretically, the 3rd and 4th-seeded teams could even choose to rest players to be fresh for the semi-finals.
"

Absolutely lame af. What's wrong with giving top two qualifiers a week off while 3-6 play their elimination matches, with the lowest ranked winner proceeding to Eden Pa... sorry top qualifier?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t mind that…

There’s not enough teams for a top 8, but I much prefer the AFL and NRL model of the losers within the top 4 getting a second chance in the finals.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"The first weekend will see three qualifying finals - 1 v 6, 2 v 5 and 3 v 4 - but with only three winners, a fourth team to fill out the semi-finals has to be found. That spot will be claimed by a “lucky loser” - the highest-seeded team to lose in the qualifying finals.

How a finals weekend will be scheduled remains to be seen but if the 3v 4 qualifying final is the last one played, it could open a can of worms for organisers. Based on the historical results in most finals series, there is a strong chance the 3 v 4 qualifier final would be inconsequential, with both teams progressing regardless of the result. Theoretically, the 3rd and 4th-seeded teams could even choose to rest players to be fresh for the semi-finals.
"

Absolutely lame af. What's wrong with giving top two qualifiers a week off while 3-6 play their elimination matches, with the lowest ranked winner proceeding to Eden Pa... sorry top qualifier?
Finals are the big money spinner for most clubs and the broadcast deals, one less final played hurts that, and actually hurts the top 2 teams more as they get on less chance to host a final and make money off of the gate.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It'll be interesting to see how the extra rivalry games shake out, I imagine all the Australian teams will play each other twice, but the 4th side won't just be the Drua for all of them, with the Drua's most important rivalry game being Moana.

If I was picking based on the recent seasons it'd be Reds v Chiefs, tahs v Crusaders, Brumbies v Blues (or maybe the Hurricanes) and Force v Moana (or maybe the Highlanders) for those extras. There are definitely other options but they feel like the spiciest cross border clashes we've seen recently.

So maybe something like this for the full comp:

Reds: tahs, Force, Brumbies, Chiefs
tahs: Reds, Force, Brumbies, Crusaders
Force: Reds, tahs, Brumbies, Moana
Brumbies: Reds, tahs, Force, Blues
Drua: Moana, Blues, Crusaders, Hurricanes
Moana: Drua, Force, Highlanders, Hurricanes
Chiefs: Reds, Crusaders, Blues, Highlanders
Crusaders: tahs, Drua, Highlanders, Chiefs
Blues: Brumbies, Drua, Hurricanes, Chiefs
Hurricanes: Blues, Moana, Highlanders, Drua
Highlanders: Moana, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Chiefs

May not matter too much given it'll shift a bit year on year and I'm not certain with the kiwi selections where it's in NZ rivalries have to be excluded, but some of them feel like no-brainers for next year - particularly having two Moana v Hurricanes clashes with Ardie making the jump

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don’t mind that…

There’s not enough teams for a top 8, but I much prefer the AFL and NRL model of the losers within the top 4 getting a second chance in the finals.
I agree. The finals were a joke as they stood. First round was a waste of time and results showed that.

The comp really only has 4 sides that can even compete with each other each year.

Fans won't engage regardless of amount when we play so many meaningless games and can make it with a losing record. Needs to be pressure to create buy in. Seen this in other comps like the big bash that went away from pressure and is now trying to bring it back.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It'll be interesting to see how the extra rivalry games shake out, I imagine all the Australian teams will play each other twice, but the 4th side won't just be the Drua for all of them, with the Drua's most important rivalry game being Moana.

If I was picking based on the recent seasons it'd be Reds v Chiefs, tahs v Crusaders, Brumbies v Blues (or maybe the Hurricanes) and Force v Moana (or maybe the Highlanders) for those extras. There are definitely other options but they feel like the spiciest cross border clashes we've seen recently.

So maybe something like this for the full comp:

Reds: tahs, Force, Brumbies, Chiefs
tahs: Reds, Force, Brumbies, Crusaders
Force: Reds, tahs, Brumbies, Moana
Brumbies: Reds, tahs, Force, Blues
Drua: Moana, Blues, Crusaders, Hurricanes
Moana: Drua, Force, Highlanders, Hurricanes
Chiefs: Reds, Crusaders, Blues, Highlanders
Crusaders: tahs, Drua, Highlanders, Chiefs
Blues: Brumbies, Drua, Hurricanes, Chiefs
Hurricanes: Blues, Moana, Highlanders, Drua
Highlanders: Moana, Crusaders, Hurricanes, Chiefs

May not matter too much given it'll shift a bit year on year and I'm not certain with the kiwi selections where it's in NZ rivalries have to be excluded, but some of them feel like no-brainers for next year - particularly having two Moana v Hurricanes clashes with Ardie making the jump
Caines v Brums for ANZAC Day

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wish with the 11 team comp that we could have gone with two full home and away rounds. Fourteen games still doesn't seem to be enough.
I'm guessing the option for next year was minimal change while we're within the existing broadcast agreement and there's a Lions schedule already set in stone. Hopefully they'll explore full home and away or more interesting options going forward.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
With world rugby nations championship in July and those SA v NZ tours, I just can't see NZ ever agreeing to play Super Rugby beyond last week of June.

So it's just a matter of how early you want the season to start after that.

Mid-Feb start and 3 weeks of finals gives you approx 17 weeks. Add in some byes for load management.....there just isn't enough time for full home and away

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
disVSmQ.jpg

Rhino_rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Tahs top 3 in super rugby???
Post team lineup and ladder predictions here
Predicted Waratahs Team

1. Angus Bell
2. Dave Porecki
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Hugh Sinclair
5 Miles Amatosero
6. Rob Leota
7. Charlie Gamble
8. Langi Gleeson
9. Jake Gordon (C)
10. Tane Edmed ( not sure if he will return though he hinted at end of season he may move on)
11. Darby Lancaster
12. Lalakai Forketi
13. Joseph Sua'ali'i (If he comes to waratahs)
14. Andrew Kellaway or Dylan Pietsch
15. Max Jorgeson

16. Julian Heaven
17. Isaac Kailea
18. Hayden Thomas-Stinger
19. Ned Slacksmith ?
20. Fergus Lee Warner
21. Teddy Wilson
22. Then who ever isn't picked at 14 as a utility
23. Joey Walton
That’s a strong lineup prediction! If the Tahs can field a team like this, they’ve got a shot at pushing for the top 3. The front row with Bell, Porecki, and Tupou is a solid foundation, and the second-row pairing of Sinclair and Amatosero could provide good physicality. The back row looks balanced too—Gleeson has been a standout, and Charlie Gamble is a workhorse.

The backs could be electric with Edmed at 10 (if he stays) and Sua'ali’i at 13—if he comes over from the league. Kellaway or Pietsch on the wing gives a lot of attacking options, and Jorgensen at fullback is always exciting.

As for the top 3, it’s ambitious, but if they stay healthy and gel as a unit, it’s possible. Teams like the Crusaders and Chiefs are always tough to beat, but the Tahs have the potential to shake things up.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That’s a strong lineup prediction! If the Tahs can field a team like this, they’ve got a shot at pushing for the top 3. The front row with Bell, Porecki, and Tupou is a solid foundation, and the second-row pairing of Sinclair and Amatosero could provide good physicality. The back row looks balanced too—Gleeson has been a standout, and Charlie Gamble is a workhorse.

The backs could be electric with Edmed at 10 (if he stays) and Sua'ali’i at 13—if he comes over from the league. Kellaway or Pietsch on the wing gives a lot of attacking options, and Jorgensen at fullback is always exciting.

As for the top 3, it’s ambitious, but if they stay healthy and gel as a unit, it’s possible. Teams like the Crusaders and Chiefs are always tough to beat, but the Tahs have the potential to shake things up.
Ah, us Tahs fans never change. Preseason barely kicked off and we've got sights set on a top three finish.
How quickly will our optimism drop after round 2 lol

Rhino_rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Ah, us Tahs fans never change. Preseason barely kicked off and we've got sights set on a top three finish.
How quickly will our optimism drop after round 2 lol
Haha, classic Tahs fans! The preseason optimism is part of the tradition at this point. We always start dreaming big, and by round 2, reality often hits hard. But hey, you never know—maybe this year we'll have a reason to keep that optimism going a little longer. Until then, let's enjoy the hope while it lasts!

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)

Waratahs Pre-Season champions since 1996