• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They could lengthen the season and just not have a finals series as well. The top team pretty much always wins anyway.

I dont like it. I never got the Football in England, though even there they have a cup competition (or two) as well.

In my mind to claim to be a season champion the season needs to aim bringing together the top two teams and then fight it out. Knock out is fundamental to football codes in my mind.

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)
I dont like it. I never got the Football in England, though even there they have a cup competition (or two) as well.

In my mind to claim to be a season champion the season needs to aim bringing together the top two teams and then fight it out. Knock out is fundamental to football codes in my mind.
When there are (Football in England) 24 teams (46 games) you don't need a playoff system for Premier League - the reward for the winner is consistency and not a potential random / one-off playoff system. As you rightly say, that is what the two domestic Cup competitions are for.

The bottom teams can't give up either as they are trying to avoid relegation (where there is a playoff system).

Imagine Rugby trying to play 46 games in a season!! Footballers play internationals and European Competitions also.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Most people in England consider the league to be the pinnacle and the cups a bonus that are more accessible to lesser teams (or used to be). Maybe the Champions League would be considered a greater honour but I think even then it's very much dependent on who you ask.

It works well and they still have massive games between the main contenders. But then again, they have 38 games a year.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

You can easily incorporate both.

Have a "minor premiership" like they do in the NRL and go into a 3 week finals comp for the top 6 with 1 & 2 getting a bye week before going into the Semis.

There's so many different ways to improve Super Rugby but the powers to be seem to be content with doing the bare minimum.

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)
You can easily incorporate both.

Have a "minor premiership" like they do in the NRL and go into a 3 week finals comp for the top 6 with 1 & 2 getting a bye week before going into the Semis.

There's so many different ways to improve Super Rugby but the powers to be seem to be content with doing the bare minimum.
Is there any prize money for Super Rugby? Or is it just for the glory? I tried to find on google search, without any luck.

The European Competitions all have prize money - as far as I could find on google.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rugby is one of the most statistically predictable sports and has the fewest upsets. Super Rugby definitely suffers for it.
I don't really see rugby as anymore predictable than many other sports. Generally any sport team with good coaching/administration (so pathways etc) will do bloody well. There is a reason in general the same teams win Soccer comps in England and Europe etc. They are clubs who have good pathways etc etc. There will always be upsets etc, and odd teams come through in most sports, but in general there are predictable higher ranked teams year in and year out in lots od sports.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really see rugby as anymore predictable than many other sports. Generally any sport team with good coaching/administration (so pathways etc) will do bloody well. There is a reason in general the same teams win Soccer comps in England and Europe etc. They are clubs who have good pathways etc etc. There will always be upsets etc, and odd teams come through in most sports, but in general there are predictable higher ranked teams year in and year out in lots od sports.
Soccer is equally predictable over a season but I think there is greater chance for individual upsets.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Soccer is equally predictable over a season but I think there is greater chance for individual upsets.
Yep maybe mate, but just because there are more games. I think we had enough upsets in super this year for anyone really. That would include most Tahs, MP (Moana Pasifika) and Force wins would of been considered upsets on form etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep and why the idea of a Ranfurly shield type thing would be good , and throw in a knockout comp (FA cup style) thing in during season. And have super as first past the post!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If anything I think the Football in England far, far more predictable. You don't have to be far into the season before there are clubs with no shot. In deed the promotion teams likely never gain that status. Well before the final game, many season already know the answer, and very common the only thing more broad than knowing then answer is it being down to just a couple of teams.

I'll stick to my start, a football code should be won by a team that beats the palpably next best in a final.

The interest at the end of the football season swaps to who will make Champions Cup (or whatever it is called) and for the top half of the comp, a series of "almost" Cup comps with European exposure.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
If anything I think the Football in England far, far more predictable. You don't have to be far into the season before there are clubs with no shot. In deed the promotion teams likely never gain that status. Well before the final game, many season already know the answer, and very common the only thing more broad than knowing then answer is it being down to just a couple of teams.

I'll stick to my start, a football code should be won by a team that beats the palpably next best in a final.

The interest at the end of the football season swaps to who will make Champions Cup (or whatever it is called) and for the top half of the comp, a series of "almost" Cup comps with European exposure.
Stats say otherwise for predicting results

Top 4 win percentage for Prem League

74%
74%
63%
53%

top 4 win percentage for Super Rugby

86%
86%
86%
64%

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
NPC is the answer, Super Rugby is dead. Add the 4 Aussie Super Rugby sides into the NPC

NPC isn’t financially viable either, diluting the product further whilst maintaining significant overheads with no uplift on broadcast value is a recipe for financial disaster worse than the current model. Only way this idea would work is if the game reverts to semi-amateur, but I fail to see how that addresses the grassroots and pathway issues for young talent, the stream of talented rugby players to NRL will become a torrent.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NPC isn't even an option. It's will do us kiwis just as it is. But not viable anyway in so many ways, cost being the biggest of course.