• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Discussion surrounding the 4 NZ team crowd averages needs to mention some caveats. Mainly that rugby and cricket grounds should never be joined together. It makes seats further away from the field which detracts from overall atmosphere. Overall, crowd sizes in NZ are manageable without being superb and are considerably better on a per-capita basis when taking into account how many people live in Dunedin and Hamilton.
I agree up to a point on cricket grounds etc mate, but I do at times think thats as much to do with players as much as anything, on how close crowd is to sideline. I was at Canes/Rebels game earlier in season, that in middle of speedway track, and crowd atmosphere was pretty good I thought, Mind you I think having arvo games is good for atmosphere anyway, tends to be a lot of kids etc getting into it? I go to a fair amount of games, and went Suncorp a hell of a lot over the 20 years or so I was in Brisbane, and really didn't see a better atmosphere there compared to other grounds around Aus and NZ. Was great access etc, but with big screens etc at games these days viewing tends to be good most I been to.

Actually the best spot I have ever watched a rugby game from was in old Athletic Park in Wellington in a AB/Wallaby test in 96, was right at front of top tier, so was virtually 5m from touchline looking almost straight down. Was like watching a game on chessboard in seeing how players moved around positionally etc. But then again I a rugby nerd and love watching intriacies of game.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I agree up to a point on cricket grounds etc mate, but I do at times think thats as much to do with players as much as anything, on how close crowd is to sideline. I was at Canes/Rebels game earlier in season, that in middle of speedway track, and crowd atmosphere was pretty good I thought, Mind you I think having arvo games is good for atmosphere anyway, tends to be a lot of kids etc getting into it? I go to a fair amount of games, and went Suncorp a hell of a lot over the 20 years or so I was in Brisbane, and really didn't see a better atmosphere there compared to other grounds around Aus and NZ. Was great access etc, but with big screens etc at games these days viewing tends to be good most I been to.

Actually the best spot I have ever watched a rugby game from was in old Athletic Park in Wellington in a AB/Wallaby test in 96, was right at front of top tier, so was virtually 5m from touchline looking almost straight down. Was like watching a game on chessboard in seeing how players moved around positionally etc. But then again I a rugby nerd and love watching intriacies of game.
Yes, when the Tahs had better crowds at the previous SFS, I tended to sit towards the front of the upper tier for that same reason.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

Now that takes me back. I do remember fearing for my life at the top of the Millard Stand in a good southerly, but geez you could not get a better view of the game.
And to top it of also remember Bernie's corner, not sure the game think it was Canterbury, but in the 80's but we were only 2/3 seats back and literally could have touched him when he scored.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Been shelving acid tabs for breakfast again?
ub1nsh1e7hj11.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep 8 team finals is perhaps dumb, but bugger me if I didn't watch the QFs!!! It's almost like relegation matches when you see teams trying to make top 8 , so that's how I found enjoyment in them too.

Mind you I admit I look for reasons to enjoy things I not keen on anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was just thinking, if we had a 6 team finals, we still would of had the 2 games the same (Chiefs-Reds & Brumbies-Highlanders) so with 8 teams we just got a couple of bonus games and Rebels got an extra game in finals to say goodbye??

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I get that it keeps the season relevant for the average sides but it diminishes the finals IMO. Should see floggings in a qf.

Long gone are the glory days of Super Rugby and the top 4. Can’t tell you the agony I had seeing the Tahs always seeming to manage 5th and 6th. Was good to see sides really push for BPs throughout the year.

Think they over achieved looking back and seeing Duncan McRea play.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I get that it keeps the season relevant for the average sides but it diminishes the finals IMO. Should see floggings in a qf.

Long gone are the glory days of Super Rugby and the top 4. Can’t tell you the agony I had seeing the Tahs always seeming to manage 5th and 6th. Was good to see sides really push for BPs throughout the year.

Think they over achieved looking back and seeing Duncan McRea play.
Oh yeah mate, I a fan of 4 team finals, even top 3. But most seem to think 6 was good number, and even under that there would of been the same blow outs.

Hell if I had my way, there would be no final series, the best team over the round robin would be champion, then have a straight knockout of all teams for a seprate trophy.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Interesting that 'canes, as top seed, were able to choose which day & at what time to play their QF & SF, opting for 4:30 NZT Saturday for both.

Should they host the GF I wonder if SANZAAR will let them choose again or force it to be at 7pm to maximize tv audience (remembering 7pm NZ is 7am UK)?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The issue with smaller finals format is literally this season would have been over after round 7-8, with knowing which teams are the top 4. Without any competition wide levers to pull to make the weaker teams stronger and the stronger teams weaker, we would basically see the same 4-5 teams in the finals every year.

Mick The Munch

Ron Walden (29)
The issue with smaller finals format is literally this season would have been over after round 7-8, with knowing which teams are the top 4. Without any competition wide levers to pull to make the weaker teams stronger and the stronger teams weaker, we would basically see the same 4-5 teams in the finals every year.
Which is why Super Rugby is fundamentally floored - it;s a catch 22 - can't expand but can't put on enough matches with smaller finals. Urgh, it's a circular convo - I'm exhausted - get a Bein subscrpition and watch the (what feels like) 50 round top 14

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting that 'canes, as top seed, were able to choose which day & at what time to play their QF & SF, opting for 4:30 NZT Saturday for both.

Should they host the GF I wonder if SANZAAR will let them choose again or force it to be at 7pm to maximize tv audience (remembering 7pm NZ is 7am UK)?

No, if they host the GF it will be at the standard 7.30pm local time…

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Can’t imagine coaches would love it. I bet they like the minor leniency it gives them to say we made the finals 2/3 years even though it’s first round blow outs.
I take your point - and semi agree - but having games with finals ramifications all the way to the end does also make it interesting as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I take your point - and semi agree - but having games with finals ramifications all the way to the end does also make it interesting as well.
I get that’s the reason behind and I understand it but I would also add Rugby don’t have many casual viewers these days anyway that tune in to see if the Tahs could have had a run or if the Force squeeze in. They’re watching anyway.

Real finals start next weekend and these felt like wildcard games at best.