• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Look at how many of the lineouts we lost were intercepted by an opposing jumper in front of our own jumper. They might have been too predictable, but plenty of lineouts we lost just didn't make it all the way to the target.

That's because the Boks put jumpers in front of ours because they knew where it wa going...

There was an excellent article on the front page blog which analyses it...

You couldn't ask for a better lineout thrower than Moore... All he can do is throw it to the target...

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wallabies coach (or his delegate) should be empowered to consult with the Super Rugby coaches to ensure that players are played in the positions that suit the national interest, not the short-term interests of a Super Rugby franchise.

When the Wallabies are strong, we have a chance. The Reds winning this year is a momentary bonus. The Wallabies are the main game.

Maybe so, and I basically agree with you, but I wonder how S15 sponsors would react if they thought "their" coach was being coerced into making selection decisions that were possibly not in the best interest of "their" team's chances of winning any particular game. Sponsors give so much to the game and cannot be disregarded. I think any sponsor who is tipping buckets of money into a S15 franchise would be pissed off if his team was treated as just a feeder team for the Wallabies and not an important entity in it's own right.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Seriously Slim, your indefatigable defence of all things Brumby knows no bounds. You seriously think that ALL the lineout woes can be sheeted home to a lock, but absolutely no blame can be attributed to the hooker? I think it is a collaboration. The lineout had problems before Vickerman returned. Was he phoning in his voodoo? Are all the locks hopeless?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe so, and I basically agree with you, but I wonder how S15 sponsors would react if they thought "their" coach was being coerced into making selection decisions that were possibly not in the best interest of "their" team's chances of winning any particular game. Sponsors give so much to the game and cannot be disregarded. I think any sponsor who is tipping buckets of money into a S15 franchise would be pissed off if his team was treated as just a feeder team for the Wallabies and not an important entity in it's own right.

The sponsors are a necessary evil but the ARU must have some say in the way its players - i.e. those on ARU contracts - are played by the provinces. At certain times - world cup years maybe - the provinces should have to toe the ARU line on player and positional selections. The s. 15 franchises only exist because of the Wallabies.

If the sponsors dont get the fact that the s. 15 teams are feeder teams then they are in the wrong sport - but I doubt that playing Beale at 5/8 or fullback will make an ounce of difference to the sponsor's return.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm going to defer my opinion on KB (Kurtley Beale) as five-eighth to Lee - what's the go, LG?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously Slim, your indefatigable defence of all things Brumby knows no bounds. You seriously think that ALL the lineout woes can be sheeted home to a lock, but absolutely no blame can be attributed to the hooker? I think it is a collaboration. The lineout had problems before Vickerman returned. Was he phoning in his voodoo? Are all the locks hopeless?

Our lineout was infinitely better last year... And Moore has for many years been an excellent thrower...

Maybe he's not completely void of blame, but I bet if he wa throwing for a different team like the Boks there wouldn't be the same issue...

Moore had an excellent combination with Vickerman years ago, but ts clear that Vickerman is not at the top of his game..

But yeah, aside from Vickerman there's probably issues with Williams coaching, timing, lifters...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm going to defer my opinion on KB (Kurtley Beale) as five-eighth to Lee - what's the go, LG?

If he's half as good as he was as a schoolboy I would love to see him played there. Still has the speed and unpredictability, it will just come down to how he handles the pressure of international rugby. We might have better prospects in JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua, Beale is a class 15 and we should leave him there.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think Beale will bea fantastic 5/8 I think he is just still a couple of year off it. He was rushed in, it took him a while to mature and hopefully the rebels won't affect that process and can become great.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I was just thinking the same thing. Slim is quite amazing in his total focus on all things Brumby being infallible.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If he's half as good as he was as a schoolboy I would love to see him played there. Still has the speed and unpredictability, it will just come down to how he handles the pressure of international rugby. We might have better prospects in JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua, Beale is a class 15 and we should leave him there.

Would everyone stop suggesting JOC (James O'Connor) as a flyhalf! He is surely most suited to 12 with his strength in contact and running game coupled with short passing and reasonable kicking. He is the heir apparent to tim horan!

I expect him to finish his career in higher standing than both Beale and Cooper and likely genia as well (as long as he keeps that ego in check).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To be fair to Slim, Scotty, he replied to my post and conceded it might be a team effort, which I think is closer to the mark! That said, Moore IS a good thrower most of the time. I think the lineout problems highlights the forward issues - good individual players in many positions, not gelling as a team enough.
Can't fault his dedication to the Brumbies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't fault his dedication to the Brumbies.

I think we all get slightly one eyed with our various teams.

But I'm certainly nowhere near as bad as many posters.

I can at least be very critical of players in my team... Rather than calling on them for higher duties...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

He was a good footballer as a schoolboy 5/8 but he was not a proper 5/8.
The sooner we as a rugby playing nation start looking for opportunity creators at 5/8 instead of opportunity takers the sooner we will recover from this lull in proceedings.
As 1st receiver a 5/8 has 5 other hopefully potent attacking weapons to deploy: QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) play 5/8 as if it is they who are the only attacking weapons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There's a pot out there somewhere throwing racial slurs towards a kettle...

During the s15 season and first test selection yes. During the world cup I haven't called or defended any reds player unduly. Actually the only one I want to see get some more game time is higgers.

The players I have defended the most are mccalman and McCabe.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He was a good footballer as a schoolboy 5/8 but he was not a proper 5/8.
The sooner we as a rugby playing nation start looking for opportunity creators at 5/8 instead of opportunity takers the sooner we will recover from this lull in proceedings.
As 1st receiver a 5/8 has 5 other hopefully potent attacking weapons to deploy: QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) play 5/8 as if it is they who are the only attacking weapons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disagree. Coopers first instinct is to set other players up and support the ball. He is clearly a creator but has been off his game. Barnes is also a creator but with different skills.

Beale, giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) first instincts are to run and try and beat the opposing player which makes them more suitable for wider positions.

I would like to see JOC (James O'Connor) in either centre position (yes even 13) and Beale to stay at 15.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think we all get slightly one eyed with our various teams.

But I'm certainly nowhere near as bad as many posters.

I can at least be very critical of players in my team... Rather than calling on them for higher duties...
You're worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.