• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
To elaborate -

I've already heard player scuttlebut that mixed messages come out between Dingo and Nuci. How would adding Link - who many say will be next coach - into the mix help that situation? Who do you think the players will be interested in and following then?

JO'N and Dingo are no mugs so basically at most it would be a lip service commission - a sham and waste of time

If Link comes in with Deans staying, Nuci must go.

We know Link can be successful in a supporting role (from his previous assistant jobs). I have doubts Nuci can work as well with others.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
When thinking of what you need in a 5/8 ask yourself how like any of these QC (Quade Cooper) is:
Mark Ella
Grant Fox
Michael Lynagh
Joel Stransky
Stephen Larkham
Johnny Wilkinson
Butch James

Apart from Ella these are all RWC winning 5/8s.
Ella probably would have won one had there been one to win.
Even the Oz 5/8s in this list play nothing like the way (I'm not talking about execution I'm talking about style of play) QC (Quade Cooper) plays.
Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it: we have won RWCs when we have had a 5/8 who controls the game and constructs opportunities as opposed to one who plays off the top of his head, albeit with undoubted ability.
As a nation the issue is staring us in the face but we refuse to acknowledge it, or even consider it.

Firstly, I'm not sure how a James, Wilkinson or Stransky would fit into a Wallaby team that can't get forward dominance. If Wilkinson was behind Australia's pack in the 2003 final he would not have looked any good at all.

Secondly, I'll give a crack at a comparison of Cooper to Larkham. People seem to forget that Larkham was not the best kicker from hand at all. When we whitewashed the ABs (98?) he kicked brilliantly from hand, but generally his kicking was weak and quite average. What Larkham did have in front of him in 99 was a good scrum and a very good breakdown forward pack with one of the best lineouts going around. He also had bigger/stronger backs that would often get over the advantage line (in 99 and 03) and even create their own play. Think Horan, Herbert, Mortlock, Tune, Burke, Sailor, Tuqiri, Latham and Roff. He was great at holding the ball in two hands and 'ghosting' through the defense, but this was definately helped by the defense looking at the likes of Mortlock outside him.

How much better would Cooper look with the 99 players around him? Give him a Horan, Mortlock and Tune outside him with a good forward back and I have no doubt he'd be carving them up.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
If Link comes in with Deans staying, Nuci must go.

We know Link can be successful in a supporting role (from his previous assistant jobs). I have doubts Nuci can work as well with others.

I doubt very much that Link would be interested in coming in support. Pretty sure I saw a quote the other day from him that there can be only one captain. Think he is focussed on developing his skills as head coach at Queensland and must know that if he can get another good season there (final appearance) he would be almost definite as next coach.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This just isn't true. Stephen Donald, Isaia Toeava (to date), Adam Thompson (to date), Marty Hollah, Caleb Ralph, Wyatt Crockett are just a few names which come to mind.

How many of those players are first choice for their position? How many ABs players have lifted their game massively via participation in the squad?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If people think Link (or any Super Rugby coach) only works from Jan - season end, they're kidding. I don't know Link's feelings on all of this, but he puts a hell of a lot of work into the off-season, even if its not coaching, its things around the organisation.

The three week window mid-season (when we play Wales) for instance, I couldn't see Link being involved at all with the Wallabies, as he has Reds games and hopefully a finals series to plan for at that time.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Piss Nuci off with or without link his presece is a conflict of interest and compromise a healthy degree of seperation between head office and the training paddock.

Piss off all the assistants and clean them out. Set up a roadshow of technical coaches such as scrummaging and get them working in the rugby community seperate from the Wallaby setup.

Before making any appointments of assistants, see how things pan out within the super rugby franchises and assess who can bring what strengths to the setup. Inlisting super rugby coaches as assistants based on the strengths of their respective sides has its merrits. No perminant appointments, just bring them in as a sub contractor so to speak. It would be positive if the super rugby coaches formed the selection panel also. Their knowledge of players performance on and off the field would outweigh any bias that would potentially seep in.

*EDIT* - As Reg points out above, the new international format would make this impossible. I still like the concept though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They are two different positions.

Patricio Noriega does scrums and Jim Williams does lineouts and restarts.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My feeling is that the skills issue goes further than the S15/Test nexus.

I have observed 20 year old union and league players and both the skill sets and physical development of the league boys is far superior. While a rugby club may have several skilled and super fit players, the league teams have every player extremely strong, fit and well drilled. For the league clubs it is a numbers game. They will spend up to $750,000 developing their 12 to 18 year olds knowing that they will be lucky to get one player each year to go on to be a first grader.

In contrast the NTS scheme (of which I know only a little) seems elitist and the complete opposite of league's 'train many and get one' philosophy. But you don't have to be a genius to assume which system will give a greater depth of better senior players.

A strong rugby management would address this issue. Of course it would be easier to demand huge salaries, travel the world first class and rub shoulders only with the high paid players and coaches, and pretend the cash strapped areas of the game don't exist.. The money these administrators spent on themselves over there in NZ would probably cover the costs of junior development for quite a while.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Was thinking last night, we have so many resources in this country we don't use.

Kicking - we have a sport in AFL that no other country has, in both kicking and catching a good coach from AFL can changethe way we go about it.

Tackling - defensive patterns are cyclic. Someone comes up with something new, ann attack coach finds a way around it, it changes again. In 1999 we won on the back of defense based on the league style, now everyon uses it and league defensive coaches ar the best in theworld, employ one. A new one, get a rugby league coach in without getting him to change, he may just have sonefresh ideas.

Since McQueen, we have been the pack an not innovating, were ntthe crusaders or the all blacks. I'm sick of seeing other team play to there strengths and watching our coaching team try to mould us into something else. Tie forfresh ideas not 4 more years of the same

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
How many of those players are first choice for their position? How many ABs players have lifted their game massively via participation in the squad?

Stephen Donald was actually first choice in 2009. Some of the current squad haven't had it easy either.

Jerome Kaino, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu have all been dropped and critisised about their game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tackling - defensive patterns are cyclic. Someone comes up with something new, ann attack coach finds a way around it, it changes again. In 1999 we won on the back of defense based on the league style, now everyon uses it and league defensive coaches ar the best in theworld, employ one. A new one, get a rugby league coach in without getting him to change, he may just have sonefresh ideas.

Phil Blake is a former leaguie.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Is Blake there full time? and on top, he has been coaching union, get a league coach involved, get Ricky Stewart or someone to training just for ideas, some might be crap, some might work, at the very least it creates innovation

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh gawd. I wouldn't want Ricky Stuart coming near anywhere near Union again. I can't stand the guy.

I have no idea whether Phil Blake is full time, but generally, our defensive coaches have come from league backgrounds. John Muggleton, Les Kiss.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Oh gawd. I wouldn't want Ricky Stuart coming near anywhere near Union again. I can't stand the guy.

I have no idea whether Phil Blake is full time, but generally, our defensive coaches have come from league backgrounds. John Muggleton, Les Kiss.

Agree re Stuart. Not a big fan. One of my colleagues at work is a big Roosters fan (where he coached previously). Her view was that he only had one style of motivation, which was to rip into players with a view to pissing them off and if they get angry enough, they play better. Of course, that only works with some players. Although, thinking about it, might be good for someone to rip into some of our players...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I thought whatsisname, the thin bloke who doesn't talk much, all his sides win - you know who I mean - I thought he was going to do a few sessions with the Wobs. Didn't happen?

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
The other thing with league guys is you don't want them getting in the ear of some of our young players about how they would 'tear it up' in leagues ala Matty Johns with Quade in '07. Muggleton, Kiss and Blake developed into great rugby defence coaches through spending time in the game at lower levels where they learnt what worked and what didn't work. An AFL coach would be good, especially a good technical one (just don't go hiring a retired big name player as a lot of them were naturally brilliant and don't know how to pass on the requisite skills) - as a point of interest I believe the All Blacks (or NZRU) have an ex-AFL player in their coaching set-up.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Stephen Donald was actually first choice in 2009. Some of the current squad haven't had it easy either.

Jerome Kaino, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu have all been dropped and critisised about their game.

I take your point, but you can always identify an individual or two. I think the difference is that (IMO, of course) there is a pattern for Australia, whereas for the ABs you have some players who fail, some who go out of form, but generally speaking there is not a decline or lack of improvement in core skills across the board.

And yes, I know I'm generalising grossly.

Status
Not open for further replies.