• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmm, not sure about that. Could it be that the one time they tried it they lost millions of dollars and had to can it after a year??

Runs deeper than that. Club development, school development (public and private equally). On a senior level it was sad to see the ARC go but it was sader to see the ARS go. It was the comp that spread rugby regionally. We are such a sport mad country and the greatest sport of all just doesn't get promoted accross the whole country.

A lot of the problem comes from to much focus on the elite eliments of the game and not the grass roots.

Wher to from here is probably a question directed at the Wallabies and I have digressed away from that.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Australian Rugby Sheild.

NSW Country
QLD Country
ACT
NT
Darwin Mozzies
Adelaide
WA
Melbourne
Tasmania was trialed towards the end.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I really don't think there is the need for a wholesale cleanout or the doom and gloom response that many rugby fans have had. We had an average RWC which in my opinion came on the back of key players underperforming combined with a few injuries.

Playerwise I agree.

Assistant Coaches I don't agree.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree.
despite the man love for Samo, you don't have a quality 8 man. One amazing game against the all blacks in brisbane doesn't make him world class 8.
Rocky is patchy. he can be exceptional and he can be quite average.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This is going to be a mature side at the next world cup, are we going to be dominate? Or are we going to be overtaken by other teams that are. We need an objective review into coaching and the set up, we need that now and it needs to come with no strings attached. That issomethingthat will never happen.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
This is going to be a mature side at the next world cup, are we going to be dominate? Or are we going to be overtaken by other teams that are. We need an objective review into coaching and the set up, we need that now and it needs to come with no strings attached. That issomethingthat will never happen.

Realistically, I don't think we are ever going to dominate. The World Cup is a bit of a lottery, evidenced by the fact that the favourite rarely wins (otherwise, we would be celebrating New Zealand's 7th Cup). At the top level, there is rarely very much between the sides. And as pretty much everyone comes with their game faces on for the Cup (at least for a couple of matches) there are always upsets. Because it only takes one of the favourites to be a little off their game and the other to play out of their skins (which often happens). Even when we have won, we have had some close scrapes along the way. And even in our purple patch (thinking the Eales era), there were any number of games we won at the last moment (penalties from the side line, try in the last minute). In fact, if New Zealand beat France by a margin, this would probably be the most dominant display by the ultimate winner ever. Not sure about that, as haven't really tracked back through all past results, but wouldn't be surprised.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Playerwise I agree.

Assistant Coaches I don't agree.

Why do you exempt Deans? I'm not rabidly anti the guy, but he kept Williams and the rest on staff, he blundered with some selections, he (presumably) failed tactically.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Why do you exempt Deans? I'm not rabidly anti the guy, but he kept Williams and the rest on staff, he blundered with some selections, he (presumably) failed tactically.

Because being realistic, JoN has a massive man crush on Deans and wont part ways because of his contract and realistically who else do we have to take the reigns?

I personally would love Link and Foley to be brought in as consultants to give feedback to Deans on how to extract the most out of their players. As both of them are the Reds and Tahs head coaches, they spend alot more time with the guys and know their strengths and weaknesses better than Deans.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely Jim Williams and Nucifora are out.
They should be.
Who comes in as Forwards coach then? Deans needs an assistant backs coach to support him in that role.

T

The Chainsaw

Jim was out of his depth and Nucifora is a hindrance. What other country has a HP Manager in the coach's box?
We need someone who knows the set piece. Link is the man and he has the runs on the board and is respected. Foley has a vast amount of knowledge but is known for his back-stabbing.
Unfortunately Kafer would be paid more by Fox, he would be ideal. We let another great coach in Pat Howard jump to Cricket.
Deans, McKenzie, Taylor and ......... (The Dreamteam)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surely Jim Williams and Nucifora are out.
They should be.
Who comes in as Forwards coach then? Deans needs an assistant backs coach to support him in that role.

I dont disagree with you but there would be few coaching gigs anywhere in the world in any sport where the assistants got the boot because of dissatisfaction with the teams performance but the head coach stayed

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

There are some real issues as to whether we will be more mature, including: will QC (Quade Cooper) stay in union - I doubt there's enough money around for him in league now but he could head off to france at the end of 2012; Horne may or may not get a clear run without injuries - if he does it will be his first so can we count on it? McCabe does not seem to offer enough ball skill and, arguably, he was filling a hole created by other selections and Barnes long term absence prior to the cup. Simmons is an unknown quantity: he looks good at s15 but the jury is out at test level. I like the look of Higginbotham but a lot on here dont - so I guess there's a question mark over his ability to replace Rocky, when rocky was at his best. Palu - has to be doubtful that he can get back to test level. Genia has come to that point where all wallaby half backs come to eventually - he doesn't trust his pigs to get him clean quick phase ball and he's never sure if he got it quick enough to give it to those outside which leads to more hesitation.
No doubt we will unearth 2 or 3 obscenely talented players. When we do we should nurse them into test match rugby: we should not succumb to the temptation to play them because they were the best in their position in in a season. We need a long term view on every selection.
My prediction is that 4 weeks before RWC 2015 the prevailing view will be we can do it if we can just eliminate the mistakes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Dont discount a league team coming up with the money so quickly. It would bring bragging rights for the code and they hardly have anything on the profile of a WC to test his mettle with. They have a new broadcasting deal coming up which could also see a big salary cap increase. A new Brisbane team will have ha pile of cash to blow and he would get bums on seats up here just to see how he goes.

I dont think he will leave and think he still has a lot to offer the Reds and Wallabies. But when has he ever done what everyone else thought.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't buy the bums on seats theory: don't forget theres salary cap so you don't want to risk too much on a bloke who has not yet shown he can perform reliably under pressure. If I were a league scout I'd ask to see the tape of his games for Aus u21s: bears a striking similarity to the worst performances this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
Jim was out of his depth and Nucifora is a hindrance. What other country has a HP Manager in the coach's box?
We need someone who knows the set piece. Link is the man and he has the runs on the board and is respected. Foley has a vast amount of knowledge but is known for his back-stabbing.
Unfortunately Kafer would be paid more by Fox, he would be ideal. We let another great coach in Pat Howard jump to Cricket.
Deans, McKenzie, Taylor and ......... (The Dreamteam)

There is also Padre Noriega. I reckon he has improved our scrum overall. In fairness we were without Robbo who is propably the best scrummager in the country when fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.