• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
IMG_1892.jpeg

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)
A bit sad for these young Woodies. They will be a lot better when they get some more games under their belts (and a bit of luck).

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A bit sad for these young Woodies. They will be a lot better when they get some more games under their belts (and a bit of luck).

Must be tough at Milner right now - they forfeited 4th Grade which would be extremely rare.

Additionally I see they're putting 16 and 17 year old kids onto Colts. You're expect a big club like that to have a lot more "Born 2004" in their roster but there are a lot of 2006 and 2005 as well.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Must be tough at Milner right now - they forfeited 4th Grade which would be extremely rare.

Additionally I see they're putting 16 and 17 year old kids onto Colts. You're expect a big club like that to have a lot more "Born 2004" in their roster but there are a lot of 2006 and 2005 as well.

That's not all that uncommon. I was 17 when I entered Colts and that was 21 years ago now (I was actually still 16 in the trials). In fact a lot of the 4th grade sides for many of the clubs had 17 year old's running around for them. Sort of a soft introduction to the grade system.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In fact a lot of the 4th grade sides for many of the clubs had 17 year old's running around for them. Sort of a soft introduction to the grade system.

When I see a 16yo running around in Colts 3, I'm thinking either they're an early bloomer, need to qualify for something, or the club is short of numbers.

Rumours at the start of the year were Eastwood had 4 Colts teams at training every week etc.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tight race to the finish line, Top 6 solidified fighting it out for ladder position now. Any ideas on who may take out the Colts shield?
Really a 3 horse race. Uni currently lead Colts Club Championship on 780 points with Easts in second with 758 points and Gordon closely behind on 708. With Easts v Uni this week Gordon could do a "Bradbury" with an easier final two rounds against Norths and Two Blues. Uni have a harder run v Easts then Eastwood. Easts v Uni and then West Harbour to finish round 18.

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Really a 3 horse race. Uni currently lead Colts Club Championship on 780 points with Easts in second with 758 points and Gordon closely behind on 708. With Easts v Uni this week Gordon could do a "Bradbury" with an easier final two rounds against Norths and Two Blues. Uni have a harder run v Easts then Eastwood. Easts v Uni and then West Harbour to finish round 18.
Colts 1s minor premiership up for grabs with Easts vs Uni, Thursday evening - Easts currently leading the 1s comp by 5 points.

The (Easts/Uni) 1s game will be won up front (as always) - Uni have a solid front five but a weak #7 and #6. Easts have a very strong and mobile back row, but their front row will be challenged at scrum time. Both have excellent lineout jumpers - any lineout steals could be key.

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Herbert Moran (7)
Colts 1s minor premiership up for grabs with Easts vs Uni, Thursday evening - Easts currently leading the 1s comp by 5 points.

The (Easts/Uni) 1s game will be won up front (as always) - Uni have a solid front five but a weak #7 and #6. Easts have a very strong and mobile back row, but their front row will be challenged at scrum time. Both have excellent lineout jumpers - any lineout steals could be key.
Thoughts on the 1 colts Gordon side? Based on Fusesport went down to the wire in both Easts games. Could be a smokey.

BobbyD

Allen Oxlade (6)
Easts Colts have very good cohesion and have had majority of the team have played every game together this year and will deserve top spot. Even if uni found a way to win well, Easts will hold top spot based on more wins. Uni have chopped and changed all season with players up and down to grade. Will still put a very good team on the park and keep to their 35 player points, but vs Manly last week were very, very poor and disjointed. Easts won in the last minute on a Friday night away at Manly so it’s a tough gig - Manly playing away have struggled though. Gordon definitely have game and have troubled Easts. Very good scrum and kick chase. Easts centres certainly provide good go forward that is a point of difference compared to other teams. Easts vs Uni grand final certainly not a foregone conclusion with Gordon, Randwick, Warringah, Manly and Souths all capable on their day but just not consistent. Colts remains a very good version of rugby to watch this year.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm trying to find out who won the Shute Shield in the years 2002 to 2006. It was played over the first 11 rounds in those years followed by the Tooheys New Cup once the super rugby season finished. The list of SS winners shows the TNC winners for those years not the SS winners. I know Warringah won the SS in one of those years but wasn't credited with winning the major title until 2017. Anyone know the answers?

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I'm trying to find out who won the Shute Shield in the years 2002 to 2006. It was played over the first 11 rounds in those years followed by the Tooheys New Cup once the super rugby season finished. The list of SS winners shows the TNC winners for those years not the SS winners. I know Warringah won the SS in one of those years but wasn't credited with winning the major title until 2017. Anyone know the answers?
Getty images is one source for things like this. They go back a fair way

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Can someone explain how the TNC worked? Why'd they make a whole new comp?

also im pretty sure Easts won one of those years.
I believe because Tooheys wanted to sponsor a club competition which included the super rugby players. So the first 11 rounds of the season were played for the Shute Shield and I think there was only a final between the top 2 teams, but not sure about this. Then another 11 rounds were played including the super rugby players for the TNC. Not sure if points from the first round were carried over into the TNC, but someone will know. Hard to find the SS winners for the years 2002-2006, but I believe they are on the actual shield. The list of SS winners (confusingly!) includes the TNC winners for 2002-2006, but not the SS winners!