• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2024

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Herbert Moran (7)
Will be interesting as to what comes from the Crisis meeting held by the 11 other clubs with SRU. You’d hate to be those board members today, they’ll unfortunately have to fall on their own sword of incompetence.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will be interesting as to what comes from the Crisis meeting held by the 11 other clubs with SRU. You’d hate to be those board members today, they’ll unfortunately have to fall on their own sword of incompetence.

They would have known the potential for this to blow up in their face. Why didn't they just dock them the 4 points - the same 6 teams will play finals . move on.

Or did they know the potential for other transgressions to surface? and didn't want to make a precedent

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Herbert Moran (7)
They would have known the potential for this to blow up in their face. Why didn't they just dock them the 4 points - the same 6 teams will play finals . move on.

Or did they know the potential for other transgressions to surface? and didn't want to make a precedent

I think they’ve set an extremely discouraging precedent that blatant violations of the points cap will go unpunished. What’s to stop the 11 other clubs calling in former International players and playing over the cap, I mean if Easts are able to do it why shouldn’t Hunter or the TwoBlues. Not to mention the domino effect it has for players in the lower grades who are playing blokes who have been dropped from 1st grade to make way for a Super Rugby/International player.

The issue is we’ve seen SRU handing down punishments for it before, Sydney Uni colts docked points for playing over the cap last year. Gordon docked points and fined for receiving 1 level of clearance rather than 2 (which happened to come in a day or 2 after he played). Why are East’s so special. Surely someone knew that the player in question was listed as 13 points 2 years ago and 12 points last year but then listed as 1 point this year (until recently being changed to 11).

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
The SRU has painted themselves into a corner with no way out. Their own system updated by previous Easts management had the player at the correct points recognising his test caps. New management comes in and decides that is not correct and wants to change the points to fit his agenda. Whatever 'credible' sources were used the points cap has been broken. A breach must incur a penalty and with the precedent of the Gordon breach, competition points must now be deducted from Easts.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think they’ve set an extremely discouraging precedent that blatant violations of the points cap will go unpunished. What’s to stop the 11 other clubs calling in former International players and playing over the cap, I mean if Easts are able to do it why shouldn’t Hunter or the TwoBlues. Not to mention the domino effect it has for players in the lower grades who are playing blokes who have been dropped from 1st grade to make way for a Super Rugby/International player.

The issue is we’ve seen SRU handing down punishments for it before, Sydney Uni colts docked points for playing over the cap last year. Gordon docked points and fined for receiving 1 level of clearance rather than 2 (which happened to come in a day or 2 after he played). Why are East’s so special. Surely someone knew that the player in question was listed as 13 points 2 years ago and 12 points last year but then listed as 1 point this year (until recently being changed to 11).
The article says the coach regraded some of them because he believed they were wrong

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The SRU has painted themselves into a corner with no way out. Their own system updated by previous Easts management had the player at the correct points recognising his test caps. New management comes in and decides that is not correct and wants to change the points to fit his agenda. Whatever 'credible' sources were used the points cap has been broken. A breach must incur a penalty and with the precedent of the Gordon breach, competition points must now be deducted from Easts.
I would agree - and if there were other breaches ? Still waiting for someone to tell me what junior club Harris played for

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Re: Junior clubs and such.

My recollection from the last year of Junior sport I played was that everything was tracked pretty digitally for a combination of insurance purposes, which age grade you were eligible to be participating in etc. , and that was 15 years ago, give or take a couple of years.

Would that data have not have been retained (at least in a stripped back version) and hence be easy to refer to for these purposes?

Regardless, amateur's gonna amateur. Feels rather absurd that Teams have some sort of control over classification and tracking, rather than it being entirely centrally managed with formal, public & evidenced requests for review.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a very old posting in here explaining the points system - by long gone member Huge Arse

I assume it still accurate

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)