• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not sure if things have changed now but all the CAS/GPS schools in the east at least stopped kids playing club rugby (at least the good players, they couldn't have cared less if I had continued) after about year 8.

In those days the rep side was Easts/Randwick which basically included all the local club teams in the Eastern Suburbs (Easts, Randwick, Coogee, Clovelly, St Brigids, South Coogee). Interesting that the structure has now changed.

RemainingInTheGame

Allen Oxlade (6)
From U13 upwards the local clubs (Bays, Clovelly etc...) now feed into either Randwick Warriors or Junior Beasties - so basically those sides are the rep sides; as there are not any U13 to Open teams outside those 2 in the catchments.

See pic at the bottom here for Easts:

And bottom of page here for Randwick:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting. Never been involved with any of Sydney's East Clubs or Schools so don't know who it's handled.

Iv'e never heard kids being stopped but it becomes impossible to fit it in once they are in yr 11,12 and doing 5+ sessions a week in 1st, 2nds rugby so it does it for them. Seems to die off above the 16s but before that there was no issues fitting it in and participating.

Easts and Randwick pick up a good chunk of country kids post school who want to live that way as well as the UK/Irish that helps the numbers.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
it becomes impossible to fit it in once they are in yr 11,12 and doing 5+ sessions a week in 1st, 2nds rugby so it does it for them.

That's quite a load to manage for what looks like a very short school "season".

Shame we can't find a way to have both schools and juniors run through the age grades. League manage it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
They play more than most say. The School season would finish and most would have played at least 15 games and most 20+ when you consider the holiday tours alot do. Add in the rep games for some/ a lot of them with so many sides and they get 25+ by the end of the year.

10 years ago it was very very short and not enough but it has improved. It's a shame the Club game isn't stronger but when you see the resources in the schools RA aint going to push away from it and then have to find the resources for clubland sadly.

RemainingInTheGame

Allen Oxlade (6)
My observation is that Randwick and Waverley College have a great relationship, with many Waves boys playing in Randwick junior teams, including the older junior teams.

I'm not sure if they include 1st / 2nd players for Waves - but they clearly love their rugby!

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Turinui and Hoiles have no doubted helped that. Both old boys and one was GM/Head of Football and the other 1st Grade Coach.

Eastwood seem to be going a similar way with Kings which is good. Hugh Perrett the Woodies legend being one of their coaches. I believe they played some trials v Eastwood Colts.