• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Maybe it is all about who can win? We are a minor sport these days, it is about time all stakeholders everywhere tried to cooperate whenever possible, even if they cannot agree on everything.

Couldn't agree more, but it's always going to be difficult to achieve when the man at the top of the ARU seems to think the Premier Rugby comps are not as important as the clubs think they are.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Couldn't agree more, but it's always going to be difficult to achieve when the man at the top of the ARU seems to think the Premier Rugby comps are not as important as the clubs think they are.

Or could it be that the man at the top recognises the need to provide players more opportunity to develop by playing a higher standard of Rugby than the clubs can reasonably provide.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Or could it be that the man at the top recognises the need to provide players more opportunity to develop by playing a higher standard of Rugby than the clubs can reasonably provide.

I'd suggest he has (correctly) won that argument.

But surely we still need the baseline foundation of the clubs? I note that Uni picked up a couple of players for their first grade team last year from their joint NRC venture with Balmain the previous years so even subbies have a role in the grand scheme.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So much finger pointing.
If the man at the top is only looking at test, soup, NRC, he is missing the most important component - that is the game itself.
We need to ensure the pathway is flourishing and pushing talent up by growing.
I'm not saying the man at the top is only looking at Test, Soup, NRC - i know he's not.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd suggest he has (correctly) won that argument.

But surely we still need the baseline foundation of the clubs? I note that Uni picked up a couple of players for their first grade team last year from their joint NRC venture with Balmain the previous years so even subbies have a role in the grand scheme.

I'd never dispute the role the clubs play in the identification and development of talent within the pathway. It provides a place for young guys to learn their craft and also allows late bloomers to emerge. It's plays an important role. But, there are those within the structure that need understand that we need a bridging competition between it and Super Rugby. That and the SS isn't the be all and end all of the club game.

I want the club game to be strong but I want the game to be stronger.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So much finger pointing.
If the man at the top is only looking at test, soup, NRC, he is missing the most important component - that is the game itself.
We need to ensure the pathway is flourishing and pushing talent up by growing.
I'm not saying the man at the top is only looking at Test, Soup, NRC - i know he's not.

Participation is the biggest key to the overall health of all levels of the game. Something that according to the Australian Sports Commission the ARU under Pulver has begun to actually address.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Participation is the biggest key to the overall health of all levels of the game. Something that according to the Australian Sports Commission the ARU under Pulver has begun to actually address.

Yes Pulver is, and it's encoraging to see

I also know NSWRU is had a very key focus on this as well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sounds like we're in agreement, just different ways of looking at it.

My issue is that I don't see the need to have moved the start of the season back a fortnight nor introduce a bye round if they were just going to keep the current 18 round structure. Even if they wanted a bye round, fine, but why move the start back. It only creates conflict.

Also, why are they running a 7s comp in the summer. I'm actually a fan of establishing a designated club 7s season that would run during the NRC window. That way you would maintain that engagement. Run several divisions. Social (mixed teams based around Viva 7s), Opens, Heavyweights and Elite. Outside of the Elite bracket all other divisions would be welcome to all comers.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
My issue is that I don't see the need to have moved the start of the season back a fortnight nor introduce a bye round if they were just going to keep the current 18 round structure. Even if they wanted a bye round, fine, but why move the start back. It only creates conflict.

Also, why are they running a 7s comp in the summer. I'm actually a fan of establishing a designated club 7s season that would run during the NRC window. That way you would maintain that engagement. Run several divisions. Social (mixed teams based around Viva 7s), Opens, Heavyweights and Elite. Outside of the Elite bracket all other divisions would be welcome to all comers.

The club 7s is running at Moore Park on the same weekend as the Sydney (International) 7s tournament (3-5/2) with the final played on the Football Stadium I assume, as per last year.

Many of the other 7s tournaments (eg Kiama 25/2) run at this time of year also starting with Darwin (21/1) through to Dubbo (11/3). Several of the SS clubs enter teams in these.

If this ran during the NRC wouldn't most of the Elite players be involved in the NRC?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The club 7s is running at Moore Park on the same weekend as the Sydney (International) 7s tournament (3-5/2) with the final played on the Football Stadium I assume, as per last year.

Many of the other 7s tournaments (eg Kiama 25/2) run at this time of year also starting with Darwin (21/1) through to Dubbo (11/3). Several of the SS clubs enter teams in these.

If this ran during the NRC wouldn't most of the Elite players be involved in the NRC?

I've found there tends to be little actual overlap of 7s and 15s players in general.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Nope club 7s has unfotunately been removed from the Sydney 7s, last i heard or was being played at Rat Park end of Feb.

There is Lake Mac
Crescent head
Hunter
Kiama
That get good interest and expands / grows rugby.

Clubs are generallying having 3 trials.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Nope club 7s has unfotunately been removed from the Sydney 7s, last i heard or was being played at Rat Park end of Feb.

There is Lake Mac
Crescent head
Hunter
Kiama
That get good interest and expands / grows rugby.

Clubs are generallying having 3 trials.

I hadn't heard that, last I heard it was on 4/2 at Kippax.
Good if it has been separated as I think it deserves to stand alone.
Last year Fox didn't even show the final --- they had talking heads while it was being played.
Kiama 7s is 25/2 so I hope it doesn't clash with that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
True at the international level, but many of the clubs enter teams into the various 7s tournaments around Oz and of course the Sydney Club 7s is all 15s players.

Another option is remove the Elite bracket and let clubs enter teams in the Opens category. Again, the point is participation. Keeping players engaged.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I hadn't heard that, last I heard it was on 4/2 at Kippax.
Good if it has been separated as I think it deserves to stand alone.
Last year Fox didn't even show the final --- they had talking heads while it was being played.
Kiama 7s is 25/2 so I hope it doesn't clash with that.
Yeah, i understand with the womens now being more involved it has shifted the club.
No it didn't clash with Kiama, it may have just been spoken about and not locked in.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Will no one mention the elephant in the room re 7s? Looks like it's up to me. The vast majority of boys don't really like 7s. They put up with it pre season that's about it. That's the ones that are talked into playing it. Lots of players aren't at all suitable obviously.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Will no one mention the elephant in the room re 7s? Looks like it's up to me. The vast majority of boys don't really like 7s. They put up with it pre season that's about it. That's the ones that are talked into playing it. Lots of players aren't at all suitable obviously.

and increasingly the paths diverge - players have to make a choice pretty early in their careers post school.
On a purely statistical basis you'd have to go 15s, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.