• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Will no one mention the elephant in the room re 7s? Looks like it's up to me. The vast majority of boys don't really like 7s. They put up with it pre season that's about it. That's the ones that are talked into playing it. Lots of players aren't at all suitable obviously.

The last thing we need in Australian rugby is for Sevens to become dominant. We have enough trouble finding and developing tight five stars now.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And yet when Begg says "We are not being adversarial towards the ARU" I have this flashback to my youth and my father pulling out the strap saying "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you."

I'm confident that people from various angles will be pleased with his encumberance, that article details goals and directions going forward.

I also know he doesnt see grass roots as solely premier rugby, he knows the importance of growing the rugby footprint.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You'd think Begg should be able to cobble together a good outcome for Australian Rugby as a whole: referee, solicitor and liberal party lobbyer.
He's used to being on the outer at social events!!!

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I've been privy to the Shute shield to ratings for 2017 if anyone is interested
Any idea what 'total reach' means?

Interesting to note sponsorship broadcast packages on offer for a sizeable amount.
I hear the Shute shield will also be televised in qld this season

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I've been privy to the Shute shield to ratings for 2017 if anyone is interested
Any idea what 'total reach' means?

You mean 2016? Whack'em up.

Reach is the estimate of the show's audience (depending on how measured, it might count eyeballs landing on it for as short as a minute). The nett reach is more interesting in that it takes out duplicate samples of the same viewers. These numbers are all about valuing the thing to flog to advertisers.
Interesting to note sponsorship broadcast packages on offer for a sizeable amount.

That will be the proof of the pudding. The sale of those for actual coin and they're set.

T

TOCC

- is there any reason why the NRC can't shift one week.

Dave, the NRC has already shifted a week, in 2014 and 2015 the start date was on the 21st August, in 2016 with the Stars merging with NSW Country the season shortened and the ARU moved the start date later to the 27th August, which is the date that Begg has now booked in for the Shute Shield GF.

As announced in October last year, Fiji will include a team in the 2017 NRC, already this means that the tournament will be one week longer, if the NRC were then to move 1 week later on top of this then the NRC GF wouldn't be held until the 5th November.

Super Rugby clubs use the month window post NRC GF for the players holiday, who are entitled to 4 weeks consecutive leave. In 2016 this allowed Super Rugby teams to have a 4 week pre-season training block before Christmas leave.

If the NRC GF shifts to the 5th November, then the Super Rugby December block preseason is halved to just 2 weeks. That's simply not good enough for professional athletes. 3 weeks maybe, but not 2, and that's why it won't and can't happen.

Players are entitled to and deserve their holidays, but professional players need their pre-season.. NRC GF can't be any later then the 1st Nov or it's either going to clash with the RUPA CBA or the Super Rugby pre-season training block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Dave, the NRC has already shifted a week, in 2014 and 2015 the start date was on the 21st August, in 2016 with the Stars merging with NSW Country the season shortened and the ARU moved the start date later to the 27th August, which is the date that Begg has now booked in for the Shute Shield GF.

As announced in October last year, Fiji will include a team in the 2017 NRC, already this means that the tournament will be one week longer, if the NRC were then to move 1 week later on top of this then the NRC GF wouldn't be held until the 5th November.

Super Rugby clubs use the month window post NRC GF for the players holiday, who are entitled to 4 weeks consecutive leave. In 2016 this allowed Super Rugby teams to have a 4 week pre-season training block before Christmas leave.

If the NRC GF shifts to the 5th November, then the Super Rugby December block preseason is halved to just 2 weeks. That's simply not good enough for professional athletes. 3 weeks maybe, but not 2, and that's why it won't and can't happen.

Players are entitled to and deserve their holidays, but professional players need their pre-season.. NRC GF can't be any later then the 1st Nov or it's either going to clash with the RUPA CBA or the Super Rugby pre-season training block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You've made some very good points TOCC, most especially about player welfare. Makes me wonder whether the ARU considered the impact on the SS when adding another team to the NRC, or even discussed it with the SRU. Sure the SRU were aware of the extra team before they released the draw for the SS but, also with player welfare in mind, they decided to start the season later to avoid the heat as much as possible and also allow the various 7s tournaments and trials to be played. Remebering that the other Premier Rugby comps in Qld, Vic, ACT and WA all have fewer teams and play full home-and-away comps so it's easier for them to fit in with the NRC and Super Rugby. As I've said before, the SS provides more players to these comps than the other premier Rugby comps so deserves some level of consideration.

As has been suggested in earlier posts, there needs to be coordination and consideration of the needs of all parties by a central body ie the ARU rather than everyone doing their own thing.

Some time ago I studied the works of an American statistician called W.Edwards Deming who was largely credited with Japan's post war revival. One of his favourite sayings was roughly "more damage is done to organisations by people trying to do the right thing than has ever been done by people deliberately trying to sabotage it". Sounds very much like the problem rugby has in Australia IMO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Begg's statement about SRU enjoying their autonomy this year, suggests the draw is more about proving a point,than player welfare.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Begg's statement about SRU enjoying their autonomy this year, suggests the draw is more about proving a point,than player welfare.

I guess each of us will read between the lines and draw our own conclusions, but I'm curious to know what point you think the draw is trying to prove.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My interpration is that without financial support from ARU,the SRU are free to do what they want,when they want,without regard to the ARU's preferences.

What do you think his statement about SRU enjoying their autonomy meant?.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
My interpration is that without financial support from ARU,the SRU are free to do what they want,when they want,without regard to the ARU's preferences.

I agree with your interpretation, but I don't accept there was any ulterior motive as some have suggested. If the ARU doesn't want the various components of rugby to work autonomously then they need to provide better leadership.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Yeah, that seems to be what he is suggesting. Let the SRU and Begg enjoy their autonomy, I say.

Move the amateur calendar? Great. Soon enough, these seasons will overlap anyway.

There are limits to autonomy, though. If the Sydney Rugby Union want their muddied oafs to remain playing "rugby union" then they can't just do whatever they want.

It's the difference between independence and mere 'autonomy', as shown by the contrast between between the rugbys league and union here. The ARL actually *can* do nearly anything they want; they're virtually independent.

Not so the ARU. And even less so, the SRU. Beggars can't be choosers.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A little bit of creative tension is a good thing, innit?

It is, after all, a little bit of grit that produces the pearl in the oyster.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

It's a specious argument though. ARU provides funding to the State Unions. NSWRU funds the SRU.

Same as every other State. Who do seem to continue to cooperate.

If the funding was truly cut they'd REALLY have something to fuss about.

Status
Not open for further replies.