• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The clubs behind the Rays did. The rest is negligible. The Rams are owned and financed independently with three of the SS clubs as minority stakeholders and the Eagles are still majority privately owned as well if I remember correctly. The ARU offered the clubs an olive branch by being able to be involved in the NRC. Something no other club from any other competition was afforded to the same degree and to thank them for it they have just spat in their face.

I've been an avid fan of club Rugby for as long as I can remember and a Randwick fan most of my life, but this move ignores what's best for everyone in an attempt to scupper something the game has desperately needed for 20 years. And it's intentional in every aspect of its execution.

Contrary to the bullshit they started off with declaring the need to return to the 22 round season for the sake of the financial stability of the clubs they kept the 18 round structure they imposed on themselves while starting it a fortnight later and adding in a bye round all with the express purpose interrupting and hopefully ending the NRC.

Your comments are derogatory the clubs worked for hours just to try and benefit the National game throwing in upwards of 60 k in some instances and you are saying the ARU handed everything to the clubs(olive branches) like it has tried to help the clubs out. All the ARU has done is not fund it themselves because they don't want to go bankrupt instead they would prefer to see the clubs go under.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Your comments are derogatory the clubs worked for hours just to try and benefit the National game throwing in upwards of 60 k in some instances and you are saying the ARU handed everything to the clubs(olive branches) like it has tried to help the clubs out. All the ARU has done is not fund it themselves because they don't want to go bankrupt instead they would prefer to see the clubs go under.
True.
But WCR does always back up his comments, and didn't shoot of stupid random comments.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

First of all, only four clubs have contributed any real level of financing to NRC franchises and that are those involved in the Rays. Second, the olive branch was the option of actually holding a stake in the NSW franchises. Something no other club competition as a whole was afforded. And third, your final sentence is pure parochial bullshit. The ARU doesn't want the clubs to go bankrupt. Re-evaluate their business models in order to achieve a level of sustainability, yes, but bankrupt no.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
NSW country Eagles twitter account seems to be interpreting this draw as a deliberate way of undermining the NRC. At least that's how I interpret this: "Imagine if everyone could work in collaboration. I stand by comment of 'make rugby ONE again' Shute Shield needs to understand it's place" https://t.co/pZvUubBlFp. That was responding to a tweet someone made about the SS hating the NRC. So at least according to the Eagles this is a big issue, big enough to tweet about.

Another comment I'll make is that its clear due to the episode with the brumbies wanting Tom Staniforth to play in the NPC that the ARU have the power to force contracted players to play in the NRC.

I think there might be a solution of sorts however. There are 3 NSW teams who will have 3 derbies and also three byes.

Schedule all their derbies and byes in the first three weeks of the comp so that they have time to catch up with the other teams whilst only playing against each other. Schedule round 1s derbie in NSW country (Dubbo, Tamworth, Orange, somewhere far away) so as not to be in competition for a crowd that will likely go to the SSGF.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^^^ the person running the East Rugby twitter account don't agree with the Eagles tweeter in response they've said 'extraordinary comment'

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
First of all, only four clubs have contributed any real level of financing to NRC franchises and that are those involved in the Rays. Second, the olive branch was the option of actually holding a stake in the NSW franchises. Something no other club competition as a whole was afforded. And third, your final sentence is pure parochial bullshit. The ARU doesn't want the clubs to go bankrupt. Re-evaluate their business models in order to achieve a level of sustainability, yes, but bankrupt no.
True.
But as above, AD does provide back up to his comments and is fair.

I now know there has been total consultation with all bodies along the way. In no way was there an intentional snub of the NRC or ARU, all bodies paid particular attention to player welfare and that resulted in the bye - trials, comp, finals (7s if applicable), and 4 teams won't have an oval until 1st April.

I think it was coach that made the good point above and i hadn't thought about it - number of teams in the respective Premier comps.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can't look at share holdings four years on,to diminish the NRC's dependence on SS clubs at inception.
There may well have been 25 submissions/tenders for teams, but many entities were involved in duplicate submissions.
All but one SS club invested money into franchises, which was 40% of the initial comp.

Like it or not, without SS clubs buy in,the NRC was a non starter.

Where do you find the official start date for the NRC ?

Or is all this rage based on unfounded assumptions?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
ILTW - yeah its a rage.
NRC start date, a number of pages back i noted the announcement date, and the start date.

In the last couple of pages i posted 2 you tubes of tah players giving back to grass roots in club brand - shows kids and parents the path juniors, club, tahs.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
You can't look at share holdings four years on,to diminish the NRC's dependence on SS clubs at inception.
There may well have been 25 submissions/tenders for teams, but many entities were involved in duplicate submissions.
All but one SS club invested money into franchises, which was 40% of the initial comp.

Like it or not, without SS clubs buy in,the NRC was a non starter.

Where do you find the official start date for the NRC ?

Or is all this rage based on unfounded assumptions?

Randwick and Easts invested precisely $0 dollars in the Eagles both in its first season and the two that have followed since. Their partnership only goes as far as acting as feeder clubs. Pretty similar arrangement with the three clubs attached to the Rams. While both Penrith and Eastwood decline any involvement.

The Stars brought in Balmain from subbies to help out with financing them alongside Uni.

Of the first four clubs only two had significant financial commitments from SS clubs while two were actually privately run concerns. Even then, we don't know how invested Uni were. So at best the SS clubs contributed to two franchises at the beginning. With only one of them being solely reliant on them in order to operate.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's not right at all.

To describe the Stars as primarily funded by Balmain is ridiculous.

The Rams largest shareholder might have not been a SS club, but 3 SS clubs invested in the franchise.

Who owns the country franchise?
How would they go without the full support of the two 'feeder clubs'?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's not right at all.

To describe the Stars as primarily funded by Balmain is ridiculous.

The Rams largest shareholder might have not been a SS club, but 3 SS clubs invested in the franchise.

Who owns the country franchise?
How would they go without the full support of the two 'feeder clubs'?

Read what I wrote not what you want to see. I never said the Stars were primarily funded by Balmain. I said they were brought in to help out with the funding side. It could have been a 50/50 split or an arrange,ent were Balmain foot the bill and Uni the talent. Who knows.

Rugbyfuture who still pops up here from time to time provided details on the investment of the three clubs aligned with the Rams. All hold 5% each and don't contribute financially to the franchise.

How would Country who are even now majority privately operated do without the support of the feeder clubs? Probably about the same. Something that has been apparent is that players are willing to chase opportunity. The Eagles would have just had to recruit them a little harder. The NRC operates (or did) in a different window to club rugby so what's to stop them from choosing.

Whether the clubs were involved or not, we'd still see players from each feature in the NRC. Not necessarily at the same franchises as they do at present but nonetheless they would feature.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I know there was financial contribution (from a number), and more importantly substantial good will contribution from all clubs and SRU to support the best structure of the NRC going forward. With out the vested good will by working together it would have been an absolute CLUSTERFUCK, you can't ignore the vested goodwill.

Despite all parties communicating and arriving with agreed draws, still the question has not been answered - is there any reason why the NRC can't shift one week.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I know there was financial contribution (from a number), and more importantly substantial good will contribution from all clubs and SRU to support the best structure of the NRC going forward. With out the vested good will by working together it would have been an absolute CLUSTERFUCK, you can't ignore the vested goodwill.

Despite all parties communicating and arriving with agreed draws, still the question has not been answered - is there any reason why the NRC can't shift one week.

Or even 2 or 3 weeks if time is required for pre-comp training etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.