• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I'll tell you one thing for sure. I WILL watch the SS no matter whatever clash is happening.

You'll be hoping then, that the ARU is sufficiently altruistic under very trying circumstances, to continue to fund SS broadcasting. Make sure you give them some kudos as you do.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
You'll be hoping then, that the ARU is sufficiently altruistic under very trying circumstances, to continue to fund SS broadcasting. Make sure you give them some kudos as you do.

Begg mentioned that they were going to try and find the funding themselves. We'll see if that is even remotely possible. If they do come cap in hand to the ARU I would find it hard to be critical of the ARU if they refused. I'd rather see that money invested somewhere else to be frank at the moment.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I find it amazing that people are interpreting the SS draw as a deliberate attempt to undermine the NRC. Why do the clubs want to do that? My understanding is that the clubs are fully supportive of the NRC so why would they undermine it?

I believe the change back to an April start is more about allowing time for 7s comps in Feb (including the Sydney 7s) and trials in March, avoiding the heat of that period for comp games. As I said in a previous post, the draft SS draw was available on 22/12 and my club, Randwick, published its timetable of trials (throughout Feb/Mar) on 5/12 so the timing for the start of the SS has been known since then.

The fact that we haven't seen any comment from the ARU, NSWRU or NRC would seem to suggest they don't have a problem with it, or have I missed their complaints?

I'd suggest instead of predicting that players will not be allowed to play in the GF etc we perhaps should wait and see.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Begg mentioned that they were going to try and find the funding themselves. We'll see if that is even remotely possible. If they do come cap in hand to the ARU I would find it hard to be critical of the ARU if they refused. I'd rather see that money invested somewhere else to be frank at the moment.

This has always been about cash for the SRU and their constituent SS clubs. If they have the cash, proceed in all haste.

dru

David Wilson (68)
As I said in a previous post, the draft SS draw was available on 22/12

SRU/Begg press release on their new found "freedom" (to intentionally ignore the ARU and withut coordation set a timetable at best ignoring other rugby requirements in NSW) was reported on the 20.12.16 Not surprised your draft schedule followed days later.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
SRU/Begg press release on their new found "freedom" (to intentionally ignore the ARU and withut coordation set a timetable at best ignoring other rugby requirements in NSW) was reported on the 20.12.16 Not surprised your draft schedule followed days later.

I haven't seen the press release -- do you have a copy or link?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave

The SRU did not work together, they intentionally attacked in order to damage the NRC. It is not a "Premier Rugby" issue, quite from it. The QPR has avoided the situation, presumably they have "worked together". It is a complete and repeated misdirection from the SRU to classify these issues as "Premier Rugby" and ""grass roots".

The comment is understanable, not dumb arse.

You perpetuate this misderection of "premier clubs" but should not be surprised when recieving responses that hit the target - SRU and the SS clubs.

Yes, those clubs who have supported the NRC you would think would be supported by those who are frustrated by the antics of the SRU. But it is duplicitous when they remain mute or add to the grass roots argufication in the background. For the life of me, I don't understand why clubs like the Marlins and supporters like yourself are not speaking against Begg's actions.

And while this continues, it may be a broad brush, but you paint yourselves.

Dru, I will say it again - bodies working together.

Telling a body to fuck off from the boundry (ACT) provides no constructive way forward at all.

I also said "as always" as that post typified Slim relentless posts on the SS.

Quite ironic people bag the ARU, bag SJRU, bag SS but do it all from behind a key board - whilst doing???????

I think Pulver has made some great steps, things at times have been communicated not the way it was meant.

I have also seen some great work functions in progress as well, which will show the importance of Premier Rugby having a role in growing rugbys share of the sporting market.

Dumb arse comments - seriously Dru, what good comes from a one liner like that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With Concord Oval, Rat Park, TG Milner, Sydney Uni, rugby grounds all available and not competing with cricket - is there a reason why the NRC can't start after Premier Rugby?

The NRC is about bringing players through to the next level, creating depth, providing exposure.

Ask any young colt, or grade player - would they much rather be playing or watching, if the answer is playing, it's in rugby s best interest to enable this to happen.

Be sensible with the responses, why cant it start a week later.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
With Concord Oval, Rat Park, TG Milner, Sydney Uni, rugby grounds all available and not competing with cricket - is there a reason why the NRC can't start after Premier Rugby?

The NRC is about bringing players through to the next level, creating depth, providing exposure.

Ask any young colt, or grade player - would they much rather be playing or watching, if the answer is playing, it's in rugby s best interest to enable this to happen.

I agree Dave!

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you in the past talked about the need for an extended season in order to keep players engaged? How does with the exception of a bye round the upcoming season address that. It only pushes the season back a few weeks. It doesn't actually increase any level of engagement.

It was why you were in favour of the return to the old 22 round structure, was it not?

This draw does nothing to address that nor the apparent need to bolster club finances.

What is also interesting is that the original agreement for the NRC franchises was for three seasons. That means that unless I'm mistaken that commitment has lapsed and surprise, surprise we have this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Telling a body to fuck off from the boundry (ACT) provides no constructive way forward at all.

I'm actually in VIC, but I'll happy represent all of the states and territories (except for Qld) when I proclaim that the SRU can go eat a bag of dicks..........

It may not be productive, but it's a well earned sentiment.

Reactions: dru

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm actually in VIC, but I'll happy represent all of the states and territories (except for Qld) when I proclaim that the SRU can go eat a bag of dicks....

It may not be productive, but it's a well earned sentiment.

Qld Premier Rugby (Hospital Cup)
9 teams, full home and away, 1 bye
Victoria Premier Rugby (Dewar Shield)
9 teams, full home and away, 1 bye
ACT Premier Rugby (John I Dent Cup)
7 teams, full home and away + each team plays 2 teams 3 times, 3 byes
WA Premier Rugby (Pindan Premier Grade)
10 teams, full home and away, no byes

Given the fact that Sydney Rugby has more clubs and provides more Super and NRC players than the other states, if the SRU really wanted to stuff the ARU and the NRC they would have reverted to full home and away like the other states (ie 22 rounds) and finished mid September.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you in the past talked about the need for an extended season in order to keep players engaged? How does with the exception of a bye round the upcoming season address that. It only pushes the season back a few weeks. It doesn't actually increase any level of engagement.

It was why you were in favour of the return to the old 22 round structure, was it not?

This draw does nothing to address that nor the apparent need to bolster club finances.

What is also interesting is that the original agreement for the NRC franchises was for three seasons. That means that unless I'm mistaken that commitment has lapsed and surprise, surprise we have this.

I'm trying to have a fishing season at present.

Whilst i do like the idea of 22 rounds fitting that in and being logistical sensible an increase from 16 to 18 is more games
The bye, well I'd have it penciled in after the 18th round, and only used if we need at weather cover.

I believe there have been a number of moving of goal posts, lapses, changes to agreements - going into that in me detail will only result in unproductive finger pointing.

I enjoy rugby (club, NRC, Soup, Test) - i simply see club rugby as a great tool to expose and engage more people and grow rugby.

Above questiom, is there any reason why the NRC can't take advantage of the ovals and shift 1 week.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Whilst i do like the idea of 22 rounds fitting that in and being logistical sensible an increase from 16 to 18 is more games
The bye, well I'd have it penciled in after the 18th round, and only used if we need at weather cover.

I believe there have been a number of moving of goal posts, lapses, changes to agreements - going into that in me detail will only result in unproductive finger pointing.

I enjoy rugby (club, NRC, Soup, Test) - i simply see club rugby as a great tool to expose and engage more people and grow rugby.

Above questiom, is there any reason why the NRC can't take advantage of the ovals and shift 1 week.

Not only does the schedule conflict with the start of the NRC it interferes with the franchises lead in. Instead of having 3 or so weeks to prepare they have to go from one to another with little to no preparation. This goes further than just a single round.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Certainly reeled in some big ones on this forum, Dave ;)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And it impacted upon the quality of those seasons. This past season with the extra lead in saw a marked jump in the quality.
Gee our test players who start soup in Feb, and finish with the EOYT - that must be why we lost a couple in the UK.

Think the fact best players were picked in lieu of club quota had a bit to do with it.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
You're kidding right? The Shute used to be 22 rounds at one point. Right across the grades. I know this as I played Colts at that level. There was a bye round then but it was used to catch up on games that were washed out. Which seemed to happen every year so we tended to play through. The volunteers didn't need a break then, what's changed now. Oh, that's right. The NRC.

This is a deliverate attempt to interfere with a much needed structure. It's clearly obvious. There are other options. All very workable apart from the one they've chosen. All wouldn't see any crossover but looky what we've got.

The bye falls on the weekend that the Wallabies play Scottland in Sydney for an afternoon game.

As a current volunteer, I will appreciate being able to go to the Wallabies game without missing out helping my club.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The bye falls on the weekend that the Wallabies play Scottland in Sydney for an afternoon game.

As a current volunteer, I will appreciate being able to go to the Wallabies game without missing out helping my club.
How good is that, an arvo test, club rugby having great vision to plan around / work with the great initiativr of the ARU to maximise exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.