• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heard a rumour but not sure how true but sounded like something that could happen
Shute Shield being sponsored by a large airline but not Qantas
3year deal and some of the money will cover costs for game of the day through 7mate live with delay into Brisbane, NZ,Japan,USA and a possible EU sports station taking it into Europe. All this will help with the cost of getting the game on 7mate but the sponsorship would still be enough to cover the costs.
Be great if it happens.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Local boy.
Local junior club.
Local high school system.
Shute Shield Colts.
Shute Shield Grade.
NRC
Soup Team
Wallaby.

Hard Work & the Importance of Grass Roots Rugby - and staying in touch.

15589695_10154983604767722_5251829698710517602_n.jpg

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sure the NRC is about lifting the depth of 2nd tier (soup) players, and not about droping first tier (test) players back into 3rd tier rugby.

In my eyes the NRC should start after Premier Rugby so all the aspiring player wanting to step up to the next level get to do so.

The start dates should not be about test players dropping back 2 tiers.

Dave, here is what I mean when I said there was a misunderstanding...

I was not saying the NRC is for test players (though in certain circumstances it has its value to them). The specific player I mentioned, Latu, and others such as Mcmahon, weren't test players playing tier 3, they're guys that proved they were test players BY playing tier 3.

In addition, I think we can both agree the NRC should start after Prems rugby, and it did. Now it doesn't because someone (or a group of people) chose the nuclear option. It's a damn shame.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Dave, here is what I mean when I said there was a misunderstanding.

I was not saying the NRC is for test players (though in certain circumstances it has its value to them). The specific player I mentioned, Latu, and others such as Mcmahon, weren't test players playing tier 3, they're guys that proved they were test players BY playing tier 3.

In addition, I think we can both agree the NRC should start after Prems rugby, and it did. Now it doesn't because someone (or a group of people) chose the nuclear option. It's a damn shame.

How can you say that when the NRC draw hasn't been released yet?

As per my earlier post (#422), there wouldn't be enough players for the NRC if it started before the various Premier rugby comps finished unless you think the SS is going to play the finals' series without all the NRC players :confused:

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
How can you say that when the NRC draw hasn't been released yet?

As per my earlier post (#422), there wouldn't be enough players for the NRC if it started before the various Premier rugby comps finished unless you think the SS is going to play the finals' series without all the NRC players :confused:

Because (as stated in my previous posts), the Spring Tour is not moving and there's an additional NRC round this year due to an extra team.

If you think it's the best thing for the NRC (or those players) for them to simply not play NRC for the first round of the year, then that's up to you. I personally do not for reasons I'm sure you can work out.

People complain constantly about the run time into the NRC being too short for prep. This takes key players out and shortens prep time.

Would the 2016 Rays have had an NRC team of 23 considering Norths were in the GF? Would they have had a coach?

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Because (as stated in my previous posts), the Spring Tour is not moving and there's an additional NRC round this year due to an extra team.

If you think it's the best thing for the NRC (or those players) for them to simply not play NRC for the first round of the year, then that's up to you. I personally do not for reasons I'm sure you can work out.

People complain constantly about the run time into the NRC being too short for prep. This takes key players out and shortens prep time.

Would the 2016 Rays have had an NRC team of 23 considering Norths were in the GF? Would they have had a coach?

There are 28 players to an NRC squad so if players are in the GF gives the other guys an opportunity and maybe make the first round game Rays v Eagles with a good chance both teams will have players in the GF.
This is all due to Pulver being seen as the golden child and bringing in the Fijian side what happens if he decides to bring in another team or 2 teams.
Where does pulver see SS sitting. Does the comp start beginning of March with trials early February or just 1 round get it out of the way so his beloved NRC can be played.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
How dare players play for the Wallabies instead of their NRC team
What Wallabies were running around in the NRC this year, or last year?
I had thought one of the drivers of the NRC was unearthing, developing and providing a pathway for "new talent" and not simply sticking contracted players in a team.

Plenty of people seem to want to slag off SS for doing the best they can to work around the cricket season - but seriously is there any reason why the NRC with some of the quality "rugby"grounds available cant also adjust a little as well.

Dave, Dave, Dave. I put up this argument "many moons ago" and was howled down by the cliteratie. I stand by my comments that the NRC was about giving younger blokes a go, and let the "already there's" move aside for a bit.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Whats stopping the NRC playing 2 games in a week they are all on contract after all aren't they?

I.e Wednesday night/Sunday night

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Also "many moons" ago in the deep dark past - probably early last year ;) I made a comment about finishing the SS season early was detrimental to those young players who just want to play rugby.

At the time I said that perhaps they can go back to their old "local" club and play the last few games of their competition.

Well the Central Coast Rugby Union has blown that one out of the water by banning any SS players for coming back to play for the old local club. Apparently it is unfair and could potentially put one of the top clubs out of the semis.

Where do the young players go now for a game of Rugby on a Saturday ??????

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, Dave, Dave. I put up this argument "many moons ago" and was howled down by the cliteratie. I stand by my comments that the NRC was about giving younger blokes a go, and let the "already there's" move aside for a bit.

I know I wouldn't have been one of those howlers;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Did you read my earlier post?
What's the Spring Tour got to do with the timing of the NRC?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Also "many moons" ago in the deep dark past - probably early last year ;) I made a comment about finishing the SS season early was detrimental to those young players who just want to play rugby.

At the time I said that perhaps they can go back to their old "local" club and play the last few games of their competition.

Well the Central Coast Rugby Union has blown that one out of the water by banning any SS players for coming back to play for the old local club. Apparently it is unfair and could potentially put one of the top clubs out of the semis.

Where do the young players go now for a game of Rugby on a Saturday ??????

Stopping players play a full season is not good, what do all the players do who didn't make the NRC do. & there are some quality players out there that may not.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

The problem with the NRC is that its the ARU's low/no cost option for finding out which promising players in Shute Shield and equivalents might make the grade.
Its a typically inefficient compromise but they think its appropriate to drag money out of the grass roots and pay Pocock $750k to do SFA and Folau more than that to do even less.
The ARU deserve a taste of their own medicine and all the of the hiccups and issues it will create.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem with the NRC is that its the ARU's low/no cost option for finding out which promising players in Shute Shield and equivalents might make the grade.
Its a typically inefficient compromise but they think its appropriate to drag money out of the grass roots and pay Pocock $750k to do SFA and Folau more than that to do even less.
The ARU deserve a taste of their own medicine and all the of the hiccups and issues it will create.

Why doesn't the ARU should ban overseas players from Super rugby ie those who aren't eligible for the Wallabies? That would see more premier rugby players given a chance to show what they can do at a higher level. This year we had 2 of the 5 first choice half backs from o/s. How does that help build depth for the Wallabies?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why doesn't the ARU should ban overseas players from Super rugby ie those who aren't eligible for the Wallabies? That would see more premier rugby players given a chance to show what they can do at a higher level. This year we had 2 of the 5 first choice half backs from o/s. How does that help build depth for the Wallabies?
And our best 9 didnt even play soup.
So we dont give young kids a chance coming up, and we parachute players in as well.
Need a pathway.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
And our best 9 didnt even play soup.
So we dont give young kids a chance coming up, and we parachute players in as well.
Totally agree, Western Force is almost another South African team only thing is Western Force get the guys who cannot make the South African 5 sides so how are they supposed to help the Force improve.
I have always felt overseas players should not be allowed to play for an Aust Super team.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I believe initially the Rebels and Force were allowed extra o/s players to help them get established but the Force have now been around for 10 years and the Rebels for 6, so there are either enough good players in Oz to support 5 teams or we should reduce the number of teams. And why the bloody hell have the Brumbies got an Argentinian scrum half?

Status
Not open for further replies.